yconic - guelph/western/mcmaster?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

guelph/western/mcmaster?

A photo of jordyn07 jordyn07
Hey everyone, I'm a grade 12 student from the small town of Windsor, Ontario. I've been trying to decide which offer to accept (I know I have til June 1 but I need to make a decision sooner for personal reasons) but I honestly don't think I can do it alone.
The programs I'm trying to decide between are Guelph Bio-Med, Western Bio-Med, and McMaster Life Sci. All of the programs seem pretty similar to me.. in the long run I'd like to become a psychiatrist. Any thoughts? I know this question has been asked a million times but I would really appreciate any input! Thanks :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101

@jordyn07 wrote
Hey everyone, I'm a grade 12 student from the small town of Windsor, Ontario. I've been trying to decide which offer to accept (I know I have til June 1 but I need to make a decision sooner for personal reasons) but I honestly don't think I can do it alone.
The programs I'm trying to decide between are Guelph Bio-Med, Western Bio-Med, and McMaster Life Sci. All of the programs seem pretty similar to me.. in the long run I'd like to become a psychiatrist. Any thoughts? I know this question has been asked a million times but I would really appreciate any input! Thanks :colors:

From my signature I'm pretty sure you know what I would chose. I don't know much about the programs but from a social aspect I would say Guelph ( saw all three of the Universities at open houses). Also I heard Guelph has a very excellent and respected Bio- med program. Just my two cent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101

@jordyn07 wrote

From my signature I'm pretty sure you know what I would chose. I don't know much about the programs but from a social aspect I would say Guelph ( saw all three of the Universities at open houses). Also I heard Guelph has a very excellent and respected Bio- med program. Just my two cent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jordyn07 jordyn07
Although I'm leaning heavily towards psychiatry, i'm also considering other fields such as environmental sciences and even law (I'm super indecisive). I've heard its really difficult to get a good GPA at Mac, but Guelph doesn't have as much of a variety in course selection as Western and McMaster, probably because its a smaller school. The thing that's really holding me back from Western is location: its only an hour away from home and I really would prefer to be farther.. Do you think location should be a big deciding factor? Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of infinityontherun infinityontherun
Hey Jordyn!
Personally, I don't think location should be a big deciding factor. If a school is able to offer you everything you ever wanted and needed, then its whereabouts shouldn't be considered heavily. After all, you are going in for the programs, the student experience, campus environment, etc. I live in Burlington, which is just a 15 min. drive to McMaster and despite this overwhelming short distance, quite a few of my friends still decided to go there because they love the school and they feel that it's a perfect fit for them.
For me, Western is the perfect distance - 1.5 hrs away, not too far, not too close. My family and I are very close, so my parents and I both knew that I wouldn't be able to deal with moving too far away from home. But I still wanted to have my own life.
Like you mentioned, you are interested in a variety of fields. I probably am a bit biased here since I love Western :), you really should consider there because it has the resources to tailor to your interests. McMaster's a good school too, just not for me, but I'd still recommend it. Most of my friends are in life/eng/health sciences so I can't give you much insight all social sciences, or business and other pre-law programs).
I didn't really say much about Guelph because I didn't apply there nor did I do any research...perhaps other people could comment?
I hope this helped! Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0