HELP GRADE 12 and University CRISIS :(
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP GRADE 12 and University CRISIS :(

A photo of mndhoxy mndhoxy
I want to study the Concurrent Teacher Education(BED) program at York university!! I do not know if I should take co-op again? I already had it in grade 11 but teaching is a career that I would like to pursue in the future therefore I need advice weather I should take it again! My weakness is Math and the only thing I can take is Data Management which frankly speaking I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE because I know for a fact that because of this course my average will drop I rather take Accounting then take Math!!! But our guidance counselor told us that we need ENG4U and 5U or M courses so my only options are to take all the social sciences. <br> <br>NOW MY QUESTION IS: <br> <br>-Should I take co-op again? (Will York look at my experience at a school even though it was an open course) <br>-Do I need Math in grade 12 <br>- Should I just take Accounting instead of Math <br>- Or should I take Math in Summer School <br> <br> <br>Additional Details <br>Co-op- Cooperative education (this is a program that we have at our school that means a student gets to choose the career field they want to go in and have a 4 month experience. So my placement was at a school where I helped a grade 4/5 split class with their work and I even got to teach them. <br> <br>I took Mixed Math in grade 11 and I passed with a 69 average <br> <br>What I am planning on taking in grade 12 <br> <br>English <br>Writer&#39;s craft <br>World History West and the World <br>Accounting <br>Art <br>Design and Publishing <br>Math (Maybe) <br>Co-op(Maybe) <br>
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
Read this: http://edu.yorku.ca/bed/bed_concurrent_brochure.pdf

So you don't need math if you can get into a York program without math. You do want a really high average.

Specifically read: "Selection is based on grade point average, related age-specific experience (as a classroom volunteer, coach, camp counsellor etc.), a personal statement, an interview and two letters of reference"

So your classroom experience is totally relevant. You don't NEED to do it through co-op though and if you need another U course, then drop co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
get all of your courses done. Get your average high enough for the cut off. Take easy courses and courses you know you will enjoy. Sometimes taking a really easy course isn't the best thing...yes u'll get a good mark but those 4 months will be sooooo boring...but having one boring class in a semester isn't that bad.

GOOD LUCK
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ark1227 ark1227

@mndhoxy wrote
-Should I take co-op again? (Will York look at my experience at a school even though it was an open course)
-Do I need Math in grade 12
- Should I just take Accounting instead of Math
- Or should I take Math in Summer School

Co-op is an open course, therefore it will not be looked at by universities

I highly suggest taking at least one math in grade 12, even if it's just data management

I highly discourage summer school, especially for math, because you are dedicating half your summer,not to mention that you aren't always learning the full material. There's also a lot of stress involved with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TurtleJesus TurtleJesus
I believe many schools have an IDC4U course for peer tutoring so it would count for universities and it would count as experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KathleenYu KathleenYu

@ark1227 wrote

@mndhoxy wrote
-Should I take co-op again? (Will York look at my experience at a school even though it was an open course)
-Do I need Math in grade 12
- Should I just take Accounting instead of Math
- Or should I take Math in Summer School

Co-op is an open course, therefore it will not be looked at by universities

I highly suggest taking at least one math in grade 12, even if it's just data management

I highly discourage summer school, especially for math, because you are dedicating half your summer,not to mention that you aren't always learning the full material. There's also a lot of stress involved with that.

I heard more about this McMaster University they saying they are great!:cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted