yconic - Help for Gr12 marks and University Entrance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help for Gr12 marks and University Entrance

A photo of qqzmk943473452 qqzmk943473452
Hey,

I am a grade 12 student who will be graduating this year.
I currently have a grade twelve credit BAT4M at 98%.

My gr.11 ending average was 90.75%, including the gr12 credit.

This year I am planning to take (non-semester school)
BOH4M
SPH4U
MDM4U
SCH4U
MHF4U
MCV4U
FSF3U
ENG4U

One question I have is that I am unsure of whether or not 4M or 4U courses adversely affect university acceptance, I mean, is M-leveled course the equivalent of 4U leveled courses exactly for U of T? I mean exactly the same? not different at all? I heard some rumours saying that U of T only want 1M leveled Business course for Business University Programs, so will it adversely impact my average if I take BOH4M/BBB4M/BAT4M

of the seven gr12 courses, which courses do you think I should drop to ensure the maximization of my top six u. credit average?
I'm planning to drop SPH4U or should I drop BOH4M and SPH4U and then add HSB4M1
which one is easier? HSB4M or BOH4M

Also, if I drop SPH4U/or and BOH4M, should it be a good idea to take an extra Gr. 12 course at Night School such as EWC4U/CLN4U/Philophy/International Business or should I just stick with dropping SPH4U

Also, is Data Management hard? I had 96% in MCR3U but I've never encountered such problems like data in my life before.

Also, how do you manage your time wisely in gr.12 and how to increase efficiency?

thank you so much i appreciate all of your input
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@qqzmk943473452 wrote
Hey,

I am a grade 12 student who will be graduating this year.
I currently have a grade twelve credit BAT4M at 98%.

My gr.11 ending average was 90.75%, including the gr12 credit.

First of all, congratulations. Keep it up!

@qqzmk943473452 wrote

This year I am planning to take (non-semester school)
BOH4M
SPH4U
MDM4U
SCH4U
MHF4U
MCV4U
FSF3U
ENG4U

One question I have is that I am unsure of whether or not 4M or 4U courses adversely affect university acceptance, I mean, is M-leveled course the equivalent of 4U leveled courses exactly for U of T? I mean exactly the same? not different at all? I heard some rumours saying that U of T only want 1M leveled Business course for Business University Programs, so will it adversely impact my average if I take BOH4M/BBB4M/BAT4M

U or M courses are equally acceptable, unless your program specifies a limit of M courses that can be included in your top 6. I've seen some programs where they take no more than 2 4M courses in your top 6 average. Personally I haven't yet seen a limit of only 1 4M business course. I know that Rotman Commerce won't limit you. But if that's the case, they would just take your highest 4M course (probably the Accounting one), and choose 5 out of your 4U courses.

@qqzmk943473452 wrote

of the seven gr12 courses, which courses do you think I should drop to ensure the maximization of my top six u. credit average?
I'm planning to drop SPH4U or should I drop BOH4M and SPH4U and then add HSB4M1
which one is easier? HSB4M or BOH4M

I can't really say which one is easier. I haven't taken either of those courses, but I've heard from other students that they are both fairly easy. If you plan on going to business, though, BOH4M is probably more worth it since you can at least take something out of it and use it in university. Then again, the reason why business programs don't require any business credits in high school is because they usually overlap on the material.

@qqzmk943473452 wrote

Also, if I drop SPH4U/or and BOH4M, should it be a good idea to take an extra Gr. 12 course at Night School such as EWC4U/CLN4U/Philophy/International Business or should I just stick with dropping SPH4U

Depends on your commute to your night school and day school and your lifestyle. Honestly, you should be fine without a night school credit. If it's just extra work for you, then it isn't worth your time. Are you really interested in taking those courses in night school?

@qqzmk943473452 wrote

Also, is Data Management hard? I had 96% in MCR3U but I've never encountered such problems like data in my life before.

Data Management is very different from Functions. The only overlap between Data and Grade 11 Functions is a little bit on sequences and series, as well as Pascal's Triangle. It's not heavy on formulas, but rather on logic. It involves a lot of putting different items to categories and counting how many are in each. The first few chapters might bore you, but it gets fun later on (wait until probability distributions and stuff). I passed MDM4U with a final mark of 96%.

@qqzmk943473452 wrote

Also, how do you manage your time wisely in gr.12 and how to increase efficiency?

That's the thing that schools never teach you. All I can really say is that you should manage your time according to your comfort level, not to others'. Tackle day-to-day homework first then concentrate on the projects if you have any. If not, enjoy yourself! Try not to do schoolwork all day, as you need to take care of your health and social life.

If you think you're getting too much work from a course you don't even need and don't like, drop it for a spare (dropping SPH4U, as you mentioned may be a good idea in this case). Afternoon spares are usually more helpful, in my opinion. Use that time to study for tests/do homework from the important classes and stuff. If you need to memorize something, I suggest you rewrite your notes on cue cards (something portable that you can have in your pocket), page by page. As you write, you recall things. And go over them in your head while taking a walk, in transit, etc. over and over until you're comfortable.

@qqzmk943473452 wrote

thank you so much i appreciate all of your input

Feel free to ask anytime. We're here to help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0