yconic - Help Me Make a Decision!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help Me Make a Decision!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Subjects:

Chemistry: Love the combination of math and memorization
Biology: Find it extremely easy and enjoyable too
Physics: Dislike how hard it is but love the math involved
Calculus, Functions: Love, love, love the math. Comes so easily to me and enjoy it so much as well.
English: Am great at it but DO NOT like writing at all. Hate having to write essays and papers, but likes analyzing things.
Humanities: Hate for the above reason that one must write papers.
Computers: Love it and am good at it.

I don't love memorization but am okay with it. I like math a lot but ofcourse have only been exposed to it at the high school level.

I like working in teams but with people who know as much as me. So far I've been the person that does all the work for the whole team, so I don't like that.I'm somewhat an individual, solitary learner but can work very well in groups. I'm a natural leader, I like taking on responsibility and leading people.

Is engineering right for me?

Any opinions are appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Esnoyt Esnoyt
I'm not sure personally. You say you like math and analyzing problems which is a plus, but in engineering you'll have to communicate, which you said you don't like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Telling someone how much you like high school subjects is not going to give anyone the ability to judge whether engineering is right for you or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I didn't really say I don't like to communicate lol. I just said that writing isn't enjoyable to me. Do you happen to know how much essay/writing is involved in engineering? I would really like to know...

And I'm a HS student so telling you my aptitude and love of HS subjects is the only thing that I can possibly share with you to help me decide. I obviously have an interest for it but I want to know whether my line of interest is what engineering encompasses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I think you should research what engineering is all about... I think I've heard that people who enjoy engineering like solving problems, taking things apart and putting things back together, thinking up solutions to improve the world, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c1 c1

@Gatic wrote
Subjects:

Chemistry: Love the combination of math and memorization
Biology: Find it extremely easy and enjoyable too
Calculus, Functions: Love, love, love the math. Comes so easily to me

Do you think about Bioinformatics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Look at program descriptions and also the content of the courses you would be taking. By doing this you'll realize more about what you want out of a program as well as the options that are available to you.

I think that while specific high school courses may or may not appeal to you is important, the bigger thing is WHY you like/don't like these courses. This is something only you can really determine. Take the time to look into every option available and you'll probably find one that 'feels' right. That is the one you should pick, regardless of what anyone else tells you. If the program is right for you then it is. Nobody can determine that but you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mathemusician mathemusician
You sound a lot like me. From what you have written, it sounds like you prefer to understand concepts and apply what you have learned rather than memorizing facts. I think you would fit in as an engineer since you seem to enjoy depending on the creativity of your brain rather than its capacity. Do you see yourself enjoying lots of health science courses or physical science courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You sound about right for engineering or science in general. If I were you I would zone in on the different fields of engineering and see which one interests you most. Look at the kind of jobs offered and tasks performed daily by each. Since you enjoy chem and bio take a look at chemical eng and mechanical engineering which are two of the broadest engineering disciplines and will not limit you. (both can lead into biomedical eng)
Was this helpful? Yes 0