yconic - Have you ever considered...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Have you ever considered...

A photo of pumpkinsoup pumpkinsoup
that sleep is an addiction?

There are few concrete studies as to the functions of sleep. If you believe that it is to refresh yourself, think to the many symptoms of sleeplessness which are similar to those of a drug addict who did not have his fix. Some studies show that too much sleep, like too much drugs, is detrimental to health.

Perhaps sleep is a habit that has became an addiction after it is reinforced behavior... just a thought.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Yeah but after detoxing you end up back on your feet, perfectly healthy (most of the time). If staying up for days in a row is getting the sleep "out of your system" you should be getting better as time goes on. Unfortunately, you die.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Same could be said for breathing.

Seriously though, we all need to sleep to survive; we don't all need cocaine to survive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buffyangel Buffyangel

@pumpkinsoup wrote
that sleep is an addiction?

There are few concrete studies as to the functions of sleep. If you believe that it is to refresh yourself, think to the many symptoms of sleeplessness which are similar to those of a drug addict who did not have his fix. Some studies show that too much sleep, like too much drugs, is detrimental to health.

Perhaps sleep is a habit that has became an addiction after it is reinforced behavior... just a thought.

OF COURSE WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? I SLEEPA LOT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I definitely sleep too much. I am addicted to getting an extra 30 minutes of sleep after my boyfriend gets out of bed to go to work. Love having the bed to myself for that extra little bit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

Seriously though, we all need to sleep to survive; we don't all need cocaine to survive.

um... not quite. Respiration is necessary for the production of ATP (I'm sure everyone remembers that from chemistry :)), but sleep has no such functions. And for the post above: it is possible to die if one detoxes too quickly (just as if you suddenly decided one day that you are not going to sleep). There are chemical changes in the drug addict's brain that requires them to take increasing amounts of drugs to sustain themselves.

... I (or my teacher) proposed this simply as thought experiment. I would not recommend that anyone stay wake to fight "addiction" (as I am against this idea), but it just goes to show that the ideas that one holds to be fundamental can/ should be questioned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@pumpkinsoup wrote

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

um... not quite. Respiration is necessary for the production of ATP (I'm sure everyone remembers that from chemistry :)), but sleep has no such functions. And for the post above: it is possible to die if one detoxes too quickly (just as if you suddenly decided one day that you are not going to sleep). There are chemical changes in the drug addict's brain that requires them to take increasing amounts of drugs to sustain themselves.

... I (or my teacher) proposed this simply as thought experiment. I would not recommend that anyone stay wake to fight "addiction" (as I am against this idea), but it just goes to show that the ideas that one holds to be fundamental can/ should be questioned.

Interesting perspective; I've heard of people going on 4 hours of sleep without having any trouble, so perhaps that represents "cutting down" lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NeptuniumTrioxide NeptuniumTrioxide
the TOPIC STARTER IS AN IDIOT, there`s also quiet a bit of evidence stating we need sleep to survive. we don`t need alcohol, or ecstasy or magic mushrooms (BTW it`s brand of mushrooms too).
its like the same thing as saying that im addicted to taking a sh*t. if i do it to much, i must of eaten to much which isn`t healthy, ow i also exhibit signs and symptoms (sarcasm)
-a$$ hurting
-feeling good after dropping it
-holding my a$$ cheeks together
- exbiting red face when the deuce is to big

if your going to try to act like a smarta$$, find a less retarded theory such mattet is created from earth, fire, water and air.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Uh... Not sleeping will kill you. It's required to live and function.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of coolshoes coolshoes
I think anything that is newly introduced that we develop a habit of using, like drugs or alcohol, is an addiction. Sleep, like other bodily functions, is not something new that we become addicted too. Interesting viewpoint tho. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NeptuniumTrioxide wrote
the TOPIC STARTER IS AN IDIOT, there`s also quiet a bit of evidence stating we need sleep to survive. we don`t need alcohol, or ecstasy or magic mushrooms (BTW it`s brand of mushrooms too).
its like the same thing as saying that im addicted to taking a sh*t. if i do it to much, i must of eaten to much which isn`t healthy, ow i also exhibit signs and symptoms (sarcasm)
-a$$ hurting
-feeling good after dropping it
-holding my a$$ cheeks together
- exbiting red face when the deuce is to big

if your going to try to act like a smarta$$, find a less retarded theory such mattet is created from earth, fire, water and air.

I have to say I am a bit offended by this comment and was unaware that these sorts of people contributed to this forum. It is true that this is only a consideration. My teacher brought up in class and I thought it would be interesting to share. I would not say that I agree with him but it is always necessary to question commonly held beliefs. After you have mention science and that is how it improves.

That being said, calling someone an "idiot" or or a "smarta$$" is not appropriate and serves to describe the speaker instead of the intended target. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NeptuniumTrioxide NeptuniumTrioxide
pumpkin soup, im sorry your idea (or whatever you want to call it) was so retarded that i had to rage.:bom: :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0