yconic - Guelph, Queen's or McMaster for engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Guelph, Queen's or McMaster for engineering?

A photo of mtay mtay
I just finished my first semester of engineering at Guelph and think I want to switch streams. Right now I'm in biomedical but am thinking about going into mechanical or chemical. I used to want to take advantage of the environmental engineering program at Guelph but upon further research, it seems like there's not much an enviro engineer can do that a mech or chem engineer can't. I really like going to school at Guelph, but don't know a lot about their mechanical engineering program. They also don't have a chemical program which could be an issue. Now's the time when I would be switching schools so I want to make the right decision.

I was wondering if anyone knew much about Guelph vs. Queen's vs. McMaster. I'm leaning towards mech right now so any comments on that stream in particular would be appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I go to Mac and the first year of eng here is general, you only declare at the end of your 1st year what type of eng you want to specialize in. One of my roomies is in civil so I don't know too much about mech but I think the eng program is decent here. First year is tough and definitely meant to weed out people, my roomie graduated high school with a 90+ average and was in IB etc and even she struggled in first year. She also takes 7 courses/semester (but I think that's the norm for engineering everywhere). She's not in co-op but there is co-op available.

I don't know anything about Guelph eng and I've heard that Queen's eng is quite competitive. Have you considered Waterloo? My best friend is in chem eng at Waterloo and the co-op they have there is pretty great, she pretty much has a job set up for her when she graduates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mtay mtay
I know that Waterloo has a really good engineering program but I'm not really considering transferring there. My sister just finished there, and while it is a great school, I don't think it's the school for me. I have a few friends at Queen's and they seem to like it a lot. Guelph has a great atmosphere, and I know it has a good reputation for biomed, enviro and, I think, water resources engineering but I don't know about the others.

Truth be told I've been very happy at Guelph but I never thought I'd end up in mech engineering. Queen's is the main other school I'm looking at right now but I am just curious if the quality of the program is significant enough to warrant a transfer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stevebever stevebever
I just got accepted to Queen's Engineering Physics and Chem Eng and Waterloo Chem Eng. I'm in the same boat as you and just as indecisive...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stevebever stevebever
BTW best advice is just go with what feels right (I know that sounds cliche and it is but it's true)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig

@stevebever wrote
I just got accepted to Queen's Engineering Physics and Chem Eng and Waterloo Chem Eng. I'm in the same boat as you and just as indecisive...

I've applied to eng physics too, but my application is not yet processed (ouac is on christmas break ;( ). If you don't mind me asking what was your grade 11 average? have you completed many grade 12 courses allready?
Was this helpful? Yes 0