yconic - Help choosing appropriate grade 12 courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help choosing appropriate grade 12 courses

A photo of Weatherfanatic Weatherfanatic
Hello student awards community,

First off I'd like to say this is my first post here and I hope I have chosen the correct forum to ask my question. If not, please move it accordingly.

Anyways, I was hoping to get some advice on my semester 2 courses. I am a grade 12 BC student looking to go into environmental engineering or environmental science. I am at a bit of a dilema with my grade 12 courses.Basically, the problem that has arisen is that I was unable to take my physics 11 in grade 11 and therefore took had to take it first semester this year in grade 12. This leaves my second semester looking like this:

- Calculus 12
- Physics 12
- Chemistry 12
- English 12

Is it just me or does that seem a little bit heavy? I know that I could do it but I want to continue to get the grades to keep my conditional acceptance, and to be able to gain acceptance at other universities. My plan is to start in all them however if my grades begin to suffer I will probably have to drop a course.

So basically what I'm looking for is a bit of advice on which of these three I should drop if necisary ( I say 3 because English can't be dropped). Initially I thought it would be calculus since that is not technically a admission requirement, however I also know that my first math course in engineering will be calculus so I would like some exposure to it.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your advice!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of plato plato
Your primary goal is to gain admission to the program. To that end, taking the required courses first is your only option. I don't know the BC curriculum, but that sounds like an overloaded semester. If the course does not require calculus and they teach it first year, you can be sure they teach it from the ground up. You can always pickup a calculus book over the summer if you want to get ahead... but I would recommend enjoying your summer instead. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stylo stylo
It also really depends on what type of student you are. If you are good at keeping up with work then your grades wont really suffer too much but if you slack then it'll be harder for you. I'm also from bc and my first semester was like yours except swtich calc for biology and it wasnt really that bad. Good Luck !
Was this helpful? Yes 0