yconic - Help me decide
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help me decide

A photo of HeyHiHello HeyHiHello
I have four options: UTSG Life Science, UTSC Neuroscience, UWO Biomed and York Biomed

I want to go to med school later on, which one do you think I should pick?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of LordNerd LordNerd
I would go with UTSG life science or UWO biomed. To me those look like the programs that would prepare you the best.

I like the St. George campus better than the Scarborough camous but that is just me. I don't want to offend anyone but York looks like a sketchy school with the strikes and such.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@LordNerd wrote
I would go with UTSG life science or UWO biomed. To me those look like the programs that would prepare you the best.

I like the St. George campus better than the Scarborough camous but that is just me. I don't want to offend anyone but York looks like a sketchy school with the strikes and such.

+1 on the first comment, check both schools and programs out first and then decide

-1 on the second comment, strikes happen everywhere and was supose to happen at western last year, but it didn't. Also, york has one of the top law schools and business schools in the countru so you can't say that its sketchy...sadly people ignore the main strengths of the school and just look at its weaknesses.

As for york's biomed program, it's similiar to the bio program except it forces you to take harder courses upper years (disadvantage). UTSG is pretty good, alot of comeptition but you can do well (+ bellcurves to back you up). UWO I heard is also pretty good but don't know anyone there so I can't say much about it. Good luck deciding.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I would personally UWO Biomed. Good school and a pretty good program (more reputed than York biomed at least). You don't have to take my word for it, but these are my thoughts.

I should warn you that UT life sci is notorious for annihilating the grades of high school students! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they bell curve a large amount of their marks (and not necessarily to 100), which can make it very difficult to get the GPA you need to be a competitive med school applicant. On the other hand, UT is internationally recognized, unlike the other two universities you mentioned. UT has a long history of good standings, and there are likely a plethora of opportunities for you to get involved with research and the like. At UT, you're always at a risk of not making it to the next year as well. UT in general, is also fairly impersonal of a university and is well known for admitting a large portion of first year students to obtain their admission money! I know I'm painting UT in a bad light, but there are also some VERY good pro's about it.

I can't speak as much for York Biomed, since I'm not very familiar with it but I would doubt its integrity as a program. I wouldn't commonly compare York's program with the others, although I'm sure there are some pro's.

I should also mention that Biomed at UWO makes cuts every year. Out of the 900~ admitted into the first year program, many people will be demoted to general sciences in the second year. If you're performing well in high school, this may not be an issue for you, but you're still at some risk. UWO Biomed has a decent % of churning out professionals (medicine, dentistry, etc), so if that's your goal, the statistic might be an important thing to consider.

Good luck in deciding! Make sure you're satisfied with your choice. Regardless of your decision, I'm confident that you'll grow to love your university and program :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LordNerd LordNerd

@FiresinX wrote
+1 on the first comment, check both schools and programs out first and then decide

-1 on the second comment, strikes happen everywhere and was supose to happen at western last year, but it didn't. Also, york has one of the top law schools and business schools in the countru so you can't say that its sketchy...sadly people ignore the main strengths of the school and just look at its weaknesses.

As for york's biomed program, it's similiar to the bio program except it forces you to take harder courses upper years (disadvantage). UTSG is pretty good, alot of comeptition but you can do well (+ bellcurves to back you up). UWO I heard is also pretty good but don't know anyone there so I can't say much about it. Good luck deciding.

Sorry but York is not as reputed for its science programs as the other schools mentioned are. The fact that it has top law and business schools does nothing if you are there for bio.
Was this helpful? Yes 0