yconic - HELP ME - Political science @ UofT vs McGill vs Queens vs Western!!!!!!!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP ME - Political science @ UofT vs McGill vs Queens vs Western!!!!!!!!!

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
Ok, so I have been accepted to all (except McGill) for Political Science (General arts for first year) but I have NO IDEA where I should go, and which one would be the best for me! I am planning to go to Law School after undergrad, but where should I go?
Here are the universities that I applied to (in no particular order):

1. McGill- Arts Political Science (not accepted :@: )
2. U of T St George - Arts Political Science (accepted)
3. Queens - Arts Political Science (accepted)
4. Western - Arts Political Science (accepted)
5. Waterloo - Arts and Business COOP Political Science (accepted)
6. York - Arts Political Science (accepted)
7. Carleton - Arts COOP Political Science (accepted)
8. Ottawa - Arts COOP Political Science (accepted)
9. McMaster - Arts Political Science (accepted)

I know that is a lot of universities, but I was nervous when I was applying :bounce:

Here are the things I am considering:
- City Life
- School Life/Social Scene
- Academics/courses/professors
- School spirit
- Residence (good or bad? pros and cons?)

PLEASE HELP ME OUT! IM GOING CRAZY! :cyclops:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

Can someone please help me? Give me any insight?

Please and Thanks Forum :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
All those schools sound good.
However, McGill and Queen's stand out for poli sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
McGill and Queen's would be my personal choices as well since, along with U of T (which is a GPA killer), they're the best schools you applied to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I heard good things about Western, both for poli sci and as a school.
How does Western compare to Mcgill and Queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
You probably shouldn't be making so many threads. Just a heads up; they could have been consolidated.

Western is pretty comparable to Queen's in terms of academics and social scene, but neither have the reputation or location of McGill. I'm not really familiar with poli sci programs in particular, so I'm speaking in general.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

haha Yikes, sorry about that. I'm new to this forum, but thanks for the tip.

what I was also wondering, as seen in my other thread, is can i get into Western and/or McGill with an average in the range of 85-87%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
You probably shouldn't be making so many threads. Just a heads up; they could have been consolidated.

Western is pretty comparable to Queen's in terms of academics and social scene, but neither have the reputation or location of McGill. I'm not really familiar with poli sci programs in particular, so I'm speaking in general.

There. I deleted the other unnecessary threads. But please answer my question from above ^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe

@Emaad13 wrote
what I was also wondering, as seen in my other thread, is can i get into Western and/or McGill with an average in the range of 85-87%?

85-87% for McGill is really, really borderline, considering that their cutoff 86.5%. If you are at 87, chances are you'll probably have to wait until May to hear from them.

For Western, the minimum average is 80%, so you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
You'll get into Western for sure, but 50/50 with McGill if you have a 87%.

U of T has the best poli sci program, closely followed by McGill. Then it's Queen's. Western's poli sci program isn't anything that spectacular, although out of the 4 it would be the place to go for the highest marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

hmmm, that's disappointing, I would have liked to gone to McGill
But thanks for all your input everyone!

If anyone has any different opinions, please post your views!

Another Question: Queens or U of T?
- I heard it is really hard to do well in U of T, as everyone says :P but I am a hard worker. Is it worth it? Or should I go to Queens? or maybe Western?

My goal is to go to graduate school/law school, so I want to do well in my undergraduate studies!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

@Emaad13 wrote
- I heard it is really hard to do well in U of T, as everyone says :P but I am a hard worker. Is it worth it? Or should I go to Queens? or maybe Western?

Queen's x1000.

I'm obviously biased, but there's a reason U of T gets such a bad rap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@Zion wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

Queen's x1000.

what is the reason in your view?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@OscarUK wrote

@Zion wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

Queen's x1000.

what is the reason in your view?

The two main reasons I'm not going to U of T are that it's harder to get good marks, so many can't go on to grad/law/med school, and it's a gigantic commuter school that focuses on research, not undergrad, so most of the students are unhappy.

Obviously some stories are exaggerated and there will be those who do well and those are happy, but it still appears to be a minority. I don't want to take the risk.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jumpy Jumpy

@Emaad13 wrote
hmmm, that's disappointing, I would have liked to gone to McGill
But thanks for all your input everyone!

If anyone has any different opinions, please post your views!

My goal is to go to graduate school/law school, so I want to do well in my undergraduate studies!

The only (and I mean this honestly: the ONLY) people who get screwed at UofT are the ones who coasted through high school and took too long to adjust the fact that UofT makes you honestly work. You cannot coast through UofT. It's not a matter of insane grading scales, it's only a matter of hard work. If you're a hard worker, which you claim you are, then you'll be fine.

I know people at UofT who entered with a 95% average, got a C average in first year, and then transferred out. They then go around and tell all their friends that UofT is insanely curved and everyone believes them.

Alternatively, I know people who got in with a mid-80's average and have 3.7-3.9 GPA's. They worked hard for their 80's in high school and they worked hard for their grades in university.

And, of course, I know people who entered UofT with a 95% average and then managed to keep a 4.0GPA. It's not impossible, they just really worked. And they're better off for it, so far as I'm concerned.

It's true that UofT tends to be more research focused, but this isn't necessarily a detriment. They've tried very hard to make the research more accessible to undergraduates. As a result, as a first year undergraduate you can get involved in graduate level research. I know 3 people who, as undergraduates, have been credited on the Vote Compass application on CBC right now. I know a guy writing a book with James Orbinski. These kinds of stories aren't particularly rare. It's not the sort of school that is undergraduate friendly in the sense that it has a massive sports culture or holds huge homecomings. It improves its undergraduate education by making world-class education opportunities and seminars with senior faculty accessible to undergraduates. I'm fine with that. And it's getting better every year.

Mind you, if you're afraid to take risks or if you want to just coast through, UofT probably isn't the place for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckylion luckylion
Jumpy..

Thank you.
Thank you for your well thought out posting here.
We need more posts like yours that are accurate, informative, and positive.
I love it!!

I will have gained more confidence in choosing UTM if I fail to get an offer from the Mac Health Sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank for all your input everyone!

Thanks Jumpy,
Yeah, I am a hard worker, I am in the IB program at my school, so I'm pretty used to coping with a huge and stressful workload and it seems to pay off. Your input helps a lot, and I am seriously considering U of T :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I self-reported for McGill on April 13th and got in April 19th. My average? 86% on the dot. My lowest mark in my top 5 was 71%. Anything's possible. You could get in!

Anyways, I suggest Queen's or McGill for Political Science.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Jumpy Jumpy

@Emaad13 wrote

Thanks Jumpy,
Yeah, I am a hard worker, I am in the IB program at my school, so I'm pretty used to coping with a huge and stressful workload and it seems to pay off. Your input helps a lot, and I am seriously considering U of T :compress:

FYI, literally every single person I know who did IB (I know about a dozen, perhaps) report that IB was harder and more stressful than the work they encountered at UofT. If you worked through IB, you're certainly hard working enough to survive UofT.

Also thanks for the thanks, luckylion!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jumpy wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

Thanks Jumpy,

FYI, literally every single person I know who did IB (I know about a dozen, perhaps) report that IB was harder and more stressful than the work they encountered at UofT. If you worked through IB, you're certainly hard working enough to survive UofT.

WOW, I would never have expected that! :cheers:

oh, and thanks for the thanks for the thanks =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ Prmly,
Usually people say the cutoof is 87 or 88%, so it's nice to hear that somebody got in with a grade similar to mine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jumpy Jumpy

@Emaad13 wrote

@Jumpy wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

Thanks Jumpy,

Yeah, I mean the content is probably more advanced but less difficult, if you know what I mean. The jump from routine high school work to IB is tremendous, as is the stress and workload associated with it. The concepts and "raw" difficulty of the work at UofT, as at all universities, will be greater but you'll have adopted a skill-set through IB that makes the entire process of dealing with it all easier than IB was.

Does that make sense?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jumpy wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

@Jumpy wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

Thanks Jumpy,

Yeah, I mean the content is probably more advanced but less difficult, if you know what I mean. The jump from routine high school work to IB is tremendous, as is the stress and workload associated with it. The concepts and "raw" difficulty of the work at UofT, as at all universities, will be greater but you'll have adopted a skill-set through IB that makes the entire process of dealing with it all easier than IB was.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I just hope I can do well enough to carry a high GPA, because I know people who work their butt off, but still can't get an above average GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0