yconic - Hard Highschool = less stress in U of T?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Hard Highschool = less stress in U of T?

A photo of rani rani
If you came from a hard highschool (more academic or part of a different program eg. Gifted), how hard was university for you.
To be more specific, UTSG in a science program? :bball:
Some highschools reward highmarks (+90) quite easily, whereas others do not.

UTSG is known to be hard, but then again it depends right?
Or is it just straight up hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
Not to burst your bubble, I'm a first year UTSG life-sci student, but unless you went to UofT's only private secondary school then you won't have less stress at U of T, hell I know a few people that went to U of T secondary school and are still struggling at U of T. I think a really big reason why kids do bad first year is that you are given so much freedom and its on you to make time to study, you don't have tests every week like in high school so its up to you to prioritize. So to answer your question no you won't have less stress at UTSG if you went to a hard high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
I don't know. A few of my friends who went to IB said it has helped, and some others said it didn't. Maybe what to conclude from this is that it depends upon you once you get here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Noemata Noemata
I completely agree with what Sheldore has said. Well to discuss your question we need to define what stress is. If stress for you is the amount of workload you receive, then, no matter which high school you are from, you will need to either keep up your commendable work ethic or develop one. Everyone faces the same challenging and 'difficult' environment in UTSG Science, but those who do well credit their time management and organization skills. One can argue that certain high schools provide individuals with better preparatory skills by challenging them through their four years in high school. In my school it is said that comprehending and understanding concepts rather than memorizing them benefits a person studying Science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Sheldore wrote
I think a really big reason why kids do bad first year is that you are given so much freedom and its on you to make time to study, you don't have tests every week like in high school so its up to you to prioritize.

Definitely. That, and the lack of easy marking. A lot of highschools just had out 90s like they're nothing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
A major thing that I have learned in UTSG is that in order to do well on tests you must really master the material, the test material always goes beyond what was taught in the textbook or in lectures and its up to you to use your intuitive knowledge to answer these questions. What I mean is that in high school I used to try to master everything, every page in the textbook I wanted to remember and understand fully, but in UTSG its just impossible to do that so you have to know what to emphasize and what to disreguard. For my first math midterm I really found this out the hard way, I nearly spent half my time learning the useless stuff from the first chapter that was totally not tested at all and didn't spend enough time on what was really emphasized on the test. The thing in UTSG that I can't stress enough is past tests for every course, they are the best key to doing well in the course as the questions are usually almost the same.

In terms of stress, I'll admit there have been lots of times where you just wonder why your putting yourself through this, what's it gonna add up to in the end, I mean is this really what life is all about? No matter who you are, at UTSG your gonna question yourself a lot and this is what builds you character and strength as a student and a person, because now I know that if I can make it here, I can sure as hell make it anywhere. So if you do plan on going here, be prepared to fight the battles, they are almost always uphill battles, but just know that there are tons of other students suffering just like you in UTSG................. and then there are the 1000's of students at York who are socializing at Scott Library. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of angelsilver angelsilver
I go to a supposedly hard school too. What I have to say probably won't help you but my physics teacher said a lot of the kids that she taught in physics are doing really well (in UTSG no less) in comparison to kids that went to easy schools. The downfall to hard schools is the fact that we might be pulling high 80s but never 99+ averages, the upside is that we're used to learning more, and, in the words of my physics teacher - used to failing. I guess in that sense - it should help us a bit, right?

(then again, it might just be her comforting us.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0