yconic - HELP ME PICK? :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP ME PICK? :)

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung
Okay so I know the whole Queens vs. Ivey debate has been pretty much exhausted but I wanted to get opinions based on my situation so if you reply to this I'll love you...alot :)

I visited both campuses, and (i know it sounds lame) but I felt like I fit in at Western more than Queens.
Factoring in everything (the program, the city, the university, etc.) Western would be the better choice for me but I have three main reservations

1. the 2+2 program.
- It makes me feel uneasy that i'll have the constant worry about maintaining my AEO status
- I don't like the idea of having worked my ass of in high school but then not being able to enter the program I want right away
- It seems that 4 years of experience in business is better than 2?
But then at the same time, I think it'd be an advantage to have experience in another subject also.

2. I read somewhere that the degree you actually get from Western is actually is Honours Bachelor of Arts with a Specialization in Business Administration...enough said. LOL
But then I've heard from several employers (i.e. after your first job straight out of Uni which most people get through recruitment) that they rarely ask you about your degrees.

3. I've heard that Ivey is only really good for Finance and IB...any comments?

At the same time, I don't want to go Queens because I honestly really dislike Kingston and I've heard (from graduates) that the off-campus housing is pretty gross there.

And I know I'm going to get hate for this but I'll say it, Queens almost seems more exclusive because it feels like less people got accepted. I know that's totally stupid to say but it's the truth. So yeah... help?

Or should I just go to McGill because it's McGill? :(

I know everyone has conflicting opinions about the subject (and before you comment saying go read the other treads, I have LOL) but I'd love to hear people's opinions on it cause it'd really help me make my choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
i would go to ivey
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
I feel the exact same way as you! Queen's seems more exclusive since they accept less people. But in the end, Ivey's recruiting stats and student satisfaction seems on par with QC.

I'm accepting my Ivey offer tonight I think, I think I'll have a better time in Western despite the 80% crap :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
i would go to ivey

If you don't mind me asking, why though?

@Subtle wrote
I feel the exact same way as you! Queen's seems more exclusive since they accept less people. But in the end, Ivey's recruiting stats and student satisfaction seems on par with QC.

I'm accepting my Ivey offer tonight I think, I think I'll have a better time in Western despite the 80% crap :)

Ahhh, good to know it's not just me!
Maybe I'll be seeing you there next year? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
^ hopefully :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire
I was in the same situation as you, stuck between both of these programs. I ended up choosing Ivey because I feel like UWO is a better fit for me. I know this is a very judgmental thing to say, but even when I visited the Queen's campus, I felt like the general population were sort of elitist. Not to say that there's anything wrong with that, but I just felt that I'll be better off at Western.

At the end of the day, both programs are equally recognized in Canada. You won't be penalized for choosing Ivey over Queen's or vise-versa. Pick the school that you feel you'll develop best at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca
theres one important thing that u forgot to mention. what do you want to study? finance..?accounting..?

keep in mind that Western is a LARGE university; Queen's is medium ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@GoBarca wrote
theres one important thing that u forgot to mention. what do you want to study? finance..?accounting..?

That's part of the problem, I have NO IDEA what I want to study yet.
I've never really considering the size of the university to be a problem...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@foreveryoung wrote

@GoBarca wrote

That's part of the problem, I have NO IDEA what I want to study yet.
I've never really considering the size of the university to be a problem...

well maybe the size of the university/program explains why queens accept less ppl?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
I had the exact decision to make. It was between McGill, Queen's and AEO. I really looked into all of the programs, and within the last few days I had my sig as McGill Class of 2015, Queen's Class of 2015, and now today I've (I think) made my final decision and it is going to be Western. One of the reasons I chose UWO is because I like the student atmosphere, there is some diversity within in the students which I like, especially coming from Toronto. I felt like at Queen's I wouldn't be able to fit into the environment because it isn't very diverse. In terms of diversity, I had to choose between McGill and Western. But then I started looking into which program is better and Ivey was a clear winner there. They have the best recruitment for every field, especially finance the field I would like to go into. I eventually want work in the U.S. as well and they place very well there, and it's just not NY they place at SF and LA (very few but still).

I know that landing a IBD job in the U.S. will be tough, but Ivey will give me the best opportunity. Whereas at McGill unless you're in the HIM program which only selects 10 students, or one of the top 10 students at Desautels, you won't be getting placed in the U.S. If you look at their employment report, their average salary is 46K + 3K signing bonus so 49K, and if I go to Ivey for the same thing my average will range at 62K (salary+bonus). I'm going into finance so perhaps even more, but I'll stay pessimistic. It's inevitable to admit that Ivey will give you more opportunities and if you can put in the hard work and seize those opportunities it will be very worth it. The location was also a huge factor in my decision, because I like to have a good time as well. Montreal is obviously a clear winner here, it's an amazing city. Kingston is alright, but I think there are only 8-9 bars there and in the four years I'll get tired of seeing the same people. London is like right in the middle, it's not too big but not too small, and I think it will be fun! It's like a small city, with a university town theme to it. Kingston, man that place just looked too boring to me.

Also I don't know if you will agree with this or not, but the 2+2 system also has its advantages. Instead of going into business right away, you get to take a breather, adjust into university life and take something of your interest. Adjusting is important for me because I've never lived without my parents even for a week, so the lighter course load will help me figure some stuff out and give me numerous electives which I will enjoy. I know it's kind of hard working your butt of in high school and then only doing Econ/BMOS at Western, trust me it's hard turning down Queen's especially because they offered me even 10K in financial assistance, but I think I will be able to adjust at Western and I can see myself there! Take a look at this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa3.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa4.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa5.jpg

Cheers :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@goldmansachs wrote
I had the exact decision to make. It was between McGill, Queen's and AEO. I really looked into all of the programs, and within the last few days I had my sig as McGill Class of 2015, Queen's Class of 2015, and now today I've (I think) made my final decision and it is going to be Western. One of the reasons I chose UWO is because I like the student atmosphere, there is some diversity within in the students which I like, especially coming from Toronto. I felt like at Queen's I wouldn't be able to fit into the environment because it isn't very diverse. In terms of diversity, I had to choose between McGill and Western. But then I started looking into which program is better and Ivey was a clear winner there. They have the best recruitment for every field, especially finance the field I would like to go into. I eventually want work in the U.S. as well and they place very well there, and it's just not NY they place at SF and LA (very few but still).

I know that landing a IBD job in the U.S. will be tough, but Ivey will give me the best opportunity. Whereas at McGill unless you're in the HIM program which only selects 10 students, or one of the top 10 students at Desautels, you won't be getting placed in the U.S. If you look at their employment report, their average salary is 46K + 3K signing bonus so 49K, and if I go to Ivey for the same thing my average will range at 62K (salary+bonus). I'm going into finance so perhaps even more, but I'll stay pessimistic. It's inevitable to admit that Ivey will give you more opportunities and if you can put in the hard work and seize those opportunities it will be very worth it. The location was also a huge factor in my decision, because I like to have a good time as well. Montreal is obviously a clear winner here, it's an amazing city. Kingston is alright, but I think there are only 8-9 bars there and in the four years I'll get tired of seeing the same people. London is like right in the middle, it's not too big but not too small, and I think it will be fun! It's like a small city, with a university town theme to it. Kingston, man that place just looked too boring to me.

Also I don't know if you will agree with this or not, but the 2+2 system also has its advantages. Instead of going into business right away, you get to take a breather, adjust into university life and take something of your interest. Adjusting is important for me because I've never lived without my parents even for a week, so the lighter course load will help me figure some stuff out and give me numerous electives which I will enjoy. I know it's kind of hard working your butt of in high school and then only doing Econ/BMOS at Western, trust me it's hard turning down Queen's especially because they offered me even 10K in financial assistance, but I think I will be able to adjust at Western and I can see myself there! Take a look at this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa3.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa4.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18155396/ivey/sa5.jpg

Cheers :)

Glad to see you picked Ivey!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
See you there! Looking forward to it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone for all your input, but in the end I decided to go with Queen's.
But I know Western will also be amazing and you guys will love it.
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0