yconic - HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!! UWO MIT/Ivey or McGill Arts!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!! UWO MIT/Ivey or McGill Arts!

A photo of halestorm29 halestorm29
Hey guys, I'm trying to choose between UWO MIT + Ivey and McGill Arts.. For now, I definitely think I'd like a career in Marketing, Public Relations, or anything Communications related. Obviously I want to make a good living as well. Can anyone give me insight into what school I should pick?
McGill Pros:
-Great international rep
-Prestigious school
-Amazing city
-Decent internship opportunities
-Away from family and friends (make new ones)
-Decent extracurricular opportunities
-Get to carve my own path and make new friends

McGill Cons:
-Bachelor of Arts degree will get me nowhere??
-Not as good career opportunities as Ivey
-Still have to do master
-Probably will have to work a sh*tload harder to make it to the top in my field versus an Ivey education

UWO Pros:
-Interesting program (MIT and Ivey)
-Great reputation
-Good party school
-Great extracurricular opportunities
-Awesome career opportunities

UWO Cons:
-Been there, done that (sister goes there, been many times)
-Not really that nice of campus
-London
-Entire high school is going
-Too challenging? (Ivey... or maybe thats my senioritis talking hehe)

My hearts been set on McGill for years and unfortunately I was rejected from McGill Commerce. I accepted the Arts offer but now people have been telling me that UWO is much better for my future. I really want to go someplace where I can love my program and be able party hard and make a lot of memories. I also really want to be able to get great summer internships and a great job after school. Do you guys think McGill would fit my needs?? Help! Need to decide by Thursday!!!!!!!!! Wah
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of MITUWO14 MITUWO14
Hey,

I just finished my first year of MIT at western and I can tell you it was the best decision I ever made. I was also in a similar position, and actually accepted somewhere else and changed my mind at the last minute to UWO (so glad I did)

MIT is such a unique program as opposed to just an arts degree.. If you graduate with MIT you're only one of 175 people in CANADA to do so. That in itself is a huge accomplishment, not to mention how prestigious Ivey looks to employers. I know someone who just graduated from Ivey and was offered a job on wallstreet in NYC before he was even finished.

London itself is a great city - great party life, great bars. and it is a beautiful campus so that shouldn't be on your cons list! Hopefully you make the right decision and choose UWO! Best of luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@halestorm29 wrote

McGill Pros:
-Great international rep
-Prestigious school
-Amazing city
-Decent internship opportunities
-Away from family and friends (make new ones)
-Decent extracurricular opportunities
-Get to carve my own path and make new friends

You should have two less pros for McGill, you repeat yourself twice.

Despite that, I think you should go for McGill because you obviously prefer it. You can always try transferring to Desautels second year. And even if you can't, just get a degree in economics and then get your MBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0