yconic - Guaranteed Coop
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Guaranteed Coop

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
I read this on the WLU site.

"Beginning in Year 2, students enrolled in the Business and Math double degree program are required to participate in co-op. An information session explaining the co-op program will be held in the winter term of Year 1, and students are required to attend workshops during orientation week in Year 2. "

Is it true that double degree programs gets guaranteed coop opportunities without competing with other BBA students?

And when a school refers "98% coop placement," does 98% of the kids who received a coop interview gets coop?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
41 replies

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
It means you dont have to apply in order to get into the co-op program so yes.

98% rate means that 98% of the people trying to get jobs will get jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
There is no such thing as Guaranteed Coop anymore

@noxx98 wrote

No it doesn't. And if it does, the numbers are manipulated
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote
There is no such thing as Guaranteed Coop anymore

@noxx98 wrote

No it doesn't. And if it does, the numbers are manipulated

Waterloo AFM-PA had 99% placement this past work term, the lowest it's been in the past few years.

True story, but not all schools have poor placement rates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of paramecium paramecium
What kind of skills can you use with only 8 months of University experience anyway?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@paramecium wrote
What kind of skills can you use with only 8 months of University experience anyway?

It depends on what you are going through for, and the individual person.

But one of the purposes of co-op is for you to learn and them to teach you. They get tax credits and cheap labour. You will often do menial tasks, and they will show you how to do stuff and work your way up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Waterloo AFM-PA had 99% placement this past work term, the lowest it's been in the past few years.

Those numbers are inflated. Waterloo's coop numbers are very high, but not 99%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Where are your sources? There are sources to back up my information. I have already shown them to you.

They are not inflated. Waterloo is a superior program when examining co-op figures.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

I wouldn't be surprised. There are plenty of entry accounting jobs (data entry and other menial tasks) and considering the low amount of AFM students, the low wages, and tax credits, it's not too far fetched.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
^^Agreed
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

I wouldn't be surprised. There are plenty of entry accounting jobs (data entry and other menial tasks) and considering the low amount of AFM students, the low wages, and tax credits, it's not too far fetched.

Although 35% are Big 4 positions and roughly 75% are CATO (not to mention a couple in finance positions), which are hardly menial. Some of the remainder could be, but far from most.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Where are your sources? There are sources to back up my information. I have already shown them to you.

They are not inflated. Waterloo is a superior program when examining co-op figures.

The 99% does sound inflated, I'm pretty sure the co-op placement rate was closer to low 90ish % for accounting & finance programs at UW.

On a side note, interesting fact: Waterloo does have the largest co-op program in the world!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Junction wrote
Waterloo does have the largest co-op program in the world!

I did not know that. That is pretty special!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Junction wrote

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

The 99% does sound inflated, I'm pretty sure the co-op placement rate was closer to low 90ish % for accounting & finance programs at UW.

On a side note, interesting fact: Waterloo does have the largest co-op program in the world!

99% for PA and 96% for FM (1 person in PA didn't get a job) - first work term
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Your source is the University of Waterloo website... Reporting THEIR OWN coop numbers. Forgive me if I have a hard time believing that the numbers are not inflated
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

That one person ****ed up lol. Seriously though, the difference between the two is minimal then since they both do well co-op wise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Junction wrote

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

That sounds about right, but I think a few of them cut it pretty close of getting a job before the required time.

Just wanted to throw it out there being in Co-op at any university program doesn't guarantee that one finds a co-op job. It makes it much easier because the schools have devoted resources to helping students succeed as well as finding co-op jobs in the fall/winter terms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Your source is the University of Waterloo website... Reporting THEIR OWN coop numbers. Forgive me if I have a hard time believing that the numbers are not inflated

It is not a site that everyone has access to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Junction wrote

@g93 wrote

@Junction wrote

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

That sounds about right, but I think a few of them cut it pretty close of getting a job before the required time.

Just wanted to throw it out there being in Co-op at any university program doesn't guarantee that one finds a co-op job. It makes it much easier because the schools have devoted resources to helping students succeed as well as finding co-op jobs in the fall/winter terms.

Certainly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
Although 35% are Big 4 positions and roughly 75% are CATO (not to mention a couple in finance positions), which are hardly menial. Some of the remainder could be, but far from most.

There is your coop rate
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

There is your coop rate

No, that is the CATO rate, which is insanely high compared to other programs. A co-op job at a firm that isn't a CATO is still valuable. What is Brock's CATO rate? 10%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

There is your coop rate

No, that is the CATO rate, which is insanely high compared to other programs. A co-op job at a firm that isn't a CATO is still valuable. What is Brock's CATO rate? 10%?

So you think it's reasonable that people who are in the accounting program and get a coop placement as a bank teller should be counted as successfully landing a coop placement? I'm sorry, if i was going into Waterloo's accounting program, I would only be concerned about the CATO rate.

LOL you mad? Have to go after Brock now? Here is a perfect example of how a school inflates their numbers
http://brocku.ca/co-op/future-students/what-is-co-op
"•Nearly 100 % placement rates for students across all programs — one of the highest and most consistent placement rates in the country."
I mean the site says it so it must be true right? Who cares whether the coop spots are not at CATO training firms?

Please bring me a Waterloo Student who has finished first year, and if they can honestly tell me every single person in their program got a placement, I will believe you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote

Please bring me a Waterloo Student who has finished first year, and if they can honestly tell me every single person in their program got a placement, I will believe you.

I'm in my second year at UW right now, and not everyone gets co-op placements.

The stats previous posters have said are pretty accurate, around 30% of students in the accounting stream do get Big4 jobs and such.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Junction wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

I'm in my second year at UW right now, and not everyone gets co-op placements.

The stats previous posters have said are pretty accurate, around 30% of students in the accounting stream do get Big4 jobs and such.

So you'd say around 75% are CATO jobs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

There is your coop rate

So you think it's reasonable that people who are in the accounting program and get a coop placement as a bank teller should be counted as successfully landing a coop placement? I'm sorry, if i was going into Waterloo's accounting program, I would only be concerned about the CATO rate.

hich is miles ahead of any other program's rates.

You are simply assuming that people in Waterloo work as bank tellers. Do you have anything to prove this? I have sources to show that it isn't true for the majority. Hbu?

[quote=kiddinaround]
LOL you mad? Have to go after Brock now? Here is a perfect example of how a school inflates their numbers
http://brocku.ca/co-op/future-students/what-is-co-op
"•Nearly 100 % placement rates for students across all programs — one of the highest and most consistent placement rates in the country."
I mean the site says it so it must be true right? Who cares whether the coop spots are not at CATO training firms?[/QUOTE]Waterloo clearly has the best co-op numbers. Okay, you want to take them down a notch. Well then every other program must be as well (including Brock, where you are a student at), so Waterloo is still at the top.

@kiddinaround wrote

se the search function. Seriously.
Was this helpful? Yes 0