yconic - Help me out of Montreal,john molson
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help me out of Montreal,john molson

A photo of thanatos1990 thanatos1990
Hi , Im current a first year stundent in concordia john molson business school,major finance. im planing to transfer out of this french city, my average gpa is 80+ with A+ in all econ and math courses but b- in english courses, i have work experience in security company and few almsteed experience which includes like help poor child,etx.could u recommend me few schools which are better than john molson that I may have the chance to transfer to? of course, since im a international student, i really dont want to live and study in a french city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of illuminati illuminati
Ivey HBA: You'll have to wait another year to apply, otherwise it should be your first choice.

Queen's Commerce: Accepts applicants with A- with decent ECs so I think you have a legit shot. Clearly your best first choice though Queen's tuition is quite pricey! Kingston is as least french as you can get in Canada.

Schulich BBA (requires 90+ avg from 1st yr and decent ECs) and Rotman Commerce (3.7 GPA or mid-80s from 1st yr) are two extremely difficult schools to transfer into. Schulich is a great business school for marketing, accounting and corporate finance. However, if you want a career in investment banking like myself then I wouldn't recommend going there. Rotman? I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Tuition is way too expensive, student life from what I heard is borderline depressing, and post-grad placements are worse than Schulich.

Sauder Commerce: Fairly good chance at getting in with your avg, but will depend on your ECs as well. UBC did struggle to bring in recruiters to Vancouver in the past, but that has changed a lot in the recent couple of years. The elite PMF program sent 4 of their 7 grads to NY last yr, the newly formed Capital Markets Mentorship program networks with Goldman Sachs, RBC Capital and a dozen other investment firms, and the Finance Club organizes the most impressive events and is sponsored by all of the major Cdn banks along with Citibank and Morgan Stanley. They also host the annual National Investment Banking Competition. Your second best choice. Also, Vancouver happens to be a great city to live in.

Laurier BBA: Shouldn't be any reason for you to ignore this school. You're very likely get in, and Laurier has a superb co-op program for finance. Usually recruiters first go for students with the dual BBA/BMath degrees, but a sole degree from Laurier in finance is still worthy in the eyes of IB recruiters if you have the marks and the experience. A few BBs recruit at Laurier, including Barclays Capital. Great campus life at Waterloo. Your third best choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thanatos1990 thanatos1990

@illuminati wrote
Ivey HBA: You'll have to wait another year to apply, otherwise it should be your first choice.

Queen's Commerce: Accepts applicants with A- with decent ECs so I think you have a legit shot. Clearly your best first choice though Queen's tuition is quite pricey! Kingston is as least french as you can get in Canada.

Schulich BBA (requires 90+ avg from 1st yr and decent ECs) and Rotman Commerce (3.7 GPA or mid-80s from 1st yr) are two extremely difficult schools to transfer into. Schulich is a great business school for marketing, accounting and corporate finance. However, if you want a career in investment banking like myself then I wouldn't recommend going there. Rotman? I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Tuition is way too expensive, student life from what I heard is borderline depressing, and post-grad placements are worse than Schulich.

Sauder Commerce: Fairly good chance at getting in with your avg, but will depend on your ECs as well. UBC did struggle to bring in recruiters to Vancouver in the past, but that has changed a lot in the recent couple of years. The elite PMF program sent 4 of their 7 grads to NY last yr, the newly formed Capital Markets Mentorship program networks with Goldman Sachs, RBC Capital and a dozen other investment firms, and the Finance Club organizes the most impressive events and is sponsored by all of the major Cdn banks along with Citibank and Morgan Stanley. They also host the annual National Investment Banking Competition. Your second best choice. Also, Vancouver happens to be a great city to live in.

Laurier BBA: Shouldn't be any reason for you to ignore this school. You're very likely get in, and Laurier has a superb co-op program for finance. Usually recruiters first go for students with the dual BBA/BMath degrees, but a sole degree from Laurier in finance is still worthy in the eyes of IB recruiters if you have the marks and the experience. A few BBs recruit at Laurier, including Barclays Capital. Great campus life at Waterloo. Your third best choice.

Thanks for the valuable advice.I think would try Ivey, since I have 1year to improve my gpa and do more ECs. however, the truth is I dont know French, so the opptunities that I can do ECs in Montreal is very few, I wonder If I could do ECs during summer break in my hometown? Do they really contact my Boss? people in my hometown speak neither english nor french, so how they have a check If I really did the ECs.?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati

@thanatos1990 wrote
Thanks for the valuable advice.I think would try Ivey, since I have 1year to improve my gpa and do more ECs. however, the truth is I dont know French, so the opptunities that I can do ECs in Montreal is very few, I wonder If I could do ECs during summer break in my hometown? Do they really contact my Boss? people in my hometown speak neither english nor french, so how they have a check If I really did the ECs.?

No, don't limit yourself to working in Montreal. You can work wherever you want doing whatever you want. Attributes that schools look for in your work experience: 1) initiative, 2) integrity and 3) team player.

I was told from an admissions officer (won't divulge which school) that references are checked for every student that advance into the final round of admissions. I know of students with superb marks that were denied because they couldn't produce good enough references. What they don't do is check the references for applicants that they screen out either because their marks aren't good enough or if they wrote a poor supplementary application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0