yconic - Help me make a decision
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help me make a decision

A photo of kudo kudo
Accepted to the following eng. program:

McMaster - Chemical Engineering
Queens - Chemical engineering
Waterloo - Environmental Eng after being rejected from Chemical eng
U of T - Material Engineering after being rejected from Chemical Engineering

I talked to a former U of T engineering professor and he recommends strongly i go to U of T. He said mat. engineering is not that different from chemic eng., which is my favourate. He said l can do both chem and mat. engineering in the upper years. He was not confident about mcmaster and queens. He said given that U of T is number 9 in the world, why go to a non prestigious school. He said graduates U of T have no problem finding jobs as opposed to those from MCMaster and Queens. Folks, l am confused and l need your help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Go to queens. The "prestige" thing is a bunch of bs unless your looking to go to the states. Even then queens is pretty prestigious. The reason i say queens and not mcmaster is because you are guranteed acceptance into chem eng after general first year where as at mcmaster your competing with fellow class mates. Plus personally i like queens better from what ive heard the social life etc is better. The part about queens chem eng finding jobs in comparison to uoft engs is false. I know of someone who works at Exxon (it was one of the oil sands companies) who said specifically that they do not recruit from uoft and they do recruit from queens.

Though materials eng is not that different from chem eng. Why deviate from something you really want to do when in the long run it shouldn't have that much of an effect once you gain PE status. I believe even if you do both chem and mat in upper years im pretty sure you graduate with mat sci on your degree which really isnt what you want.

I dont know the prof you talked to and im not saying i know more then him but maybe he was thinking more towards academia rather then in industry because from my understanding in industry they care more about work experience then where you went to school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@kudo wrote
Accepted to the following eng. program:

McMaster - Chemical Engineering
Queens - Chemical engineering
Waterloo - Environmental Eng after being rejected from Chemical eng
U of T - Material Engineering after being rejected from Chemical Engineering

I talked to a former U of T engineering professor and he recommends strongly i go to U of T. He said mat. engineering is not that different from chemic eng., which is my favourate. He said l can do both chem and mat. engineering in the upper years. He was not confident about mcmaster and queens. He said given that U of T is number 9 in the world, why go to a non prestigious school. He said graduates U of T have no problem finding jobs as opposed to those from MCMaster and Queens. Folks, l am confused and l need your help.

Well of course a U of T professor will tell you to go to U of T..they're biased in that sense. I went to the Windsor engineering open house several months ago and all the professors said "Go to Windsor, Waterloo's overrated, has mean people, and is just not a nice place in general" <-legit.

Do what you want to do. It seems chemical engineering was your first choice, so you should do that. Also have you visited the Universities? Which one did you like the most?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imnik imnik
is it like if u change ur program from material engineering to some other engineering do u have to take some extea courses??
Was this helpful? Yes 0