yconic - Help Me Buy a Phone!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help Me Buy a Phone!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Let me start off by saying that I am clueless about phone plans and terms associated with them so please excuse any silly questions.

I am deciding between either

a) A Blackberry
b) An Iphone

What I must have:
- An economical plan
- Minimal call time
- Texting (I would love BBM)
- The phone itself must look stylish lol

Optional but would be nice:
-The ability to store and play music
-The ability to access the internet and e-mail

Please help me find a phone and plan that is as economical as possible but still meets my requirements!Thanks so so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
LG Rumor. With Virgin Mobile. Get it at walmart. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thereishope thereishope
None of those phones are economical...the cheapest plan you can get within those 2 phones is the $40/plan with the blackberry. Add internet and e-mail, minimum $50. The cheapeset plan you can get with the iPhone is $50.

I would stick with something like the LG rumour as mentioned, even though it's not stylish looking. what's important is that you have a qwerty keyboard. i have a blackberry and it's so expensive i regret even getting it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
The blackberry is good for texting(Nice firm buttons)plus it has bbm. I find the iphone app store has a lot more apps available than the blackberry one, however a lot of apps are only fun for like 5 minutes. Iphone plans(And the phone itself) can also be expensive, while blackberry plans tend to be cheaper. I guess it really depends, if you use your phone to text a lot, than I would recommend a blackberry because they are really good for texting. If you think your going to use a phone for a lot more(video calling , gps) I would recommend an iphone(or an Android even).

Both phones have pretty good internet, and can hold up to a lot of songs. Think of an iphone as an ipod touch with phone capabilities basically.

In terms of style, the only variety in iphones is the model(3g, 3gs, 4) and the colour(Black or white) There are many types of phones that support android(mostly touch screened, some with keyboards.) While there are a lot more types of blackberries. Theres the small blackberry pearl, the all-around blackberry curve, the larger more professional blackberry bold, the new blackberry style, and the touch/keyboard blackberry torch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Deciding between a BB and an iphone? You're original :p

Check out some of the smart phones that your carrier sells. If you can live without BBM, why not consider an Android phone over an Apple phone? Lots of pros and cons you can google, check which is better suited to you. Typically smart phone plans are cheaper than Iphone plans. The telus plan i'm on is $40 a month and covers everything i could possibly need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Why are people using BBM as a reason to get BlackBerry? Isn't there a BBM app for iPhones?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote
Why are people using BBM as a reason to get BlackBerry? Isn't there a BBM app for iPhones?

As an Android fanboy, i am safely saying BBM > ANY COPY-CAT APP.

No other app apple or android can even touch BBM in terms of efficiency, speed, practicality and network. Plus its a canadian invention, and we all know canada > all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
A Blackberry will change your life!
I have the bold with Telus for $45/mth with the social plan which is bbm+fb+twitter+texting+400minutes
but no email/data
Best decision ever,and worth every penny!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@littleroom wrote

LOL

Go with the blackberry no doubt. Gotta support the Canadian boys (especially since RIM is dying). For messaging purposes, it is the best, hands down. BBM will change your life, anyone who mocks BBM clearly doesn't have it, or friends. But get a Bold.

I had an iPhone and I found I was never terribly interested in any of the apps, other then the news, weather, stock quotes etc, which are all very accessible on any phone really. The only thing I miss about the iPhone is the GPS, which you can now get on a blackberry.

Edit: Where do you live? If you are living in Toronto, you can get a great blackberry monthly plan on Wind Mobile or Public mobile, or another emerging phone company. Outside of Toronto though, these carriers are garbage. Telus has a decent plan for $45 a month, which isn't bad. Fido as well has somewhat reasonable plans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks for the suggestions.

So I think I want a blackberry more after reading up on it. So there's nothing cheaper than 30/month? Does anyone know of any prepaid plans where you can buy those cards and money is deducted based on usage?

Oh and I'm going to McMaster next year, so I'll be living in Hamilton.

And can someone explain why the websites of telephone providers are so confusing? I think they're trying to trick you into buying more expensive plans. I get the same feeling when I walk into a store and they don't answer my questions directly/clearly.

And is it possible to buy the Blackberry instrument separately and get a prepaid plan for it?

Sorry if these questions sound silly. As I said I'm pretty clueless when it comes to phones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
Yes, I have a friend how bought an unlocked phone off of a friend and pays $35/mth prepaid from bell
He gets bbm,fb and all that other stuff too, so if you can find one, I think its a wayy better deal
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gatic wrote

And can someone explain why the websites of telephone providers are so confusing? I think they're trying to trick you into buying more expensive plans. I get the same feeling when I walk into a store and they don't answer my questions directly/clearly.

And is it possible to buy the Blackberry instrument separately and get a prepaid plan for it?

Sorry if these questions sound silly. As I said I'm pretty clueless when it comes to phones.

Honestly, you need to be really cunning and deceptive to get a good phone plan LOL. All of the salespersons will screw you over every chance they get. Heres the dilemma: most people at the stores don't know everything about every phone and they can't help you half the time (at least in my experience). Whereas the salespeople on the phone and hotlines are pretty shifty and just want you to subscribe to the most expensive plans.

What you can do however is say that X carrier has Y plan and you want to match that plan on your current carrier or you're going to switch over. If you make a big deal out of it they'll do it.

And yes, you can get Pay-As-You-Go type phones but you have to pay more up front. The way it works is if you get a contract, the cost of the phone is subsidized. So say you get a 3 yr contract, you only pay like $50 for the phone... BUT YOU'RE STUCK WITH IT FOR 3 YEARS. And heres where they get you, to break the contract (because lets say the phone breaks or gets stolen) it's usually about $20/month for all remaining months. Whereas getting something without a contract you'd have to pay $500 for the phone up front.

If you want to buy a phone stand-alone, you have to be careful. Certain phones only work on certain carriers. So if you really like X phone, but you're on Y carrier you need to make sure it will work for that carrier. Research it. If it doesn't work, you're going to have to unlock the phone. Basically you have to enter in a type of code that will open it to all carriers. Usually you can find places in flea markets to do it, it'll cost like $20.

Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@chatmike wrote

And yes, you can get Pay-As-You-Go type phones but you have to pay more up front. The way it works is if you get a contract, the cost of the phone is subsidized. So say you get a 3 yr contract, you only pay like $50 for the phone... BUT YOU'RE STUCK WITH IT FOR 3 YEARS. And heres where they get you, to break the contract (because lets say the phone breaks or gets stolen) it's usually about $20/month for all remaining months. Whereas getting something without a contract you'd have to pay $500 for the phone up front.

They will only charge you cancellation fees if you leave the carrier. You can restructure your plan without paying fees. Entering into a contract does not mean you can't change phones and plans, it means you can't change carriers...

If you are going to Mcmaster, I would seriously consider looking at Wind Mobile. They have a pretty good selections of phones, and you can get great deals if your staying within the Wind Zone, (which includes Mac) http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/pages/storesandcoverage.aspx

You are going to have to call them for the best plan information, and be prepared to stay on the line for 30 min or so. Or go to a store, there are many in the GTA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
Go with Mobilicity multi-month $16.67 unlimited talk/txt. Get the Nokia E71 for $150 which has good reception, good browsing, WiFi and tethering.

PM me, I can suggest a good dealer that will offer free data add-on ($10).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm thinking of switching to Wind when my contract is up. Free calling to any Wind Zone, which is most major cities in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Get Koodo. You don't have to get the data plan either if you don't want for a Blackberry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@StudentAtStPats wrote

That's exactly what I have now and it's awful. Virgin charges too much for their services, and half my calls get dropped. The Rumor also shuts off randomly when I'm in the middle of a text. I can't wait to switch to a Blackberry on Rogers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Zion wrote

@StudentAtStPats wrote

That's exactly what I have now and it's awful. Virgin charges too much for their services, and half my calls get dropped. The Rumor also shuts off randomly when I'm in the middle of a text. I can't wait to switch to a Blackberry on Rogers.

Virgin needs to get laid. They're killing me too :(. Their plans are overpriced.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@Zion wrote

@StudentAtStPats wrote

Virgin needs to get laid. They're killing me too :(. Their plans are overpriced.

Yeah, or Richard Branson. They're terrible. I always enjoy the oxymoron of a Virgin LG though. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@Zion wrote

@StudentAtStPats wrote

True... they JUST raised their text prices up again to 20 cents per text!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of timog timog
I would think that none of those phones are really "economical" but if you would want bbm, then blackberry it must be. The bbm could be the deal maker here. Iphones are to passe in my opinion. I would even prefer an android phone over it. There are a lot of them with more power than an Iphone. To top that, a newer iphone should be coming in a few months so the current ones will be an old generation when that happens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0