yconic - HELP! Course Selection~
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP! Course Selection~

A photo of iQ iQ
Hey,

I'm in grade 9 and am choosing courses for next year~I'm taking Gr.10 English in summer school and have already taken Gr.10 math as an elective this year, so it's just the sciences I'm worried about. Btw, I'm in the Extended French program.

CHC2DF Canadian History (in French)
CHV2OF Ed Citoyenne (Civics)
??? Don't know what to take here...
FEF2DI French-Ext
GLC2OF Choix Carr (Careers)
MCR3UI Functions
SBI3UI Biology
SCH3UI Chemistry
SNC2DI Science

Because I'm taking Gr.10 science first semester, I would have both Chemistry and Biology second semester. Does this schedule sound hard? I currently have a 90% average. If it helps, I want to get into a Pre-Med program or even a Life Science course.

The reason why I'm taking sciences early is because there's nothing really interesting in my course calendar and I couldn't wait to be in Gr.11 to take these courses.

Thanks ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
55 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Wow, that's quite a bit of fast tracking. Personally I would advise against taking functions in grade 10, it's not a good idea to have such a large gap between grade 11 and 12 math. Unless you plan on taking both calc and advanced functions in grade 11. Other than that I think you should be fine.

But really, take some interest courses! If none of the grade 10 courses seem interesting then look at the grade 11 courses. You're in grade 9 so there's still loads of time to decide on what you want to do. There's no need to rush :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I wish I would have fast-tracked more. Some of the courses I took were kinda useless. And if you do fast-track, you can take useless courses in Grade 12 to improve your admissions average :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@Impasse wrote
Wow, that's quite a bit of fast tracking. Personally I would advise against taking functions in grade 10, it's not a good idea to have such a large gap between grade 11 and 12 math. Unless you plan on taking both calc and advanced functions in grade 11. Other than that I think you should be fine.

But really, take some interest courses! If none of the grade 10 courses seem interesting then look at the grade 11 courses. You're in grade 9 so there's still loads of time to decide on what you want to do. There's no need to rush :P

Do I have to take Advanced Functions? I was planning on taking just Calculus in Gr. 11 and then I'd be finished with all of my req. for Uni.

I am interested in Biology and Chemistry, and the Gr.11 courses aren't really...the only think that remotely interests me as an elective is Anthropology.

But then I would have to switch that with something. Do you think I should take Uni English. I really don't like English >.<

I wish I would have fast-tracked more. Some of the courses I took were kinda useless. And if you do fast-track, you can take useless courses in Grade 12 to improve your admissions average cheers

That's kinda what I was planning on, since if you have an average over 95% you can get some really good scholarships. So easy courses would help with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Advanced Functions is a prerequisite of Calculus so yes, if calculus is a prerequisite for the Uni program you want to apply to then you have to take advanced functions. Though it doesn't have to be counted in your top 6 average.
4U English is mandatory for all university programs (as far as I know) so university English is a must.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@iQ wrote
That's kinda what I was planning on, since if you have an average over 95% you can get some really good scholarships. So easy courses would help with that.

Aren't most scholarships given out by universities based on the top 6 courses you use for admission? So if you do easy courses in grade 12 that you can't use for admission.. kind of useless.. Not 100% sure about the 6 course thing though.
But I guess if you're applying for other scholarships in the community and such that take your overall average, but most community scholarships look for involvement rather than just grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@Impasse wrote
Advanced Functions is a prerequisite of Calculus so yes, if calculus is a prerequisite for the Uni program you want to apply to then you have to take advanced functions. Though it doesn't have to be counted in your top 6 average.
4U English is mandatory for all university programs (as far as I know) so university English is a must.

Yikes, you're right. I just checked my course calendar and thought that as long as I took Functions I'd get into Calc. Thank you~!

Yepp, I know ENG4UI is mandatory, but I meant that I don't want to try fast tracking through those...

Aren't most scholarships given out by universities based on the top 6 courses you use for admission? So if you do easy courses in grade 12 that you can't use for admission.. kind of useless.. Not 100% sure about the 6 course thing though.
But I guess if you're applying for other scholarships in the community and such that take your overall average, but most community scholarships look for involvement rather than just grades.

Er, I don't think I know anything about that...But a 12th grade girl in my school has a 97% average and McMaster is paying for all of her schooling.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think if it's a university giving out the scholarship, it's only the top 6 you use for admission. That's what happened when Waterloo offered me a scholarship.. Pretty sure all Ont schools would be the same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@cyynthiia wrote
I think if it's a university giving out the scholarship, it's only the top 6 you use for admission. That's what happened when Waterloo offered me a scholarship.. Pretty sure all Ont schools would be the same.

I see. So you get to choose what 6 marks they get? For my schedule I was thinking:

English
Science
Functions
French
Advanced Functions
Biology or Chemistry=***
Careers and Civics
History

Should I choose Biology or Chemistry? I don't want it to be the hardest course I take, which is why I opted out of taking Physics in Grade.10 and leaving it till Gr.11
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im assuming you want to go into Sciences?
Since you're taking 2/3 of the sciences..
I took all 3 at both the grade 11 and 12 level, so I would say biology over chemistry.. but it really depends on the person.
If you're good at memorizing, biology is for you.
If you're good at understanding concepts as well as utilizing those concepts to solve question mathematically, then chemistry is for you.

As for your top 6.. you don't really get to choose.
For Science.. depending on the university.. most require..
English 12
Math 12 OR Calculus 12 (depending on the school once again)
either 1 OR 2 Science 12 courses (depending on the school.. again..)
Then for the rest of your marks, they will take the next highest..
so you really don't have to worry about "choosing," they'll automatically choose whichever courses that give you a higher average other than the required courses that I listed above.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@cyynthiia wrote
Im assuming you want to go into Sciences?
Since you're taking 2/3 of the sciences..
I took all 3 at both the grade 11 and 12 level, so I would say biology over chemistry.. but it really depends on the person.
If you're good at memorizing, biology is for you.
If you're good at understanding concepts as well as utilizing those concepts to solve question mathematically, then chemistry is for you.

As for your top 6.. you don't really get to choose.
For Science.. depending on the university.. most require..
English 12
Math 12 OR Calculus 12 (depending on the school once again)
either 1 OR 2 Science 12 courses (depending on the school.. again..)
Then for the rest of your marks, they will take the next highest..
so you really don't have to worry about "choosing," they'll automatically choose whichever courses that give you a higher average other than the required courses that I listed above.

Well, my original post did say I did want to go in to science ;P Yeah. Does this sound like a hard schedule? Because I wasn't sure whether or not I'm going to overwhelm myself by taking all of this...

Yeah~My mom also recommended Bio since she said it would be easier for me than Chem.

Do you think I should stick with English 2DI or do that in summer school? It might save me some grief of having another Uni course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
It depends on the program- but most will use the prerequisites + your best remaining courses, others will just use your best 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Personally I think English is the best course to fast track. Unlike science/ math the you don't need to remember much of what you learned in your previous grades to excel in English. There's also a lot of assignments in English and it's better to not have to worry about them in your grade 12 year.

I really don't recommend taking advanced functions in grade 10 unless you're extremely confident about your math skills. If I were you, I would take some of the "easy" grade 11 courses in grade 10 then take the grade 12 equivalent in grade 11. This way, you can focus on achieving high marks on your harder math/ science courses later on.

But that's only my view, I find that sometimes when people fast track in the math/ science courses they do worse than if they just took it in their grade 11 and 12 year. Though it all depends on the person, how they learn and how talented they are in that course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@Impasse wrote
Personally I think English is the best course to fast track. Unlike science/ math the you don't need to remember much of what you learned in your previous grades to excel in English. There's also a lot of assignments in English and it's better to not have to worry about them in your grade 12 year.

I really don't recommend taking advanced functions in grade 10 unless you're extremely confident about your math skills. If I were you, I would take some of the "easy" grade 11 courses in grade 10 then take the grade 12 equivalent in grade 11. This way, you can focus on achieving high marks on your harder math/ science courses later on.

But that's only my view, I find that sometimes when people fast track in the math/ science courses they do worse than if they just took it in their grade 11 and 12 year. Though it all depends on the person, how they learn and how talented they are in that course.

Yes, but I am taking the easiest Science U course in grade 11 and then doing the rest of them in the normal school year.

Advanced Functions? Really? What would be the difference in doing that in grade 11 except having a bit more time between both courses?

I'm making my 4=year plan outline and I can't seem to find someway to get all of my Uni courses in and also my electives. Grr :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are you insane, young one?!
How can you not have enough room to get in electives and the uni courses.. you only need 6!
I fast tracked a year too and I ended up not having ENOUGH courses to take this year so I have 2 spares.

English is a good one to fast track. I did that and I am SOOO very glad I did. Like Impasse said, there is no memorization or anything like that, it's just reading and responding.

As for Math, Math 10, 11, and 12 are all VERY different.. especially the different between math 11 and 12.. THEY ARE NOT RELATED AT ALL. At least not in the BC curriculum.

Although you are taking the "easier" science.. it's still not all that easy. I did the same thing as you.. I took Science 10 and Bio 11 at the same time, but because I didn't have the prior knowledge with Science 10, Bio 11 was a bit challenging still. I came out with an A regardless, but it was definitely tough. The workload between being in a younger grade course and a senior level course is a hugeeeeee gap that you need to consider if you want to fast track that much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@cyynthiia wrote
Are you insane, young one?!
How can you not have enough room to get in electives and the uni courses.. you only need 6!
I fast tracked a year too and I ended up not having ENOUGH courses to take this year so I have 2 spares.

English is a good one to fast track. I did that and I am SOOO very glad I did. Like Impasse said, there is no memorization or anything like that, it's just reading and responding.

As for Math, Math 10, 11, and 12 are all VERY different.. especially the different between math 11 and 12.. THEY ARE NOT RELATED AT ALL. At least not in the BC curriculum.

Although you are taking the "easier" science.. it's still not all that easy. I did the same thing as you.. I took Science 10 and Bio 11 at the same time, but because I didn't have the prior knowledge with Science 10, Bio 11 was a bit challenging still. I came out with an A regardless, but it was definitely tough. The workload between being in a younger grade course and a senior level course is a hugeeeeee gap that you need to consider if you want to fast track that much.

OH! I'm in a semestered system so I'll be taking Science 10 sem.1 and Bio.11 sem.2, so there isn't that problem for me.

English, really? Should I take grade 11 English in grade 10?

I'm not sure...I'm kind of getting confused about whether or not something counts as a compulsory credit or an elective credit >.<

For Math I'm thinking of taking Functions in sem.1 and Adv. Functions Sem. 2... bad idea?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Uhmm there is no difference btwn when you take English 11 and 10..
It's English 12 that you should get out of the way.. that's a nasty course.
I took that in Grade 11 over the summer and now I hear all my friends complaining and I'm just laughing in the background.

Im guessing Functions is math 11 and Adv Functions is math 12?
Sorry I'm from BC.. we don't use these confusing names. :P I would suggest only doing Functions.. and then taking Adv Functions in grade 11.. :P
Adv Func is an important course for university admissions, and that's a bit too much fast tracking.. unless you are VERY good with your math skills. Like I said.. The difference btwn Math 11 and 12 is hugeeee, they don't even relate in any way.

The only real compulsory credit in grade 12 is English 12. Everything else is an elective.
As for grade 11.. Its English 11, Math 11 and Socials 11.. everything else is an elective. I'm not sure if it's the same over there as it is here. You should talk with your counsellor about that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@cyynthiia wrote
Uhmm there is no difference btwn when you take English 11 and 10..
It's English 12 that you should get out of the way.. that's a nasty course.
I took that in Grade 11 over the summer and now I hear all my friends complaining and I'm just laughing in the background.

Im guessing Functions is math 11 and Adv Functions is math 12?
Sorry I'm from BC.. we don't use these confusing names. :P I would suggest only doing Functions.. and then taking Adv Functions in grade 11.. :P
Adv Func is an important course for university admissions, and that's a bit too much fast tracking.. unless you are VERY good with your math skills. Like I said.. The difference btwn Math 11 and 12 is hugeeee, they don't even relate in any way.

The only real compulsory credit in grade 12 is English 12. Everything else is an elective.
As for grade 11.. Its English 11, Math 11 and Socials 11.. everything else is an elective. I'm not sure if it's the same over there as it is here. You should talk with your counsellor about that.

Lol Functions is 11 and Advanced is 12. I'll take that advice about the English. It's my worse subject (89 -.-)

Well, than I have to decide what my last elective will be if I'm not taking Adv. Functions. Does taking Chem w/ Bio sound too hard to you? Any courses you recommend?

Er, we don't need socials, but English 11 and Math 11 are compulsory. Kk. That helped a lot!

Thank you to everyone who posted!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

89 isn't bad at all.
I didn't even get 89 in English 10.. but I ended up getting 95 in English 12.. so you never know, miracles happen!

Hmmm... I know people who did Bio 11 during the school year and Chem 11 over the summer.. I don't think it'd be a good idea to take both at the same one.

Your course load is alrdy really heavy.. take something FUN and EASY.. like Home Ec or something like that.. honestly, you're overworking yourself way too much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@cyynthiia wrote
89 isn't bad at all.
I didn't even get 89 in English 10.. but I ended up getting 95 in English 12.. so you never know, miracles happen!

Hmmm... I know people who did Bio 11 during the school year and Chem 11 over the summer.. I don't think it'd be a good idea to take both at the same one.

Your course load is alrdy really heavy.. take something FUN and EASY.. like Home Ec or something like that.. honestly, you're overworking yourself way too much!

Lol I've heard many people say that. But, the thing is, is that some of my lowest marks are in fun classes. Like music, for instance. I switched Technology for Gr.10 math because I enjoyed the latter more.

I agree. Taking another science would be overwhelming, but a lot of people do take all 3 sciences at the same time, so...

I really don't know what that last elective will be. Imma look through the calendar again...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Most people I know took 2 at a time.
I would have taken 3, but I ended up fast tracking bio so I ended up only doing 2 at once.. which is Chem and Phys right now.
I did Chem 11 Phys 11 and Bio 12 all at the same time and let me tell you.. it was HARD.
I spent so much time trying to do good in Bio 12 that I neglected the other two because I thought they weren't as "important" and i just wanted to "get them over with" to be able to get into Chem 12 and Phys 12.
Bad mistake, very bad. My foundation going into the senior level sciences was really weak that way.

Well like you even said, they're "fun" classes right, they don't count for anything in terms of university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well you seem to enjoy math so maybe grade 11 accounting if you have that course in your school? Anthropology is another course you could take though I hear that there's a lot of workload in that course. Still, my friends seemed to like it.

I actually thought that the biggest transition was between grade 10 and grade 11 math, the concepts we learned in advanced functions were easier to grasp. I was thinking that you should probably take calculus and advanced functions in the same year since advanced functions leads to calc. Or at least that's what my teachers emphasized.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
I would second taking Gr. 11 accounting (BAF3M) if you can.

Also consider taking computer science (ICS3U) if your school offers it. Even if you don't plan to go into a progrma that needs it, it can be really helpful with problem solving which is useful everywhere. Though some of that depends on the teacher.

I would also hesistate on fast-tracking Advanced Functions and/or Calculus, especially if you go into any program that has heavy math. You don't want to have too large of a gap between needing it for university and when you learned. I'm worried about this because I took a 5th year but am going into a Math program and I won't have done calculus for a year.

Also, don't limit yourself to science and math courses. Try another course now when you have the chance because you might realize you like it more.

High school can be a really great time if you want it to be, but it won't be if you are just trying to leave as fast as possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iQ iQ

@cyynthiia wrote
Most people I know took 2 at a time.
I would have taken 3, but I ended up fast tracking bio so I ended up only doing 2 at once.. which is Chem and Phys right now.
I did Chem 11 Phys 11 and Bio 12 all at the same time and let me tell you.. it was HARD.
I spent so much time trying to do good in Bio 12 that I neglected the other two because I thought they weren't as "important" and i just wanted to "get them over with" to be able to get into Chem 12 and Phys 12.
Bad mistake, very bad. My foundation going into the senior level sciences was really weak that way.

Well like you even said, they're "fun" classes right, they don't count for anything in terms of university.

See, that's what I'd end up doing ]; What do you suggest? Should I take both Chem and Bio in the same sem. or should I just leave them all to gr. 11?

Well you seem to enjoy math so maybe grade 11 accounting if you have that course in your school? Anthropology is another course you could take though I hear that there's a lot of workload in that course. Still, my friends seemed to like it.

I actually thought that the biggest transition was between grade 10 and grade 11 math, the concepts we learned in advanced functions were easier to grasp. I was thinking that you should probably take calculus and advanced functions in the same year since advanced functions leads to calc. Or at least that's what my teachers emphasized

I was actually planning on taking Anthropology! It really fascinates me, but then again like you said, the workload's a bit much. SO...

We have that course here but I'm not really sure I want to take ANOTHER math course >.<

I would second taking Gr. 11 accounting (BAF3M) if you can.

Also consider taking computer science (ICS3U) if your school offers it. Even if you don't plan to go into a progrma that needs it, it can be really helpful with problem solving which is useful everywhere. Though some of that depends on the teacher.

I would also hesistate on fast-tracking Advanced Functions and/or Calculus, especially if you go into any program that has heavy math. You don't want to have too large of a gap between needing it for university and when you learned. I'm worried about this because I took a 5th year but am going into a Math program and I won't have done calculus for a year.

Also, don't limit yourself to science and math courses. Try another course now when you have the chance because you might realize you like it more.

High school can be a really great time if you want it to be, but it won't be if you are just trying to leave as fast as possible.

Yepp, I think I'm going to take Advanced Functions in Gr. 11 and Calculus in Gr.12. You see, I'm just not that excited for anything else. I'm not sure what I really like or don't like. I love music but my music teacher was horrible. And I like Law but my Business teacher teaches that course and speaks in a monotone, which doesn't really excite me that much 0.o

Computer Science? I'll check with some of my upperclassmen about that. I love working with computers, but don't really know if I want to do it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In grade 10, take science one semester.. bio one semester..
then in grade 11, do either chem or phys 1 semester.. along with bio 12
then the second semester of grade 11.. do the one that you didnt do.. chem or phys..
So by the end of grade 11, you have chem bio phys 11 and bio 12
Then in grade 12.. You really don't need all 3 sciences.. but you could either pick Chem 12 or Physics 12.. or do both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@iQ wrote
I'm not sure what I really like or don't like.

This is why you shouldn't fast-track too much. You end up missing out on courses that you might like but don't want to try. Right now you seem so set on going into science post-secondary but you're still in grade 9. Don't box yourself in right now. By the end of grade 11 or 12 you might realize that you don't want to go into the sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0