yconic - Help an international student (Mcgill / Rotman vs Ivey)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help an international student (Mcgill / Rotman vs Ivey)

A photo of Ykama Ykama
Hello!

I'm a brazilian international student (currently on 10th grade) that whishes to do an undergrad in canada or the US. My question is: which program should I choose? I'm planning to come back to my home country (so international reputation would be nice) and I really value the quality of the program in general (since placement statistics will have no effects on my chances of succeeding HERE, in Brazil).

Therefore, I'm considering two different streams:

- Going to Mcgill or Rotman. These schools have strong international reputation, as well as a very appealing city life. The fact that they are both the best overall schools in Canada is also interesting.

- Going to Ivey. There I would have the best quality of education (according to some members in these university forums). However, no city life, no international recognition and a 2+2 year program that doesn't attract me that much

Also, I can't apply to Queen's. They require, from brazilian applicants, at least one full year of university here (which is not good at all! LOL)

Thanks a lot guys!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of econmajor94 econmajor94

@Ykama wrote
Hello!

I'm a brazilian international student (currently on 10th grade) that whishes to do an undergrad in canada or the US. My question is: which program should I choose? I'm planning to come back to my home country (so international reputation would be nice) and I really value the quality of the program in general (since placement statistics will have no effects on my chances of succeeding HERE, in Brazil).

Therefore, I'm considering two different streams:

- Going to Mcgill or Rotman. These schools have strong international reputation, as well as a very appealing city life. The fact that they are both the best overall schools in Canada is also interesting.

- Going to Ivey. There I would have the best quality of education (according to some members in these university forums). However, no city life, no international recognition and a 2+2 year program that doesn't attract me that much

Also, I can't apply to Queen's. They require, from brazilian applicants, at least one full year of university here (which is not good at all! LOL)

Thanks a lot guys!!

Western/Ivey has a great nightlife, not sure what you're on about...

In your case, I would say look at both and see where you get offers from - if I was you, I'd lean more towards McGill. depends on what you want to do afterwards really, Rotman is strong for some disciplines, McGill has intl rep
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ykama Ykama

Western/Ivey has a great nightlife, not sure what you're on about...

In your case, I would say look at both and see where you get offers from - if I was you, I'd lean more towards McGill. depends on what you want to do afterwards really, Rotman is strong for some disciplines, McGill has intl rep

Thanks for your quick reply! It really helps me a lot!

I'd really like to have some city life experience (feeling how it's like to actually live in Canada), instead of being incubated in some university ambient. I know that Western has a huge party scene, but I don't think I'm a lot into that

I'm planning on majoring in Management. From Rotman's website, it seems they've got an interesting / innovated approach in their management curriculum (with integrative thinking and MBA subjects). However, whenever I search about the school in these forums, I always read that Rotman is only good for accounting (and slightly for finance).

Mcgill, on the other hand, seems to be good for Management. But I also always hear people saying that its Bcom program is its weakest department ("the joke of the school").

So, is Mcgill strong for Management? And what about Rotman?

Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Eu estudo na McGill e acho que e uma programa boa. Realmente nao sei como que e nas outras universidades porque eu somente tenho a experiencia de estudar aqui, mais gosto bastante.

Parece que voce quer nao apenas uma boa universidade, mas uma experiencia internacional. Por isso, eu recomendo McGill mais que Rotman. Do que eu sei, Rotman nao tem tanto 'student life' como na McGill; nos temos festas increveis, muitos eventos, muitas festivais, muita cultura em geral - Montreal e realmente uma cidade que eu amo, e nao tao grande como Toronto. Tambem, em Toronto, muitos estudantes ficam nas casas dos pais e nao podem sair tanto. McGill nao e assim, e tambem voce vai ter a oportunidade de conhecer muitas pessoas de diversos lugares - especialmente os Estados Unidos, a Franca, a China, etc. alem dos canadenses.

A programa do Management nao e tao famosa como nossa programa das ciencias, mais isso nao e dizer que nao e forte tambem. Se voce olha as estatisticas dos formandos de Desautels, eles fazem bem e tem sucesso.

(Nao sou brasileira, simplesmente falo portugues e queria praticar! haha)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ykama Ykama

Eu estudo na McGill e acho que e uma programa boa. Realmente nao sei como que e nas outras universidades porque eu somente tenho a experiencia de estudar aqui, mais gosto bastante.

Parece que voce quer nao apenas uma boa universidade, mas uma experiencia internacional. Por isso, eu recomendo McGill mais que Rotman. Do que eu sei, Rotman nao tem tanto 'student life' como na McGill; nos temos festas increveis, muitos eventos, muitas festivais, muita cultura em geral - Montreal e realmente uma cidade que eu amo, e nao tao grande como Toronto. Tambem, em Toronto, muitos estudantes ficam nas casas dos pais e nao podem sair tanto. McGill nao e assim, e tambem voce vai ter a oportunidade de conhecer muitas pessoas de diversos lugares - especialmente os Estados Unidos, a Franca, a China, etc. alem dos canadenses.

A programa do Management nao e tao famosa como nossa programa das ciencias, mais isso nao e dizer que nao e forte tambem. Se voce olha as estatisticas dos formandos de Desautels, eles fazem bem e tem sucesso.

(Nao sou brasileira, simplesmente falo portugues e queria praticar! haha)Haha! Seu português está ótimo e obrigado pela resposta!

Você se importaria se eu fizesse algumas perguntas sobre o programa de 'commerce' em Mcgill? Sinta-se a vontade para responder em inglês caso queira!

- Como são os professores e os cursos? A qualidade de ensino é boa?
- Como você compararia o aspecto acadêmico do programa com Queen's, Ivey e Rotman?
- As pessoas não costumam mencionar muito o programa de 'commerce' da Mcgill nesses foruns. Você acha que ele não é bem visto? Ou perde a reputação e o prestígio da marca Mcgill?

Muito obrigado pela ajuda e pela atenção!

---------------

For other users who do not speak portuguese, here's the translation of my questions regarding the commerce program in Mcgill:

- How are the professors and courses? Is the quality of teaching high?
- How would you compare the academic aspect of the commerce program at Mcgill with those of Queen's, Ivey and Rotman?
- People usually don't mention the commerce program of Mcgill in these forums. Do you think the program looses the prestige of the Mcgill brand by not being the core of the school?

Thanks a lot for all the information, guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Since you just asking for opinions, here are my thoughts:

Rotman
I think it's a pretty weak and a very overpriced program. This is coming not after reading school's marketing materials and the website, but after talking to a lot of my friends who are in that program. Many undergraduate Rotman students have switched out of the program because it does not offer much more value than a regular UofT program, but it does cost twice as much. It's very hard to earn a high GPA in that program because it is full of international Chinese students who get ridiculously high marks as long as they are not separated from their translators because most of them are very, very weak in English. For that reason it is also hard to build connections at that program.

The advantage of the program is its affiliation with UofT and with Rotman graduate school which is actually good. Outside of Canada, this program seems very prestigious.

McGill
You've stated correctly, McGill business school is the weakest faculty of the university. The knowledge you would receive there would be around average.

However, having McGill on your resume looks amazing. Although the business school does not have any major accomplishments, around the world it still has a good reputation due to the affiliation it carries. This is a great place to network with future lawyers, doctors, etc. I am not sure about future business learders though.

Ivey
Well, now you're getting somewhere if you want to study business. Ivey has an impressive alumni, its curriculum is quite strong and you get first 2 years to party all the time you want, but be prepared to be crippled with workload in the last 2 years.

Cons are location and cost. Situated in the middle of nowhere, Ivey offers little entertainment but massive house parties. Cost for international students for the last two years is ridiculous as well.

My suggestion
Not so secret option #4, Schulich. Schulich ranks top 10 in the world and #1 in Canada according to The Economist, Forbes and many other publication. It offers very innovative curriculum focused on sustainability, TBL and international business. It has a very accomplished alumni both in Canada and around the world. There is actually a big chapter in Brazil and a lot of our graduates work there at some pretty sexy positions. While Schulich offers great value, it is still one of the cheapest schools in Canada. Additionally, it is located in Toronto. 40 min transit trip away from the downtown core where you can have all of the fun you want.

Downside of Schulich is its affiliation with York university which is not considered the best in Canada, but within top 10. I strongly advise you to look into this option and you're welcome to message me if you have any questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@MINTOK wrote

Rotman
I think it's a pretty weak and a very overpriced program. This is coming not after reading school's marketing materials and the website, but after talking to a lot of my friends who are in that program. Many undergraduate Rotman students have switched out of the program because it does not offer much more value than a regular UofT program, but it does cost twice as much. It's very hard to earn a high GPA in that program because it is full of international Chinese students who get ridiculously high marks as long as they are not separated from their translators because most of them are very, very weak in English. For that reason it is also hard to build connections at that program.

The advantage of the program is its affiliation with UofT and with Rotman graduate school which is actually good. Outside of Canada, this program seems very prestigious.

McGill
You've stated correctly, McGill business school is the weakest faculty of the university. The knowledge you would receive there would be around average.

However, having McGill on your resume looks amazing. Although the business school does not have any major accomplishments, around the world it still has a good reputation due to the affiliation it carries. This is a great place to network with future lawyers, doctors, etc. I am not sure about future business learders though.

Ivey
Well, now you're getting somewhere if you want to study business. Ivey has an impressive alumni, its curriculum is quite strong and you get first 2 years to party all the time you want, but be prepared to be crippled with workload in the last 2 years.

Cons are location and cost. Situated in the middle of nowhere, Ivey offers little entertainment but massive house parties. Cost for international students for the last two years is ridiculous as well.

My suggestion
Not so secret option #4, Schulich. Schulich ranks top 10 in the world and #1 in Canada according to The Economist, Forbes and many other publication. It offers very innovative curriculum focused on sustainability, TBL and international business. It has a very accomplished alumni both in Canada and around the world. There is actually a big chapter in Brazil and a lot of our graduates work there at some pretty sexy positions. While Schulich offers great value, it is still one of the cheapest schools in Canada. Additionally, it is located in Toronto. 40 min transit trip away from the downtown core where you can have all of the fun you want.

Downside of Schulich is its affiliation with York university which is not considered the best in Canada, but within top 10. I strongly advise you to look into this option and you're welcome to message me if you have any questions.

Ivey is the best business school in Canada, has the best brand recognition in Canada, US, HK, and UK. McGill is great also. Avoid Rotman (UofT), Schulich (York), at all costs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@CMA2014 wrote
Ivey is the best business school in Canada, has the best brand recognition in Canada, US, HK, and UK. McGill is great also. Avoid Rotman (UofT), Schulich (York), at all costs.

Cool story bro. That's your opinion. :)

I think Schulich and Queen's are superior to Ivey. To each is own and this strongly depends on one's perspective. I am sure the argument about which school is the best will lead to no where. All schools have their own competitive advantages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

I think Schulich and Queen's are superior to Ivey. To each is own and this strongly depends on one's perspective. I am sure the argument about which school is the best will lead to no where. All schools have their own competitive advantages.

Schulich has absolutely no advantage over Ivey/Queen's. Feel free to try prove me wrong and fail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@CMA2014 wrote
Schulich has absolutely no advantage over Ivey/Queen's. Feel free to try prove me wrong and fail.

If I was stuck in Kingston with nothing else to do, but stare at the monitor and argue pointlessly on SA forum, I would. I have better things to do, however. Since you're the one in Kingston and going to do the former anyways, utilize "I'm feeling lucky" button to discover Schulich's advantages. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

If I was stuck in Kingston with nothing else to do, but stare at the monitor and argue pointlessly on SA forum, I would. I have better things to do, however. Since you're the one in Kingston and going to do the former anyways, utilize "I'm feeling lucky" button to discover Schulich's advantages. ;)

Ad hominem attacks, classy.

Just proves my point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@CMA2014 wrote

@MINTOK wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

^+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ykama Ykama

Rotman

McGill

Ivey

My suggestion

Thank you for all this information!

By the time I started searching about canadian universities, I first discovered UofT and Rotman commerce, quickly gaining excitement from the beatiful campus seen on videos and from all the prestige highlighted in the website.

I think that, beacuase of this whole affiliation I built with this institution, it's kind of hard for me to accept that it's weak. This is all very confusing. If you go to Harvard, ALL of its departments ARE going to be top-notch; if you go to MIT, ALL of its departments ARE also going to be spetacular! UofT is undeniably the best overall university in Canada. I can't imagine its commerce program being weak.

Maybe this whole negative view towards Rotman Commerce coming from UofT students is related to the fact that it's extremely hard, making a lot of people fail and get mad at the program. From my point of view, the difficulty of the program should be an indicator of its quality.

Well, from what I've read, canadian undergrad business schools have both negative and positive aspects:

Rotman

GOOD:
- it's part of UofT (best overall uni in canada)
- faculty from the Rotman School of Management (best MBA program in Canada for The Financial Times), teaching RSM courses, and from the Economics department (also one of the strongest in Canada), teaching ECO courses
- it's in the heart of toronto, the financial capital of Canada; steps from Bay Street
- international reputation

BAD:
- some say it's too hard (low GPA)
- bad connections
- no placement statistics published
- Asian students with lack of english skills (then how come can they understand the lectures and write tests, getting the best grades?)

Mcgill

GOOD:
- international reputation
- at the heart of Montreal, great place to live
- accomplished alumni body, with excellent placement statistics

BAD:
- not known for its business program
- the weakest department of the university

Ivey:

GOOD:
- great placement statistics (the best in Canada)
- great quality of teaching
- case study method

BAD:
- 2+2 year program (want to get right into business)
- The university itself is weak (see QS university ranking or TIMES HIGHER EDUCATION)
- not as much international reputation as Mcgill or Rotman
- London...
- reputation of being a "party school"

And thank you for the Shulich suggestion, I'll definately take a look at it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of commander108 commander108
Go to Rotmans. It is much easier to get into and U of T has a strong international reputation (although every student in Canada knows its undergraduate program (except engineering) really doesn't deserve it). Ivey is very well known in Canada and the U.S but in Brazil it likely won't be. It is much easier to adapt to a big multicultural city like Toronto as opposed to Western. Toronto is a great city to go to school in and you will probably enjoy it. As for Mcgill I have a bias against Quebec schools so I won't comment on it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of utorontoeric utorontoeric

@MINTOK wrote

Rotman

McGill

Ivey

My suggestion

Same as what I thought! However Big 3 (Ivey+Schulich+Queen's) are quite for canadians since UWO and York are not that well-known for employers outside North America. So..in this case I suggest OP go to McGill for sure
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@Ykama wrote
Você se importaria se eu fizesse algumas perguntas sobre o programa de 'commerce' em Mcgill? Sinta-se a vontade para responder em inglês caso queira!

- Como são os professores e os cursos? A qualidade de ensino é boa?
- Como você compararia o aspecto acadêmico do programa com Queen's, Ivey e Rotman?
- As pessoas não costumam mencionar muito o programa de 'commerce' da Mcgill nesses foruns. Você acha que ele não é bem visto? Ou perde a reputação e o prestígio da marca Mcgill?

Muito obrigado pela ajuda e pela atenção!

Nao posso dizer muito sobre a qualidade de ensino porque temos somente tres anos de "commerce" mesmo, e nao to la ainda. Mas eu sei que nos rankings, McGill faz bem. Tambem sei que e difficil.

De novo, nao posso comparar muito com as outras universidades porque nao tenho a experiencia de estudar la.

E sim, eu sei que poucas pessoas falam da McGill aqui, mas pela maioria, eles falam somente da UBC e as universidades em Ontario. Penso que a ideia de estudar em Quebec tambem da um pouco de medo as pessoas, pois muita gente fala frances (mesmo que Montreal e bilingue).

Ainda temos a reputacao de McGill, com certeza. Mais assim, isso e um pouco do problema ne - e mais "McGill" que e famosa, nao "Desautels".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@utorontoeric wrote

@MINTOK wrote

Rotman

McGill

Ivey

My suggestion

Same as what I thought! However Big 3 (Ivey+Schulich+Queen's) are quite for canadians since UWO and York are not that well-known for employers outside North America. So..in this case I suggest OP go to McGill for sure

It's funny because Queen's and Ivey gets recruiting from global banks and accountancy firms in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, China, Bermuda, UK, and Dubai....... If Big 2 (Ivey and Queen's) is not well known outside North America, why are recruiters flying over to our campuses to recruit us???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@CMA2014 wrote

It's funny because Queen's and Ivey gets recruiting from global banks and accountancy firms in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, China, Bermuda, UK, and Dubai....... If Big 2 (Ivey and Queen's) is not well known outside North America, why are recruiters flying over to our campuses to recruit us???

Not to mention that by gaining job experience from big-name companies and networking with leading professionals you suddenly have something way more valuable and recognizable than a degree from any university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@CMA2014 wrote

Those companies recruit from almost all business schools in Canada. For example, I was approached by E&Y partner from Dubai office when I met him through my work and mentioned I want to work in Dubai. He saw the way I work and wanted to interview me, but when he learned I was just in my first year, he gave me his card and told me to stay in touch. He took my resume, however, and we have been emailing ever since. Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, GS recruit from Schulich as well. Top students always get recruited by major players even if they are from uOttawa or Rotman. While Queen's and Ivey may get better opportunities right now because their alumni is established in such companies, the trend is changing and other schools are getting more opportunities now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

Those companies recruit from almost all business schools in Canada. For example, I was approached by E&Y partner from Dubai office when I met him through my work and mentioned I want to work in Dubai. He saw the way I work and wanted to interview me, but when he learned I was just in my first year, he gave me his card and told me to stay in touch. He took my resume, however, and we have been emailing ever since. Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, GS recruit from Schulich as well. Top students always get recruited by major players even if they are from uOttawa or Rotman. While Queen's and Ivey may get better opportunities right now because their alumni is established in such companies, the trend is changing and other schools are getting more opportunities now.

Class of 2011, Full time offer from Goldman Sachs NY IBD, S&T, ER:
Queen's: 6
Schulich: 0
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@CMA2014 wrote
Class of 2011, Full time offer from Goldman Sachs NY IBD, S&T, ER:
Queen's: 6
Schulich: 0

You should really follow the conversation and not just pull random, unrelated stats. Are you trying to show that Queen's is better for IB/trading? No one ever doubted that. I, for a fact, already mentioned that myself.

Looking at how you are pursuing a CMA designation, I assume you understand that there are other aspects of business aside from those mentioned above. Quality of education and opportunity Schulich offers in other fields of business is no worse than that of Queen's. Schulich places enough people in marketing, consulting, accounting and other areas for reputable employers in Canada and around the world. Given that it is one of the newest schools and does it for fraction of the cost of Queen's is only that much more impressive.

If you were following the conversation, you would realize that I was making my case against Ivey and not Queen's and there are many reasons for it. Perhaps you could use that critical thinking of yours which the Premier Business School was supposed to sharpen and look into the reasons why because there are plenty. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0