yconic - Health Sciences vs BioMed/General Sci at UWO
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Health Sciences vs BioMed/General Sci at UWO

A photo of r2k1 r2k1
Assuming that I do get accepted to both Health Sci and BioMed at UWO I'm confused as to which one to choose. My ultimate goal like many others is med school. However since health sci has more of a focus on other sides of health rather than just the hardcore sciences would it be an easier program? I realize that my gpa is going to have to be as high as possible for med school and I really wouldn't mind entering either program since I like them both.

All I could really find was this: http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/bhsc/PDFs/BHSc_vs_BSc_vs_BMSc.pdf

Also in terms of alternate job possibilities other than becoming a doctor which of the two programs would be better?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
If you plan on going to medical school I highly recommend you enter into Biomedical sciences for first year. It will ensure that you complete all the prerequisites you will need and will prepare you better for the MCAT and studies at medical school compared to the Health Science program. Not to mention that medical schools would much rather accept someone who has completed a challenging undergraduate degree rather than an easier one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of r2k1 r2k1
Hmm I was under the impression that med school students are from various different undergrads including psychology, business, engineering etc... and that med schools really only care about your gpa/you show a passion for your program.

So you're saying if I take health sci then I wouldn't have all the pre reqs to apply to med school after 2 years? I really would like to get more information about the health science program in upper years if anyone has that could be very helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

@JNBirDy wrote
Not to mention that medical schools would much rather accept someone who has completed a challenging undergraduate degree rather than an easier one.

Incorrect.
Course load matters (taking year-appropriate courses and a full course load) but program does not. School choice does not matter either.

Go with what interests you most. I know Mac's Biomed is very research focused and would lead to other possible job opportunities for those rejected from med school, but I don't know if this is true for UWO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@andrewk512 wrote

@JNBirDy wrote
Not to mention that medical schools would much rather accept someone who has completed a challenging undergraduate degree rather than an easier one.

Incorrect.
Course load matters (taking year-appropriate courses and a full course load) but program does not. School choice does not matter either.

Go with what interests you most. I know Mac's Biomed is very research focused and would lead to other possible job opportunities for those rejected from med school, but I don't know if this is true for UWO.

That's true for UWO too. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nyletak nyletak
I'm in health science at Western currently and I have a LOT of friends in bio med so I can kind of tell you both sides. From what I've heard, it really doesn't matter which option you decide to go into. However, if you want to be surrounded by people also striving to get into med school and have that mentality, I would go into bio med. Most students in bio med want to get into med school. My health science class had 500 people and my prof once asked who wanted to get into med school, and not many people had their hands up. Health sci would definitely be an easier route to get to med school. You don't NEED to take chemistry, physics or calculus (or any math for that matter). All that is required is the health sci course and biology (which is an easier bio than the bio med students). But honestly, if you're super serious about getting into med school and are good with core science classes and think you can keep the required average of 78 between your chem, bio and math courses (correct me if I'm wrong) then I would go into bio med. Health science focuses more on the social determinants of health... so what causes certain groups of people to be more/less healthy than others. The actual health science course is not science heavy at all. Hope that helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cathy12366 cathy12366
Thank u so much. It is very helpful to me............thanks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sukeera Sukeera
hi guys, if there are any current health sci students at UWO, can you post pointers about the course, what it offers, about profs, materials, course outlines, how marks are given, weightages, number of assignments, etc. thanks. congrats to those who got acceptances to programs. and also to go to med school, degree and education doesnt matter, am i right? as long as you have the prereqs right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of insidecentre insidecentre
Hey,

I'm going into my first year into Health Science at UWO and have done a lot of research on the program. Keep in mind I had the option going into Biomed. Health Science without question is a great course to take as your pre-med. Being in Health Science allows you to take all the med-school prerequisites (bio,chem,physics,math,biochem, orgo,etc.). However, it's rather easy Health Science course components allow you to keep a respectable GPA; something that BioMed students will without question have a harder time doing. At the end of the day, it's the GPA and your MCAT that matter. And in terms of job opportunities coming out of Health Science, the sky is the limit. You can apply to other professional and graduate programs (granted you've taken the right courses and have a decent GPA) or go into the social and political sides of Health, Health and government, pretty much any healthcare related profession. Hope I helped. Good luck at Western!
Was this helpful? Yes 0