yconic - HELP FOR NEW GRADE 12s
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP FOR NEW GRADE 12s

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
As a long time user of this (and the old SA) tread I would like to welcome all new 12ers that are on here for 2011-2012. I know you guys are probably stressed, I was in you shoes a year ago and I know how it feels. I am starting at Mcmaster this year (see signature). If you guys have any questions about the general admission:cheers: process or Science specific programs, I am here to help. Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Your apostrophe's on the wrong side. Embarrassing...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kevin4 Kevin4
Hi, I'm in grade 11 and a lot of people in my school are taking grade 12 courses in grade 11. If I take grade 12 English this year then my schedule for grade 12 would look like this: Advanced Functions, Biology, Chemistry, Excersise Science, Philosophy: Questions and Theories, Earth and Space Science (All university Prep).

In the end I would have taken a total of 7 University prep grade 12 courses. The University programs I'm interested in have English, advanced functions and two sciences as prerequisites.

How would the Universities calculate my grade average? Would they still only count the 6 I take in grade 12 excluding English that I took in grade 11. Or would they count the top 6 marks out of the 7 I have taken in total? Or maybe they count the prerequisites as 4 and then take that average, then calculate the final 2 by excluding the lowest mark of the non prerequisites.

Thanks so much if you can answer this! Its been bugging me for a while!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willeh willeh
What other universities/programs did you apply to and what was the process like? For example what kind of info did you need to send in? Did they ask for anything other then your marks?

And if you took AP courses in grade 12, how did it affect your uni application?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
When calculating a top 6 average (for schools), use prerequisites first, and then the next highest grade 12 scores. If scholarships ask for your top 6 average, I usually used my top 6 courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@Kevin4 wrote
Hi, I'm in grade 11 and a lot of people in my school are taking grade 12 courses in grade 11. If I take grade 12 English this year then my schedule for grade 12 would look like this: Advanced Functions, Biology, Chemistry, Excersise Science, Philosophy: Questions and Theories, Earth and Space Science (All university Prep).

Just asking out of curiosity, but how are you going to take grade 12 English in grade 11? Did you already do grade 11 English? Or does your school not require a prereq?

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw your other post... the whole semestered system is so foreign to me haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Kevin4 wrote
How would the Universities calculate my grade average? Would they still only count the 6 I take in grade 12 excluding English that I took in grade 11. Or would they count the top 6 marks out of the 7 I have taken in total? Or maybe they count the prerequisites as 4 and then take that average, then calculate the final 2 by excluding the lowest mark of the non prerequisites.

They won't ignore English 12 if you took in grade 11. It is a prerequisite for every program. Depending on what province you're from they'll look at a different number of courses. For BC it's 4, for Alberta it's 5 and for Ontario it's 6. To calculate your average they will first take your prerequisites and then your next highest grade 12 marks to fulfill the number of courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
As a long time user of this (and the old SA) tread I would like to welcome all new 12ers that are on here for 2011-2012. I know you guys are probably stressed, I was in you shoes a year ago and I know how it feels. I am starting at Mcmaster this year (see signature). If you guys have any questions about the general admission:cheers: process or Science specific programs, I am here to help. Good Luck!

Congratulations in getting into Mac. In reading your older posts, I would like to know what made you decide to go to Mac as opposed to Guelph .

Thanks in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kevin4 wrote

In the end I would have taken a total of 7 University prep grade 12 courses. The University programs I'm interested in have English, advanced functions and two sciences as prerequisites.

Thanks so much if you can answer this! Its been bugging me for a while!

University will take your TOP 6 marks, INCLUDING PREREQUISITES. So English being a prerequisite for every program, they will take the English you took in grade 11 (its the same with any other course, the year you take it in has no importance).

@willeh wrote
What other universities/programs did you apply to and what was the process like? For example what kind of info did you need to send in? Did they ask for anything other then your marks?

And if you took AP courses in grade 12, how did it affect your uni application?

I applied to U of T (Life Sciences), Mac (Life Sciences), Guelph (Biomed), York (for Kin and Biomed). The whole process is simple, but remember that no one is going to help you (at least my school didn't). Also I advise you to FORGET those grade 11 marks, after you have at least 3 FINAL grade 12 marks in (or 6 mid-term if you're in non- semester school), they become useless.
I can't comment on AP classes sorry, try searching the forum.

@aquarius wrote
Congratulations in getting into Mac. In reading your older posts, I would like to know what made you decide to go to Mac as opposed to Guelph .

Academic wise they are both amazing programs and schools. I chose Mac because I loved the campus, I had friends with me going there (for rez.) and it was my dream school since forever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
Also I advise you to FORGET those grade 11 marks, after you have at least 3 FINAL grade 12 marks in (or 6 mid-term if you're in non- semester school), they become useless.

Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I'm guessing those marks would hold more weight for admissions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@KingKhan wrote

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
Also I advise you to FORGET those grade 11 marks, after you have at least 3 FINAL grade 12 marks in (or 6 mid-term if you're in non- semester school), they become useless.

Why?

Because by that time, early admission decisions would have been finalized, which means grade 11 marks will be disregarded. Universities will do early acceptances in late January or so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Zion wrote

There's two apostrophes, both around the outside of McMaster University 15. I'm not really sure why that is, but it is hardly embarrassing.

And did all the avatars disappear????
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gongshow Gongshow
Sup guys I'm going into gr 12 this year and I took 4U chem over the summer so I have two spares :cheers:

I'm also taking:

adv functions
calc and vectors
biology
english
relgion
hockey

what avg do I need to have a comfortable chance of getting into western biomed, queens life sci, or mac health sci?

I'm sure I can achieve a high 80 avg, just not sure about those 90s its gonna be a battle this year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skookybird Skookybird
Doesn’t matter when you take it, a Grade 12 U course counts towards the top six (as do M arts courses to most schools, but you should check).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gongshow wrote
Sup guys I'm going into gr 12 this year and I took 4U chem over the summer so I have two spares :cheers:

I'm also taking:

adv functions
calc and vectors
biology
english
relgion
hockey

what avg do I need to have a comfortable chance of getting into western biomed, queens life sci, or mac health sci?

I'm sure I can achieve a high 80 avg, just not sure about those 90s its gonna be a battle this year

Western 87-90%
Queens 87+ (not sure tho)
Mac health sci 90%+ after you hit that 90% your average stops counting and they look at your supplementary application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
did you ever consider going to waterloo? did you visit the city?
im from toronto and im thinking of going to waterloo but i dont know if i'd like the quiet life...

and when do you start applying for universities? when do you get the early acceptances or general acceptances? and does it matter if i dont join any extracirrucular clubs for my grade 12 year? after all, im not going into a very competitive program.. (psychology)

thanks a lot! GRADE 12 is gonna be the last year.. im so excited. :cheers:

have fun in mcmasters!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
wait another question,
how do universities see your top six marks when youre applying?
like by January you aren't even finished a course yet. =/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@xoblackout wrote
wait another question,

To get early admission, they look at your grade 11 marks

When it is around April-may, they use your grade 12 first semester marks and second semester mid-term.(I don't know about public schools)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote

@xoblackout wrote
wait another question,

To get early admission, they look at your grade 11 marks

When it is around April-may, they use your grade 12 first semester marks and second semester mid-term.(I don't know about public schools)

You meant non-semestered schools, right? Marks sent to OUAC are based on the second term marks, (a friend told me this) which is on the March report card.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@xoblackout wrote
did you ever consider going to waterloo? did you visit the city?
im from toronto and im thinking of going to waterloo but i dont know if i'd like the quiet life...

and when do you start applying for universities? when do you get the early acceptances or general acceptances? and does it matter if i dont join any extracirrucular clubs for my grade 12 year? after all, im not going into a very competitive program.. (psychology)

thanks a lot! GRADE 12 is gonna be the last year.. im so excited. :cheers:

have fun in mcmasters!

Hey!

-I never applied to waterloo, never visited (it seemed more of a "math" school to me, don't know why).

-You start applying at around december time (winter break).
You do not need any extra curricula's at all, most Canadian universities don't care, you can include them in a supplementary application, but thats as good as it gets. IMO forget Extra Curriculars.

[size=7]How do Universityies calculate TOP 6?
[/size]
Semestred

They send "early" acceptances from January to around march based on ONLY a minimum of 3 Final 4U marks. If your top 3-4 is high enough (2-5% above the indicated cutoff). then you get a conditional offer, and you have to meet their conditions by June. If your top 3-4 is low then they wait until early May to get your midterms for 2nd semester.

Non-Semestered

Same idea, except in January they look at top six MIDTERM MARKS, and look at final in June if those are not high enough.

Sorry for the late reply...the pace has picked up at university xD.

ALL THE BEST!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
^ I thought early admission was based on grade 11 marks + grade 12 first semester and not just grade 12 first semester finals?

Also, I took ENG4U1 in summer school prior to grade 12, would they still look at my grade 11 english mark for early acceptance?

and would you happen to know about the process for applying to universities outside Ontario?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am taking a year off and applying this year, will universities look grade 11 marks or just grade 12 top six?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@safarhealthsci1 wrote

[size=7]How do Universityies calculate TOP 6?
[/size]
Semestred

They send "early" acceptances from January to around march based on ONLY a minimum of 3 Final 4U marks. If your top 3-4 is high enough (2-5% above the indicated cutoff). then you get a conditional offer, and you have to meet their conditions by June. If your top 3-4 is low then they wait until early May to get your midterms for 2nd semester.

Non-Semestered

Same idea, except in January they look at top six MIDTERM MARKS, and look at final in June if those are not high enough.

Sorry for the late reply...the pace has picked up at university xD.

ALL THE BEST!!!

Schools can give out early acceptances before they even get any marks earned in grade 12. They would use all grade 11 marks and any grade 12 courses you've completed before the school year. I've even heard stories of people who were accepted in December last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555

@Zion wrote

No its not. Look closely, the apostrophes are around the entire thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0