yconic - Halogen lamps at the University of Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Halogen lamps at the University of Waterloo

A photo of xshaddowsinx xshaddowsinx
I was looking at the list of items to bring and not bring for waterloo residences and found out that it said that halogen lamps were not allowed. now i was wondering if anyone knew if they were strict on this rule, as all my lamps are currently halogen and i would have to find a non-halogen one if they were strict on this rule.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9
there's halogen gas in bulbs? wow I feel so ignorant right now.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Why would halogen lamps not be allowed? I highly doubt they'll come and inspect all of your lamps. If they do just buy new ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@ktel wrote
Why would halogen lamps not be allowed? I highly doubt they'll come and inspect all of your lamps. If they do just buy new ones.

They produce significantly more heat than a typical light bulb. It's because they're a fire hazard.

If they find one during room inspections you could be in big trouble. They take fire hazards very seriously. Recently there was a fire that burned down half of the University Plaza; it's not like fires never occur. A normal old incandescent lamp/light is cheap, shouldn't be a problem to find a new one.

Also, every room in residence comes with a fluorescent lamp. I didn't end up using the light I brought.
Was this helpful? Yes 0