yconic - Guelph's Biomed program...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Guelph's Biomed program...

A photo of pupil pupil
My overall average for grade 12 will be a 90+, with top six most likely being 94+. Is this competitive for Guelph Biomed and what are the other components of the application? For any students currently in the program, how are you finding it? Are there many research opportunities at Guelph?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov
no you have absolutely 0 chance of admission.

Seriously what kind of answer are you hoping for? Do any of us look like Guelph representatives?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pupil pupil

@Comradeponov wrote
no you have absolutely 0 chance of admission.

Seriously what kind of answer are you hoping for? Do any of us look like Guelph representatives?

There is very limited information on the Guelph Biomed website and I was simply hoping that someone could direct me to the answers I am looking for. Although you and others may not be Guelph representatives, I would think that I am correct to assume that other people are also applying to the program this year, and what’s more, others are experienced - from previous years - applicants. I figured that some individuals could possibly help me out with my questions.

I would apologize for the discomfort my question evidently caused you, but your rudeness is not deserving of such courtesy.

Best of wishes,
Pupil
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sporty22 sporty22
Hey,

I would say you have a really good spt at the program. I know someone with a 84% that got accepted into Biomed @ Guelph. It's a very good program and slowly becoming prestigious. Heard you get to dissect CADAVERS TOO..ftw!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pupil pupil

@sporty22 wrote
Hey,

I would say you have a really good spt at the program. I know someone with a 84% that got accepted into Biomed @ Guelph. It's a very good program and slowly becoming prestigious. Heard you get to dissect CADAVERS TOO..ftw!

ahaha I heard about the cadavers too! :cheers: I think the program's getting more competitive as well, which is nice to see. Guelph seems like a very homely school :).
Thanks for the response!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
There are tons of research opportunities at Guelph. I'm in my second year (although I'm in dietetics) and I've already had the opportunity to do research with a prof. I'm also taking a research course this coming semester.

There are research courses available as part of the biomed program, or you can pursue research independently or as a summer job/volunteer/NSERC position. The biomed research courses can be found here: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/biom/research/

Guelph is an amazing place - everyone is so friendly here, and there are so many support systems in place. They really want to see their students succeed.

My friends in biomed love that they have the opportunity to take the dissection courses if they wish (there are also prosection courses available for those who don't want to do the actual dissections on human cadavers).

You can find more information on the biomed program here: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/biom/
Some details on admission can be found here:
http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/biom/faq/

If you have any questions about Guelph in general, feel free to ask. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pupil pupil

@CatRunner wrote
There are tons of research opportunities at Guelph. I'm in my second year (although I'm in dietetics) and I've already had the opportunity to do research with a prof. I'm also taking a research course this coming semester.

There are research courses available as part of the biomed program, or you can pursue research independently or as a summer job/volunteer/NSERC position. The biomed research courses can be found here: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/biom/research/

Guelph is an amazing place - everyone is so friendly here, and there are so many support systems in place. They really want to see their students succeed.

My friends in biomed love that they have the opportunity to take the dissection courses if they wish (there are also prosection courses available for those who don't want to do the actual dissections on human cadavers).

You can find more information on the biomed program here: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/biom/
Some details on admission can be found here:
http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/biom/faq/

If you have any questions about Guelph in general, feel free to ask. :)

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your experience at Guelph! I found those links as well, and with some more searching was able to get specific application details - so thanks. How do you find the extracurricular activities available to you? Do you find that you have a enough time to get involved?

Appreciate all your experience!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@pupil wrote

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your experience at Guelph! I found those links as well, and with some more searching was able to get specific application details - so thanks. How do you find the extracurricular activities available to you? Do you find that you have a enough time to get involved?

There are an amazing number of clubs here at Guelph - so many, in fact, that it is hard to just choose one or two to become involved with! I'm a group fitness instructor, so I teach fitness classes at the gym/athletic centre, and that's my main EC. I'm also a member of the AHN Students' Group (Applied Human Nutrition), SNAP (Student Nutrition Awareness Program) and the Equestrian Club (I love horseback riding!) Lots of my friends take part in various intramural sports - I'm just too busy with fitness to join in with those. There are also a lot of volunteer opportunities available - I've already received emails about 3 different opportunities for my program (dietetics) this week. There are certainly lots of opportunities, both on- and off-campus. Both the Wellness Centre: https://www.uoguelph.ca/studenthealthservices/wellness and the Health and Performance Centre: http://www.uoguelph.ca/hpc/ have on-campus volunteer opportunities for students interested in health issues.

I'm pretty good with time management, so I'm able to keep my straight-A average (for scholarships - I'm getting a lot of money from the university) and keep up with those commitments. As I'm a group fitness instructor, I sort-of kill two birds with one stone - I get a workout in while I'm teaching a class (although not as good as a workout as I get on my own - for that I attend my fellow instructors' classes). I also run a few days a week (I love running and have already completed a bunch of half-marathons and a marathon). I'm busy, but I find that when I'm busy I'm better at getting things done - I don't waste time as I don't have any to waste!

It also helps that my first year at Guelph I lived in a Study-Intensive Area in residence. So we had quiet hours and we weren't party animals. We still had fun and went out dancing or to a pub on the weekends, but we weren't staying up until all hours every night and getting drunk. We had fun, but we were also serious about our academics. That's the great thing about Guelph - they have a lot of different residence types - there's basically something for everyone here, whether you want a traditional residence, a study-intensive area, a cluster (a residence just for people in your program), an apartment-style resident (or townhome style) or even family housing for married students and for older students with families.

As I said, there are also plenty of resources on campus to help with studying, with the transition to university, with writing, etc. Many large first-year courses have special study sessions available, where a student who did very well in the course the previous year sits in on the class again this year and helps out the first year students with questions and problems they may have. There are workshops and resources on all kinds of issues - time management, studying, writing papers, health, fitness, stress, exams, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pupil pupil

@CatRunner wrote

@pupil wrote

There are an amazing number of clubs here at Guelph - so many, in fact, that it is hard to just choose one or two to become involved with! I'm a group fitness instructor, so I teach fitness classes at the gym/athletic centre, and that's my main EC. I'm also a member of the AHN Students' Group (Applied Human Nutrition), SNAP (Student Nutrition Awareness Program) and the Equestrian Club (I love horseback riding!) Lots of my friends take part in various intramural sports - I'm just too busy with fitness to join in with those. There are also a lot of volunteer opportunities available - I've already received emails about 3 different opportunities for my program (dietetics) this week. There are certainly lots of opportunities, both on- and off-campus. Both the Wellness Centre: https://www.uoguelph.ca/studenthealthservices/wellness and the Health and Performance Centre: http://www.uoguelph.ca/hpc/ have on-campus volunteer opportunities for students interested in health issues.

I'm pretty good with time management, so I'm able to keep my straight-A average (for scholarships - I'm getting a lot of money from the university) and keep up with those commitments. As I'm a group fitness instructor, I sort-of kill two birds with one stone - I get a workout in while I'm teaching a class (although not as good as a workout as I get on my own - for that I attend my fellow instructors' classes). I also run a few days a week (I love running and have already completed a bunch of half-marathons and a marathon). I'm busy, but I find that when I'm busy I'm better at getting things done - I don't waste time as I don't have any to waste!

It also helps that my first year at Guelph I lived in a Study-Intensive Area in residence. So we had quiet hours and we weren't party animals. We still had fun and went out dancing or to a pub on the weekends, but we weren't staying up until all hours every night and getting drunk. We had fun, but we were also serious about our academics. That's the great thing about Guelph - they have a lot of different residence types - there's basically something for everyone here, whether you want a traditional residence, a study-intensive area, a cluster (a residence just for people in your program), an apartment-style resident (or townhome style) or even family housing for married students and for older students with families.

As I said, there are also plenty of resources on campus to help with studying, with the transition to university, with writing, etc. Many large first-year courses have special study sessions available, where a student who did very well in the course the previous year sits in on the class again this year and helps out the first year students with questions and problems they may have. There are workshops and resources on all kinds of issues - time management, studying, writing papers, health, fitness, stress, exams, etc.

Wow - you certainly keep yourself busy! Congrats on the straight-A average too. It's good to hear that Guelph, though a smaller university, has so many opportunities for its students. Thanks for all your help once again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@CatRunner wrote

@pupil wrote

Hi Catrunner : Just wondering how is the Macdonald residence. I know it's all girls - is it quiet /noisy ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0