yconic - Halp! Don't know what to do
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Halp! Don't know what to do

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi, I just graduated from high school (hooray!) However, I don't know what to do next year! I got into Nursing at Ryerson but I don't know if I want to do it. I was thinking of taking another year, volunteer in a hospital to see if it is the right career for me, take adv func and calculus although my math isn't strong but it would open many opportunities.

My gr12 marks are

SCH4U1:84
SBI4U1:86
ENG4U1:81
HRE4U1:88
MDM4U1:70
Technology:91

If I decide to apply for a business program, will it be ok with no background from HS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Not sure about Nursing at Ryerson? If you have paid your tuition fees and stuff like that already, taking another year in high school would be a decision you'd make at your loss. Here's what I've heard, actually: you can change your programs after being accepted into university, after maybe your first year of introductory courses (you don't really specialize in your first year, anyway). Then you can change your program or school to something else you want, even as though you don't have the math credits for business programs.

If you really don't want to be switching programs there (and if you haven't paid any fees yet) and don't mind staying back another year, by all means it's your choice to stay back and take MHF4U1 and MCV4U1. But from what I've heard, I'd advise you against it, and to change your program (or school) later, when you can do it more comfortably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I really want to try to get into Schulich(York -_-) and Rotman or life sciences at U of T but I don't know if I could...I heard the minimum avg is around low 90's?

Edit: No, I haven't paid any fees yet its due on July 5th
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote
I really want to try to get into Schulich(York -_-) and Rotman or life sciences at U of T but I don't know if I could...I heard the minimum avg is around low 90's?

Edit: No, I haven't paid any fees yet its due on July 5th

The minimum average for both Rotman Commerce and Life Sciences at UTSG is the mid-80 range, and yes MCV4U1 is mandatory. For Schulich School of Business, it is 90+ minimum, also requiring ENG4U1 and MCV4U1 as mandatory in top 6. U of T programs are a better bet, and in fact, if you have any chance at beating out your Data Management mark with your Calculus mark, you could do it.

Edit: If you're not confident with this, it's better to play safe. You can always apply to those programs later, and it just might be easier to transfer if your math abilities are letting you down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh by the way what is the course code for the Technology course you completed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So I can transfer to U of T(Any program) from Ryerson without calculus, right?

I think I could've done better in Data Management because I had no motivation, throughout the semester I didn't do any homework that was assigned except the exam week (sad)

The course code for Technology class is TDJ4M1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote
So I can transfer to U of T(Any program) from Ryerson without calculus, right?

I think I could've done better in Data Management because I had no motivation, throughout the semester I didn't do any homework that was assigned except the exam week (sad)

The course code for Technology class is TDJ4M1

Well, that's what I've heard. People even suggested that I could change from Commerce to Life Sciences at U of T once I enter the university, despite the fact that I have no Science credits in Grade 12. If you plan on going the math route, though, you better do homework; I've had so many classmates fall behind and had no idea what the questions were even talking about. So the Technology class you took was Design?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ah, how hard is calculus?

If I were to apply next year same or different programs, do I get equal consideration even though I applied previous year? :S

My Technology class was divided, 3 months in the computer lab and 3 in the wood shop :)

My deposit deadline for Nursing is July 5th and it takes 2-4 days business.. which means that I have at least one more day to decide. Holy cow! T.T

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote
Ah, how hard is calculus?

If I were to apply next year same or different programs, do I get equal consideration even though I applied previous year? :S

My Technology class was divided, 3 months in the computer lab and 3 in the wood shop :)

My deposit deadline for Nursing is July 5th and it takes 2-4 days business.. which means that I have at least one more day to decide. Holy cow! T.T

Some find calculus easy, some find it very difficult. I certainly did not find it easy. The second portion of the course is vectors, which involves visualizing in three space (instead of just the x- and y-axes, you now have a z-axis, too), but I found it easier than calculus.

Universities don't care if a previous application was made, but they do care if you had repeated a course. Also, the cut-offs and supplementary requirements can change next year, so be aware of that.

You mentioned that for Nursing, you're currently depositing. So by any chance will you be able to take the money back once you make the deposit?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What was your mark, if you don't mind sharing?

Another question, when I apply next year, will they only look at my grade 12 marks for early acceptance since I already graduated?

Yes, I can get the money back, however, they take some of the money away depending on the month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote
What was your mark, if you don't mind sharing?

Another question, when I apply next year, will they only look at my grade 12 marks for early acceptance since I already graduated?

Yes, I can get the money back, however, they take some of the money away depending on the month.

My final mark in MCV4U was a 90, but I had a 93 before the final exam, which basically killed all the students. I only scored 67/80 on the exam (sorry to scare you if I did, the teacher who designed the final exam for Calculus and Vectors this year was just horrible with it; the class average on the final exam was a 59% :(, and I really hope my friends didn't fall below any cutoffs because of the stupid 30% final). The course itself is fairly doable, but you may come across really challenging problems at times.

Marks used for early acceptance next year will consist of whatever is sent to OUAC by your school. They may or may not send the grade 11 marks again. If you can get your money back, make the deposit on the 5th, and just withdraw later. Even if you lose some money, it will save you from not being able to reconsider Nursing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Impressive!

I could do that, deposit just in case but my parent will be angry, tough situation..

Sigh* What to do... Should have taken those two maths earlier :/

I am scared the cut-off will be higher next year because Nursing is becoming popular every year @.@
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote
Impressive!

I could do that, deposit just in case but my parent will be angry, tough situation..

Sigh* What to do... Should have taken those two maths earlier :/

I am scared the cut-off will be higher next year because Nursing is becoming popular every year @.@

Even if the cut-offs are adjusted, they don't normally change from low-80's to anything higher than mid-80's, or from mid-80's to anything higher than high-80's, etc. They probably do not adjust that often, either, it all depends on how many students they can accept and what the lowest they accepted last year was (to put a cap on the number of applicants).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
superstar, in my opinion, is spreading false information about how easy it is to transfer programs once you're already in university. You're complicating things in that you can't just reapply as a high school student, they WILL take into account your first year of university. So you must have a competitive GPA. In addition to that difficulty, it is highly likely that not all of your courses will transfer, and that means you will have wasted time/credits/money and will have to take summer courses or lengthen your degree. Not the end of the world though.

And most first year courses will require a high school prerequisite. So no, as a commerce student you wouldn't be able to take science courses without the high school prerequisite unless you get special permission.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
superstar, in my opinion, is spreading false information about how easy it is to transfer programs once you're already in university. You're complicating things in that you can't just reapply as a high school student, they WILL take into account your first year of university. So you must have a competitive GPA. In addition to that difficulty, it is highly likely that not all of your courses will transfer, and that means you will have wasted time/credits/money and will have to take summer courses or lengthen your degree. Not the end of the world though.

And most first year courses will require a high school prerequisite. So no, as a commerce student you wouldn't be able to take science courses without the high school prerequisite unless you get special permission.

I thought so too, it'd be harder as a transfer student since they do look at university marks and its hard to obtain high GPA.

I guess taking another year is the only option I have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yup, that's why the high school students on this forum don't always give the best advice, because they really have no clue and can just go by what they've heard or how they think it should work.

And if you're unsure, I think a year off is a fantastic idea. Your parents might freak out, but explain to them it's better than you don't waste your/their money. You should get a job, hopefully sort of in a field you're interested in pursuing, maybe travel if you can afford it, and reapply next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Yup, that's why the high school students on this forum don't always give the best advice, because they really have no clue and can just go by what they've heard or how they think it should work.

And if you're unsure, I think a year off is a fantastic idea. Your parents might freak out, but explain to them it's better than you don't waste your/their money. You should get a job, hopefully sort of in a field you're interested in pursuing, maybe travel if you can afford it, and reapply next year.

I already talked to my parents about it, they were kinda freaking out but I think they understood

I hope I do good in adv func and calculus when I am enrolled in another school in sept :cheers:

I already have a job, but I am planning to volunteer at a hospital nearby and see how it is like and reapply for nursing again and other programs

by the way,when I re-apply for nursing, will admission officers know that I applied previous year? Will that affect my admission? (I know I asked superstar, not that he is wrong but just to make sure.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It really shouldn't affect your admission. And no other school other than Ryerson could know that you already applied in the previous year. At this point you're really just a number to them, it's no skin off their backs if you decide not to attend this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

Sorry if I underestimated the difficulty and timing for switching programs/schools, I'm writing this from friends' experiences. I could be dead wrong. I've had 2 friends who stayed back another year in high school (they both stayed back to take Grade 12 Science to go to Life Sciences, originally planned to go to Commerce) who regretted their decisions after they saw that their older peers were making the switch after their first year. On top of that, I've been told by other seniors who believed that those two friends had to stay back in high school only because they were making the switch at the wrong time, and that they should have done their first year courses first. I've asked councillors too.

If you wish to be safe, please listen to ktel, who would know about this better than I do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Their older peers had likely taken the required science courses in high school in order to make that switch. So if they hadn't taken those courses, than they were correct in staying back a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Their older peers had likely taken the required science courses in high school in order to make that switch. So if they hadn't taken those courses, than they were correct in staying back a year.

I asked the older peers if they had the prerequisites for making that switch. Needless to say, I was surprised to hear they did not. They even proved that with their transcripts. Maybe the other guys were correct in staying back a year, though. The older peers would have struggled more, now that I think about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I find that surprising as well. Most 1st year university science courses specify a high school prerequisite or its equivalent. You are occasionally allowed to enroll without the required prerequisites, but only if you receive special permission.

Anyways all of this stresses the importance of keeping your options open. I took all 3 sciences, math, English and history, and could've theoretically applied to any undergrad program in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for your opinion Superstar and Ktel! I am going to decline my offer today and apply next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0