yconic - Help in Course Selection
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help in Course Selection

A photo of brady23 brady23
Which of the following do you guys recommend?

Choose 1 of 2 (Business Courses)

CIA4U - Economics
IDC4U1 - Financial Securities

Am I right to say that Financial Securities has more presentations, tougher workload, and more group presentations and that Economics is a better pick? I was thinking of Accounting since I got a 96, but it had too much homework and I didn't like it too much.

Choose 1 of 3 (Pure Electives)

FSF4U - French
IDC4U2 - Robotic Engineering
MDM4U - Data

I think French would be the best pick because it seems like the lightest load of the three and I could get a Core French certificate. Robotics interests me the most, but it looks like I won't have space. I was thinking of Data, but you basically get homework in it everyday right? I want an easy 8th course.

What are your suggestions? Please help! Thanks

Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of North North

@brady23 wrote

CIA4U - Economics

Am I right to say that Financial Securities has more presentations, tougher workload, and more group presentations and that Economics is a better pick? I was thinking of Accounting since I got a 96, but it had too much homework and I didn't like it too much.

FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data

I think French would be the best pick because it seems like the lightest load of the three and I could get a Core French certificate. Robotics interests me the most, but it looks like I won't have space. I was thinking of Data, but you basically get homework in it everyday right? I want an easy 8th course.

Personally I would take Economics and Data.

I took economics first semester and missed a ton of class. I left for two weeks on a mission trip to Bolivia. I still got 99% overall. But I have heard that this can vary based on the school. We only had 1 essay which was part of our culminating and a few assignments spread out over the semester, next to no homework. We did have to do 10 current business news article rviews, but honestly they took maybe 30 minutes each, so 10 over the smester isn't that bad.

I think Data is way more useful than any of you r other options. Almost every program in university uses statistics of some kind so it's better to have some basis in it before hand. Also, I find with every math course that you might get homework everyday you don't actually have to do it. Unless your teacher is checking everyday (which is just crazy) then you only need to do as much as you need to to understand a concept. Data is pretty straight forward in concepts as well, most of the statistics/probablity problems canjust be solved with common sense.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm not from Ontario, but from what I see you should take French!
If you're getting a pretty decent mark in French 11 right now, French 12 shouldn't be too hard. A lot of the stuff is the same, just a few more verb tenses and modes that you need to learn.
But if you're doing.. mehh.. in French right now, then don't take it, might be a difficult one. A lot of French 12 assumes that you know your basics, like.. conditionnel, passe compose, imparfait, etcetc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

CIA4U - Economics

FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data

I took economics first semester and missed a ton of class. I left for two weeks on a mission trip to Bolivia. I still got 99% overall. But I have heard that this can vary based on the school. We only had 1 essay which was part of our culminating and a few assignments spread out over the semester, next to no homework. We did have to do 10 current business news article rviews, but honestly they took maybe 30 minutes each, so 10 over the smester isn't that bad.

I think Data is way more useful than any of you r other options. Almost every program in university uses statistics of some kind so it's better to have some basis in it before hand. Also, I find with every math course that you might get homework everyday you don't actually have to do it. Unless your teacher is checking everyday (which is just crazy) then you only need to do as much as you need to to understand a concept. Data is pretty straight forward in concepts as well, most of the statistics/probablity problems canjust be solved with common sense.

Economics seems like a great course to take for knowledge gain and the light workload right? And I was thinking of taking Data in summer school. Thanks for your comments. By chance, did you take any other business courses, and if you have, do you think Economics is a better pick for a business course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
I'm not from Ontario, but from what I see you should take French!
If you're getting a pretty decent mark in French 11 right now, French 12 shouldn't be too hard. A lot of the stuff is the same, just a few more verb tenses and modes that you need to learn.
But if you're doing.. mehh.. in French right now, then don't take it, might be a difficult one. A lot of French 12 assumes that you know your basics, like.. conditionnel, passe compose, imparfait, etcetc.

Yeah, French seems like a great elective. We haven't been doing much in French, except for a quiz that I got 94% in that the teacher said she's not counting because of the low class average lol. :(

I am really leaning towards taking French. Can you rate the workload out of 10, and how much of a step up is it from grade 11?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well it's really hard to say depending on your teacher.
My teachers were very inconsistent.
I had the same teacher in grades 8 to 10..
Then I moved schools and had one teacher for 11 and now a completely different teacher for 12.
I had a LOT of homework in grade 11.. constant textbook readings and worksheets, but it's a lot more laid back now in French 12.
For me personally, I would give the workload a 4-5 out of 10.. but that's just me.
I RARELY spend more than 15 minutes on French homework now, but I've always been a pretty strong French student.
It REALLY depends on the teacher you get and how strict they are with homework as well as your own French ability.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I would take economics.... financial securities would be a good course if you are getting into finance or business, but economics is probably better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

CIA4U - Economics

FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data

Economics seems like a great course to take for knowledge gain and the light workload right? And I was thinking of taking Data in summer school. Thanks for your comments. By chance, did you take any other business courses, and if you have, do you think Economics is a better pick for a business course?

I'm also taking Gr. 12 accounting. From what we've done so far in the semester (1 month) I think I've probably done almost as much work as I did in all of Economics. The stuff in Econ is also really interesting and useful for life. I just found macroeconomics really dry - albeit i missed pretty much the entire unit so I had to learn it myself.....

French might be useful but to get a job that you need french you need to be fully bilingual. I'd shy away from data in summer school - use your summer to have fun or work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
Finance is hard stuff at my school, but that is probably because the teacher, teaching it is very hard
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Well it's really hard to say depending on your teacher.
My teachers were very inconsistent.
I had the same teacher in grades 8 to 10..
Then I moved schools and had one teacher for 11 and now a completely different teacher for 12.
I had a LOT of homework in grade 11.. constant textbook readings and worksheets, but it's a lot more laid back now in French 12.
For me personally, I would give the workload a 4-5 out of 10.. but that's just me.
I RARELY spend more than 15 minutes on French homework now, but I've always been a pretty strong French student.
It REALLY depends on the teacher you get and how strict they are with homework as well as your own French ability.

French is kinda like an english class right? The only thing you can really study is grammar right? You can't study for listening tests or comprehension tests, and you write essays and do presentations. It seems like a light workload and I think if I got a 90 in grade 10 french, I can do grade 12 french, and a core french certificate might mean something. Thanks for your help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
I would take economics.... financial securities would be a good course if you are getting into finance or business, but economics is probably better.

Do you agree that Economics would probably be better because it is easier than Finance? And have you ever taken Economics? If you did, can you give me your thoughts on it (workload, difficulty, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

CIA4U - Economics

FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data

I'm also taking Gr. 12 accounting. From what we've done so far in the semester (1 month) I think I've probably done almost as much work as I did in all of Economics. The stuff in Econ is also really interesting and useful for life. I just found macroeconomics really dry - albeit i missed pretty much the entire unit so I had to learn it myself.....

French might be useful but to get a job that you need french you need to be fully bilingual. I'd shy away from data in summer school - use your summer to have fun or work.

Yes! I was waiting for someone who took multiple business courses :)
What is the easier workload, Accounting or Economics? If you're implying that it is kinda equal, can you tell me which one is more easy and more interesting? I'm leaning towards Economics but I need some input from someone who took both. I just want to take Data for summer school just for the knowledge gain, I don't really need it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
Finance is hard stuff at my school, but that is probably because the teacher, teaching it is very hard

Would you say Economics is easier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

CIA4U - Economics

FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data

What is the easier workload, Accounting or Economics? If you're implying that it is kinda equal, can you tell me which one is more easy and more interesting? I'm leaning towards Economics but I need some input from someone who took both. I just want to take Data for summer school just for the knowledge gain, I don't really need it.

Econ is way easier than accounting. I took econ last semester and did about as much work TOTAL as I have already in accounting.

Economics also has way more use. It is useful for life. Grade 12 accounting is all about corporations so unless you want to go into business/accounting it won't be as big of a help as economics.

In short, take ECONOMICS
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

CIA4U - Economics

FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data

Econ is way easier than accounting. I took econ last semester and did about as much work TOTAL as I have already in accounting.

Economics also has way more use. It is useful for life. Grade 12 accounting is all about corporations so unless you want to go into business/accounting it won't be as big of a help as economics.

In short, take ECONOMICS

lol! thanks for the awesome advice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks to all those that answered! I'm still open to any suggestions and if you have any experiences with these courses please give me your recommendation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I'd suggest Financial Securities + Data Management! :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Take robotics engineering if you have any inclination to do mechanical or mechatronics engineering....just to see if you enjoy working on robots or dealing with the subject matter it could def help choosing next year
Was this helpful? Yes 0