yconic - Has anyone taken these courses?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Has anyone taken these courses?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
English (ENG4U)
Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U)
Chemistry (SCH4U)
Physics (SPH4U)
Advanced Functions (MHF4U)

I want to know if they were hard or easy depending on your mark and experience in these classes, because these are classes that are required for computer engineering at U of T...

I know I am only going to grade 10, but I would like to have an advanced idea of how these courses are... :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Totally depends on your school, your teacher, your aptitude in each subject. I'm from Alberta, so didn't take the same courses, but found all my science and math courses easy. English was my lowest mark, but still pretty high.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
By grade 11 you will probably end up signing up for all those courses without much thought, if you chose a program in the sciences. Experiencing the grade 11 levels of those courses will give you a good idea of how the courses are in grade 12. Watch out for Chemistry 12, though- that course is rather different from grade 11 (but still not THAT much different). Expect lots of work and practice, but if your study habits are in place, they won't trouble you too much. Try to get along with your teachers, and it will make the courses THAT much easier. Right now, just relax and focus on the grade 10 material, which really does found the stuff you learn in grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Flickacharity Flickacharity
It all depends on your teacher. I found Calculus was easier then Advance Functions. And I was miserable in Chemistry even though it was one of my favourite classes in grade 11. I think it was due to my teacher's teaching methods. I didn't take Physics. But like I said before, it all depends on the teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brebells brebells
Yes, it depends on the teacher, but I also think it depends on whether your brain or more mathematical or artsy. Everyone I personally know is really good at one (90s+), and just average at the other (mid-70s). Of course, there are people who are just whizzes at both. I, myself, am more artsy, and I didn't realize it until I took 4U chemistry. I would say if you're already doing pretty well in these courses, just keep building your studying habits and you won't have to worry about grade 12 at all. I made the mistake of slacking off in 3U math, and therefore my 4U math mark didn't reach its full potential.

You're only going into grade 10 though, I would suggest just finding out what courses you really enjoy doing, that way you know you choose the right program for you when applying to university.

All the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Honestly, it seems you're way ahead of yourself. I don't understand why people decide on a career ten years down the line without even a taste of it. I sure as hell didn't know what engineering was in grade 9, and I still don't know much about it at all. Furthermore, a school too? You should really try to keep your options open, there are way more programs and schools out there and there are a world of possibilities. Tons of people completely change their mind in high school. Either way, if you're fairly set on sciences, or engineering in general, those courses are required. The only course I finished on that list is Advanced Functions, which I found to be fairly easy. It was similar to the grade 11 course, Functions. I definitely found Functions harder than grade 9 and 10 math, so you could say it gets progressively harder, which it should. I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to get 90+ if they're putting in a decent amount of work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator

@jelly wrote
Honestly, it seems you're way ahead of yourself. I don't understand why people decide on a career ten years down the line without even a taste of it. I sure as hell didn't know what engineering was in grade 9, and I still don't know much about it at all. Furthermore, a school too? You should really try to keep your options open, there are way more programs and schools out there and there are a world of possibilities. Tons of people completely change their mind in high school. Either way, if you're fairly set on sciences, or engineering in general, those courses are required. The only course I finished on that list is Advanced Functions, which I found to be fairly easy. It was similar to the grade 11 course, Functions. I definitely found Functions harder than grade 9 and 10 math, so you could say it gets progressively harder, which it should. I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to get 90+ if they're putting in a decent amount of work.

You my friend..just...:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0