yconic - Health Studies
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Health Studies

A photo of Bazinga7 Bazinga7
What careers can you go into if you get your bachelors in health studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/bhsc/PDFs/BHSc_vs_BSc_vs_BMSc.pdf

this link should help you with possible careers/graduate programs you can go into after a BHSC degree

best of luck! :)

Where are you going? I will be attending UWO for there BHsc program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bazinga7 Bazinga7
I'm actually only in grade 11, but I'm just trying to see what my options are. So is health studies and health science the same thing because the programs I'm looking at are called Health Studies, not Health science.

What are the requirements to get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Health studies and health science are NOT the same. Health studies is usually social science degree and you get a BA at the end whereas health science is a science degree, and you get a BHSc. Depends on the school but at Mac, health studies is a 2nd year entry program, meaning you complete one year of undergrad first: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/current/pg1701.html

You can go into social work, policy making or research (plus other careers that I'm just not thinking of).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I know for a fact the health studies program at western gives you a bhsc degree, not a BA...Brescia university college is an example of a "health studies" prgoram where you come out with a BA

take a look at this link/site..very great info!
http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=36

yes, basically health sciences at western is science with a "social science" perspective..so you would study things like "issues with aging, population growth, ethics, etc"

the one at mcmaster is where most people are dying to go into because it is more "sciency" and some people seem to have the opinion that once you get in, you are guaranteed into med school

so basically, if you are a "med school junkie" go to mcmaster

want a slightly easy but not too "sciency" program but you still get a science degree? western
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shimmerbronze shimmerbronze

@Bazinga7 wrote
What careers can you go into if you get your bachelors in health studies.

Health Studies and Health Sciences are not the same thing.

It also depends which University you attend because each Health Studies programs is a bit different.

Health Studies at McMaster is definitely a social science approach to health.
At University of Toronto (the St. George and Scarborough) campus have slight differences in the program, where at St. George it's more social science based, and Scarborough offers a biological aspect to the degree.

University of Waterloo offers a Health Studies program that allow you to specialize in Health Information or Health Pre-Med.

Last, is York University. I am a student there majoring in Health Studies. They allow you to specialize in 3 areas: Information, Management, or Policy. OR you can just do a general health studies major.

As for Health Sciences-they are usually pretty similar along each University but it is for you to look at the courses for each program to determine which one you like best.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to reply!
Was this helpful? Yes 0