yconic - HELP!!! I NEED MONEY!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP!!! I NEED MONEY!!

A photo of wu wu
i am planning on going to waterloo next year, but with all the scholarships, bursaries, estimated amount of osap and savings, i am still short $6000.
i do not have RESP, my parents are not paying a penny, I am already working 3 jobs right now, i am nearly desperate.
what can i do? please help, any advice would be much appreciated!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@wu wrote
i am planning on going to waterloo next year, but with all the scholarships, bursaries, estimated amount of osap and savings, i am still short $6000.
i do not have RESP, my parents are not paying a penny, I am already working 3 jobs right now, i am nearly desperate.
what can i do? please help, any advice would be much appreciated!!

I wish I could give you some good advice, but honestly, the only thing you can do right now is to get a loan from the bank :( and of course you're going to need your parents for this.
don't worry though, co-op really helps. You'll pay it off in no time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What program are you in where you've received scholarships, bursaries, OSAP, savings, an RESP, working 3 jobs, and you're STILL short $6,000?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wu wu

@ARMY101 wrote
What program are you in where you've received scholarships, bursaries, OSAP, savings, an RESP, working 3 jobs, and you're STILL short $6,000?!

math/business DD. tuitions not bad, but i have to live at waterloo, and i have no RESP
OSAP wont give me much cause of my parents income :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh
If your parents have a high income but they refuse to pay, you're out of luck because osap will expect your parents to contribute..
Sadly, I think the best you can do is to beg your parents to lend you money.. or else, like shirlx said, get a loan from the bank.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@wu wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

math/business DD. tuitions not bad, but i have to live at waterloo, and i have no RESP

Then it's your and your parents' responsibility to pay for your tuition. Work?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaytotz kaytotz

@ARMY101 wrote

@wu wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

He's already working 3 jobs..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaytotz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@wu wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

There's no way he's working 3 jobs, has a bit of OSAP money, and still can't pay $6,000...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh

@ARMY101 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@wu wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

There's no way he's working 3 jobs, has a bit of OSAP money, and still can't pay $6,000...

I'm sure his tuition+res+expenses cost more than $10000 and 3 jobs(assuming that they're all part-time) can only pay so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dbdudgh wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@wu wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

I'm sure his tuition+res+expenses cost more than $10000 and 3 jobs(assuming that they're all part-time) can only pay so much.

We obviously need more information on the number of hours he works and the wage. But assuming:

Job 1: 20 hours a week at minimum wage: $205 a week
Job 2: 20 hours a week at minimum wage: $205 a week
job 3: 20 hours a week at minimum wage: $205 a week

= $2460 a month

He could have easily saved $10,000 within 6 months.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LoganGraham LoganGraham
[edited by site moderator]

To the OP:
Student Loans.
Full-time summer jobs working nights part-time.
Scholarships!
Financial need bursaries... explain your situation and your parents' reluctance to pay.
Work co-op.
Financial assistance from the university.
Start a university job before you go there.
Invest your savings in short-term funds (risky)

First thing would be to explain your situation to the university -- they would be able to help the most.
Was this helpful? Yes 0