yconic - Guelph BComm
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Guelph BComm

A photo of g93 g93
If anyone is considering Guelph BComm, has applied to it, are in the program, know anyone in the program, or have any relevant information, please leave a reply or PM me.

I need some more info on this program to decide what to do. I've already researched it, I'm looking for 3rd party info. I will have no troubles getting in at all.

[size=9]ANYONE ???????????[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of g93 g93
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I would probably get a ton of scholarship money from Guelph- would this make it worth it to attend Guelph over Brock BAcc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of truongalong truongalong
It's new. I don't think a lot of people even know about it.
Why don't you apply to both?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair
I'm also stuck in a similar situation because I don't know how much the reputation of a program should factor into my decision of choosing a program.

Let's suppose Program A is more prestigous (and harder to get into) than Program B but Program B is offering you more scholarships and financial aid. Which one would you go to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@truongalong wrote
It's new. I don't think a lot of people even know about it.
Why don't you apply to both?

That's true.

Extra $$, plus there's not much of a difference between choosing now and choosing later (final decision).

The chances of me getting into AFM-PA, BBA or alternate offer to Honours Ec is >99% anyways. I think I'll just go with Guelph, wth.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of truongalong truongalong

@missblair wrote
I'm also stuck in a similar situation because I don't know how much the reputation of a program should factor into my decision of choosing a program.

Let's suppose Program A is more prestigous (and harder to get into) than Program B but Program B is offering you more scholarships and financial aid. Which one would you go to?

In g93's situation.. Program A: Brock. Program B: Guelph.

I'd apply to Brock>Guelph. It's an accredited program, and you get coop/work experience with it.

Guelph is relatively new but if I was in financial need, I'd go to Guelph.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair

@truongalong wrote

@missblair wrote

In g93's situation.. Program A: Brock. Program B: Guelph.

I'd apply to Brock>Guelph. It's an accredited program, and you get coop/work experience with it.

Guelph is relatively new but if I was in financial need, I'd go to Guelph.

Yeah, if i was in g93's situation I'd probably choose Brock BAcc over Guelph. Not sure if Guelph has co-op but you'll be making some money in co-op @ Brock (and I think their scholarships for a 90% avg is $8000 over 4 years so that's pretty good too).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
As a current brock student with absolutely no bias ( ;) ) i would suggest Brock.

From what I have been told, Guelph Bcomm is a joke. It has very little recognition and if you ask most people about it, the answer tends to be, "Guelph has a business program?".

Brock Accounting is accredited and is a great program for someone looking to go into accounting. However if you want accounting and you want a big four placement, go to Waterloo or Queens if you have the marks. (Yes Queens, big four recruitment is rather large there for the quality of the accounting program)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Thanks for the replies, but I think i'm going to choose Guelph. I could live at home, and the chances of me not getting into any of the other porgrams is very, very small anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of tj1 tj1
I've been following this forum for a while ever since I was younger trying to decide where I would end up for post-secondary education. After reading many opinions, you have to realize that a lot of them are from people that are still prospective students and have no real first hand experience with the program. Their opinions also include word of mouth references.

Personally, I believe that your undergrad does not matter. BComm, BBA, etc. I plan on completing my masters after I graduate so to be honest I picked a school that I liked based on every aspect not only academics. The whole point of university is the experience, so before you go out finding a school seeking the highest average so you sit in your dorm all day busting your balls doing homework, think about how many times you will probably be asked about your GPA coming out of university. You probably won't be asked. So all that hard work went to nothing?

I am in Guelph for Public Management. I choose this major as it interests me and did not require me to take calculus in high school and does not require me to take calculus in university. I cannot comment on how "easier" or "harder" it is compared to other schools, but as you may know Guelph is more known for it's focus on sciences, agriculture, and veterinary studies. Some friends I have that have graduated from Guelph with their BComm are doing pretty well.

But remember, it's who you know, not what you know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@tj wrote
I've been following this forum for a while ever since I was younger trying to decide where I would end up for post-secondary education. After reading many opinions, you have to realize that a lot of them are from people that are still prospective students and have no real first hand experience with the program. Their opinions also include word of mouth references.

Personally, I believe that your undergrad does not matter. BComm, BBA, etc. I plan on completing my masters after I graduate so to be honest I picked a school that I liked based on every aspect not only academics. The whole point of university is the experience, so before you go out finding a school seeking the highest average so you sit in your dorm all day busting your balls doing homework, think about how many times you will probably be asked about your GPA coming out of university. You probably won't be asked. So all that hard work went to nothing?

I am in Guelph for Public Management. I choose this major as it interests me and did not require me to take calculus in high school and does not require me to take calculus in university. I cannot comment on how "easier" or "harder" it is compared to other schools, but as you may know Guelph is more known for it's focus on sciences, agriculture, and veterinary studies. Some friends I have that have graduated from Guelph with their BComm are doing pretty well.

Assuming he wants a CA, then a school that will give you all 52 credit hours and is accredited by ACASB does matter... He would have to do extra courses after he graduates from guelph...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@tj wrote

Assuming he wants a CA, then a school that will give you all 52 credit hours and is accredited by ACASB does matter... He would have to do extra courses after he graduates from guelph...

1 Credit hours. Guelph has most and will most likely have all 51 acrredited by ICAO by next year.

I hope I'll get (really) early admission to Guelph. That'd be nice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0