yconic - Health Sciences Pathway
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Health Sciences Pathway

A photo of Gongshow Gongshow
Hello everyone I'm going into my senior year in high school and have some very important decisions I have to make. I'm currently taking chemistry in summer school and have a high 80 average I can probably achieve a 90 by the end. I've got some major interests in health science/medicine but I'm not sure about the journey/risks I may be putting myself up for.

Is there anyone with any experience of taking a bachelor/honors of health sci? And what opportunities are there after finishing your education there? I've been told if I can't get into med school after my life is pretty much at a dead end, been debating on being a paramedic or something instead. However I do have a strong interest and passion in human health/medicine in general so help would be greatly appreciated. Some replys may have a huge impact on my life so thank you all very much in advance!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of metro metro
Health science is no the only journey to a good life. It's all about finding your own interests.

I've been told if I can't get into med school after my life is pretty much at a dead end

Who told you this?

There are so many different things in university that you can try. Don't limit yourself to only med. Even within the path of health science, you can focus on different things. If med school is really all you are after, don't make that the destination. It's just the beginning.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Kevin4 Kevin4

@Gongshow wrote
And what opportunities are there after finishing your education there? I've been told if I can't get into med school after my life is pretty much at a dead end, been debating on being a paramedic or something instead.

If you enter a Bachelors program in science you have many opportunities. If you want to be in the medical field how about Optometry school at Waterloo or Dentistry at UOT or of course med school. If some of the big ones don't pan out then try the "lower" end ones like physicians assistant or physical therapist or audiologist. All of these you can enter after an undergrad degree in health science or bachelor of science in a given major or a bachelor of arts in a given major.

As for being a paramedic you can always step down the ladder but you can't step up the ladder. It would be a lot harder to start a paramedic path and switch to a med school path. Starting down the med school path would be much easier to go down the other path no matter if your in first year undergrad program of last year med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I just graduated from BHSc this year, let me know if you have any specific questions about it. I'm starting vet school next month. If I hadn't gotten into vet school, I would've tried for med. If I didn't get into med, I would've gone international for vet med or med. There is honestly nothing else I could see myself doing as I want to be a surgeon and other medical careers (nursing/pharm/PA etc) sadly do not involve cutting things open.

Really it all comes down to what you could be satisfied doing. Something to think about it is what aspect of medicine attracts you. Is it the autonomy? Patient interaction? Status and/or money? Ability to save lives? You can figure out possible careers from your answers to those questions (eg. if patient interaction is most important to you, perhaps nursing may be something you could be happy with; if ability to save lives is most important then paramedic etc).

Honestly though, if medicine is what you want then you really should go for it. You'll always regret it if you didn't even try.
Was this helpful? Yes 0