yconic - health sci/ business
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

health sci/ business

A photo of unknown1914 unknown1914
hi im just wondering what school has the best opportunity to take both health science and business in the first couple years, and what programs exactly to take. Im thinking i want to go to either western, laurier, mac or waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You can minor in business while doing health sci at Mac (not the other way around though - you can't minor in health sci).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unknown1914 unknown1914
oh okay can u do the same at western?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Charlene74 Charlene74
You can do a concurrent degree in both health science and business, if I'm not mistaken. So you would graduate in 4-5 years with two seperate degrees. I'm planning on doing that only with nursing instead of business. I was told that it doesn't affect your course load because the health science courses use up your electives in the professional program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator
In Western you can do Ivey BioMed (Biological Medical Sciences) with AEO (Business). It is a great program (so i've heard) and is 5 years. You take your 3rd or 4rth (cant remember right now) off BioMed to do business. The min avg is 90.

Im considering this program myself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I've already posted this on another thread but:

Hey Ozinator,

You may want to consider some programs that combine your interests. As you already know, you can do a dual degree at Western with Biomed and Ivey.

Waterloo has the Biotech/CA program. Don't be turned down by the apparent specific focus on accounting. There is also the Biotech/Economics program.

From my understanding there are double degree/major combinations at Queens with its Commerce program.

Just to add on: UW's Biotech/CA and McMaster Health Science are two of Canada's most competitive programs. You need a minimum of a 95 average for Biotech/CA and you need extraordinary supplementary essays for Mac Health Science.

If you're series about business, I wouldn't really consider Mac since it's business is pretty low tier.

The Biomed/Ivey at UWO though is quite solid. The way it works is that you get accepted into Biomed with AEO. You do Biomed for years 1 and 2 and granted you get your 80 average and maintain your ECs, you get into Ivey. You'll do Ivey HBA courses only in 3rd year and in years 4+5, you'll do a combination of Ivey and Biomed courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@Ozinator wrote
In Western you can do Ivey BioMed (Biological Medical Sciences) with AEO (Business). It is a great program (so i've heard) and is 5 years. You take your 3rd or 4rth (cant remember right now) off BioMed to do business. The min avg is 90.

Im considering this program myself.

By far the best program (in my opinion) if you're unsure with what you wanna do in life. Cons are that it's very difficult to keep your GPA in Ivey when you're doing a double degree. Inherently, double degrees are MUCH more difficult, and you'll have no other electives. Med schools really look at GPAs, so if you can't handle the course load, be wary!

I've heard a lot of criticism about the actual Biotech/CA program at Waterloo, and although it's very hard to get into, I wouldn't necessarily suggest it.

Also consider what you want to do with your life: enter med school, enter business in the medical field, work for a large drug company? The answer to this might make your universiy selection that much more obvious...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElainaWalker ElainaWalker
This is true,

Doing a double degree impacts your study. But if you have interest for both business and health science, then you can do one regular and one online course. This will make you complete both the degrees comfortably and genuinely. You can go for a regular degree program in business administration and an online course in health science. You can choose a career as MRI technician, as this is the most demanding career in health science today. There are many MRI technician colleges offering online degree programs. But you should choose an online college cautiously. The following article would help you in choosing the right college for you. http://mritechnicianschools.net/whats-the-best-online-mri-technician-school/
The benefit of doing online degree in MRI technician is that, here you will get flexible timings. So you can manage both the degrees, Business and MRI tech, with ease.
Was this helpful? Yes 0