yconic - Haha that's hilarious! Why you guys have to wait for your offers? I got mine in maximum 14 days.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Haha that's hilarious! Why you guys have to wait for your offers? I got mine in maximum 14 days.

A photo of milane69 milane69
Ok.. I'm an international student, so far I have applied to 4 schools in mind and still not sure which one to actually go to. My average is 90% [ We do 10 subjects a term in high school].

UOW - BBA
McMaster - Bachelor of commerce
Brock - BAcc
Waterloo- Computing and Financial Management

I still don't know why canadian students have to apply earlier and then get accepted months after they applied and you may even forget about which schools youve applied to.

Please don't get offended by my topic, I'm just wondering why I got accepted at Western in a week after I submitted my application, 2 business days for Brock, exactly 2 weeks for McMaster and 12 days for Waterloo, while I see others in the forum getting stressed out of waiting. I applied in person ( not through ontario's website) and I attached my English Language test with all the applications.

curious.. does the money factor plays a big role in this matter?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of erudite erudite
Erm, I don't know anything about international applications, but are you sure that they're not emails confirming that they have RECEIVED your application rather than accepting your application?

Edit: you applied in person? What?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of napinhei napinhei
Well, for starters you have a very high average. That means you would be likely to get an early acceptance to begin with.

I would also imagine that it has to do with your application. You applied in person? I assume that means you handed all your information over to them directly, which I assume to mean you've already graduated from high school. Most of the students in Canada that are on here are still in high school which means they haven't gotten any second semester marks because second semester hasn't happened already.

It should also be noted that, though I have no facts to base this, it is likely that there are way more Canadian students than there are international students that are applying. Canadian and international students are not admitted the same way because universities take a certain percentage of Canadian and a certain percentage of international. What I mean to say is that, rather than all the applicants - Canadian and international - (lets say there are 100) competing for those spots, a certain number of those are reserved for international students (lets say 20) and a certain number are reserved for Canadian (lets say 80).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of krankd krankd
What exactly did the emails say??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've already graduated from my high school a month ago & I came to Canada right away on scholarship. I didn't get any of them by e-mail, except for Brock Acc. as I requested.

I got them by regular Mail, one of them I had to go by myself to pick it up. And they are all final offers..

in the top letters say Congradulations on Your Achievements! xxx welcomes you and ... blah blah blah...

Then, there are lines indicating the cost per year $ ( tuition, housing, health insurance, others..)

as well as the expected date for graduating, most of them are by June 2016.

Also, two of my friends from same country were applying for Health Science and their average are 82 , 85 & they got 3 university letters last week ( McMaster, Westren & York). They filled in the application form for all the 3 universities a week before christmas, same as me. I went to Brock's addmission office a week before christmas, paid $375 and got my acceptance letter in 2 business days only! It's my first time to apply for any canadian university. I wonder if you guys tried that before or it's just for internationals??????????
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@napinhei wrote
Well, for starters you have a very high average. That means you would be likely to get an early acceptance to begin with.

I would also imagine that it has to do with your application. You applied in person? I assume that means you handed all your information over to them directly, which I assume to mean you've already graduated from high school. Most of the students in Canada that are on here are still in high school which means they haven't gotten any second semester marks because second semester hasn't happened already.

It should also be noted that, though I have no facts to base this, it is likely that there are way more Canadian students than there are international students that are applying. Canadian and international students are not admitted the same way because universities take a certain percentage of Canadian and a certain percentage of international. What I mean to say is that, rather than all the applicants - Canadian and international - (lets say there are 100) competing for those spots, a certain number of those are reserved for international students (lets say 20) and a certain number are reserved for Canadian (lets say 80).

for some of the schools I applied to, I actually authurized my friend who lives close to two of the schools to apply on behalf of me & it works. I just graduted from high school in November -- I didn't even have my high school certifcate translated until I got here. I came to Canada 2nd week of December -- VERY COLD PLACE BTW!!!!!!!!. Yes I guess wt you're trying to say about the certain seats reserved for students makes sense now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
My best guess is that they accept internationals earlier so that they have more time to move to Canada and figure out places to live and whatnot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant
Yep, apps that come out of province and out of Canada, Regardless of if they are international students or Canadian students abroad, re processed first. And when it comes to international students the applications are are also done earlier. I was a Canadian living abroad and i finished my apps by October, i received by acceptance ot Laurier BBA by mid november and my acceptance to Queen's Commerce on Christmas eve.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You probably got accepted earlier because international students are treated differently and because you are done high school. Most Canadian students aren't done, so they don't get offers right away, and certainly won't get a final offer until they are graduated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant
^they arent done highschool yet, they have the same terms as in canada?!?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xugengyu xugengyu
commerce offers are given out really early. several people I know got offers from waterloo before Christmas.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 1stclass 1stclass

@iliketurtles wrote
My best guess is that they accept internationals earlier so that they have more time to move to Canada and figure out places to live and whatnot.

My thoughts exactly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0