yconic - help! for business: laurier vs. utsc?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

help! for business: laurier vs. utsc?

A photo of kw94 kw94
Okay. so i havent received all my offers yet but ive basically numbered then down on a list. but im not which one of these 2 to put first. for business i mean.

pros:
utsc (coop management):
has co-op
a pretty big community so im assuming there are lots to do
heard their extra cirriculars are good to join and stuff
much smaller enrollment number (170 vs. laurier's 740). so im assumming smaller classes

laurier (BBA):
i get to live in res. --> learn to rely on myself more
small community --> maybe build closer connections?
also has a coop program, but i have to apply and i may or may not get in
i heard 3rd and 4th year = small classes

and then of course there are the actual program courses.
which do you guys think is "better"

thanks for all your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101

@kw94 wrote
Okay. so i havent received all my offers yet but ive basically numbered then down on a list. but im not which one of these 2 to put first. for business i mean.

pros:
utsc (coop management):
has co-op
much smaller enrollment number (170 vs. laurier's 740). so im assumming smaller classes

laurier (BBA):

I would say Laurier just because even though there a chance of not getting into co-op you can still have good job prospects after graduation and be able to do internships. But either one is good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kw94 kw94

@Lawstudent1 wrote

@kw94 wrote

pros:
utsc (coop management):
has co-op

laurier (BBA):

UTSC Coop is much better.

is there a specific reason?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am in the same predicament. I like Laurier because the University "Experience" is supposedly better and UTSC is a commuter school. Everyone I talk to says the UTSC campus is bad, UTSC is in a bad location, but they say the program is really good. However, I will probably because pick Laurier because I want to move out(Be independent), plus the program is really good too. Reputation ain't bad either and rep is getting better and better at Laurier. Co-Op is not guaranteed at laurier, but that is a risk I am willing to take. Good Luck on your decision
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kw94 kw94

@DwayneMVPwade wrote
I am in the same predicament. I like Laurier because the University "Experience" is supposedly better and UTSC is a commuter school. Everyone I talk to says the UTSC campus is bad, UTSC is in a bad location, but they say the program is really good. However, I will probably because pick Laurier because I want to move out(Be independent), plus the program is really good too. Reputation ain't bad either and rep is getting better and better at Laurier. Co-Op is not guaranteed at laurier, but that is a risk I am willing to take. Good Luck on your decision

thanks :) thats what i hear too. the only reason why im even considering utsc is cause of the coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kw94 kw94
thanks guys! i love hearing both sides. btw. which school has a "harder" course. im not sure about utsc, but i *heard* that ut dt is pretty intense, and it basically kills your gpa. is it like that for utsc and laurier too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Lawstudent1 wrote

@DwayneMVPwade wrote

All irrelevant reasons that I based my decision on in going to McMaster for and am now transferring to York. University experience is what you make of it and who you choose to hang out with. My friends and I visit UTSC frequently and study in their library. Atmosphere is great. Your basis in making a decision on a university should be on program, which UTSC is superior for and has a better reputation, and money saved. UTSC is 10x cheaper. Out of Laurier's 800 BBA students only about 150 get coop. You'll be living in Waterloo for 5 years-things such as residence,school atmosphere, moving out will seem important to you now but in the long run it's how much you are in debt,the degree and transcript you hold in your hand and your work experience that matter.

Who said UTSC was superior to Laurier?

While your personal anecdote is great and all, I can give you examples of people who made their decision based on the quality of the program only, ended up hating it, then transferred to a school with a better quality of life for them, where they ended up succeeding and being happy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Classof87 Classof87
Good discussion going here, but lawstudent let's not get too fast and loose with the numbers. In the current 2nd year BBA class at Laurier, just over 600 of the remaining students (numbers drop from 900+ in first year to closer to 800, as you have pointed out) apply for co-op (meaning they met the cut-off mark, a B average in first year, same as last year, and they are interested in co-op, not everyone is), and 295 students were successful in getting in. Much closer to a 50/50 chance of getting in than you had indicated. Just want to make sure of our facts here....Your comments on UTSC and the atmosphere are great as you have been there and that matters a lot, you are right in saying choose a school that you have visited and can really see yourself going there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
The coop session for BBA at this year's laurier open house also said that they predict 600 students applying and they plan on offering 295-300 spots.

Also disagreeing with lawstudent here, I think laurier has the better program. I know I haven't heard of UTSC until this year in like beruary when some posts cropped up; many more people know about laurier. As for cost- laurier is about $6319/yr for tuition. That is definitely not expensive compared to other schools. I don't know UTSC's tuition, but even if it is lower, probs not much lower than that.

laurier over utsc :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Clutch Clutch
I'd pick UTSC over Laurier because you've already been accepted into UTSC's co-op (sounds like something your interested in). Just my 2 cents
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loxx43 loxx43
Getting into co-op in Laurier is easy. I wouldn't worry about it unless you cannot deal with interviews or never had a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Johnk101 Johnk101
Agreed, Laurier is the better choice, and this is coming from a UTSC co-op student. The fees will be similar after including because UTSC charges insane deregulated fees. Don't worry about co-op too much, it's over-rated in my opinion. I know non-coop students who found better internships by themselves at both UTSC and Laurier (one of them is interning at a boutique investment bank right now!) If co-op is important to you, Laurier is still the better choice because it's a breeze to get into.

The classes (especially) accounting is much easier at Lauier. The system is set up so that the average is mid-60s at UTSC, which absolutely sucks. And you may think, I'm smart, it'll never happen to me, but remember, most of your colleagues aren't stupid. They too had mid-80 or 90 averages in high school.

Remember, you only do undergrad once. Enjoy it, live on rez, explore and make good connections. That's not something that's easy to do at UTSC where social life is lacking. Good luck with your descision!
Was this helpful? Yes 0