yconic - Help me please... U of T or McGill ? (for life sci)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help me please... U of T or McGill ? (for life sci)

A photo of marky marky
Ok, so I finally got accepted by McGill but now I don't know whether I should go there or go to U of T instead.

What makes me hesistate to go to McGill:

1. As far as I know, NO ONE else from my high school is going there. Most are going to U of T. I'm worried that I'll have trouble fitting in and making new friends because I'm a quiet person.

2. I'm probably one of the LAST people to get accepted into McGill life sci since it's May 19th already. I'm worried that everyone else who's gonna go there are really smart and I'll have trouble catching up to them - meaning less chances of getting into med school later on.

yes I know I sound like a big chicken with a lot of insecurities but this is a very important decision for me. So please give me some advice!! :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
1. The chances that you will actually stay friends with your high school friends in university aren't that high. Maybe it'll be nice(?) to have that sense of familiarity in the beginning, but I'm sure that if you go to McGill you'll be able to make friends even if you are a quiet person. It's a big school, and I'm sure that you'll be able to find your niche.

2. And U of T doesn't have really smart students? At both universities, there will be very smart individuals, but you shouldn't let yourself be too worried about that? While your success in university is somewhat influenced by the people around you, you are the one that is ultimately going to determine how successful you are at university.

Also, just because you brought up med school, if you actually want to go to med school, the whole insecurity about being left behind, or not having as good of a chance to getting into med school, shouldn't exist. People who get accepted into med school are going to be the ones that will do well regardless of where they go to university for their undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of marky marky

@canta93loupe wrote
2. And U of T doesn't have really smart students? At both universities, there will be very smart individuals, but you shouldn't let yourself be too worried about that? While your success in university is somewhat influenced by the people around you, you are the one that is ultimately going to determine how successful you are at university.

Also, just because you brought up med school, if you actually want to go to med school, the whole insecurity about being left behind, or not having as good of a chance to getting into med school, shouldn't exist. People who get accepted into med school are going to be the ones that will do well regardless of where they go to university for their undergrad.

Thanks for your response. I think I just got more confidence from it, haha...
I completely agree with you about how it all comes down to how much effort I'm willing to put into my studies.

I have some other questions for people in university who may either know 1st hand or heard from their friends:

1. How big are the class sizes? How much "weeding" does McGill do during 1st/2nd year, and is it as monstrous as it is at U of T?
2. Is Montreal so different from downtown Toronto that I'd have to make an effort to adapt to it?
3. I checked the OMSAS scale and saw that at McGill, A = 4.0 and at UT, 90%/A+ = 4.0... so does this mean the requirement for a 4.0 at McGill is lower? I don't get this GPA thing

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

please help me with answering these questions if you can.. I'm really frustrated because I can't decide if I should go to UT or McGill. When I wake up in the mornings I make up my mind to go to UT but then by the time I go to bed at night, I start to feel like McGill's better... lol I know it sounds ridiculous but it's really stressful for me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of marky marky
^Wow! That kind of gives me pressure to make the right choice, one that neither of us will end up regretting.

Seeing as how no one can put up with all these concerns that I have, I think I will decide on Thursday since Wednesday night I'm going to attend a McGill Rendezvous thing...

I'm at New College. I originally had Vic but I realized if I lived there, I'd be pretty far from the science buildings so I changed it. What about you?

Trinity was not under my consideration.. it's a prestigious college but I'd die before I started wearing Harry Potter robes at every single dinner.
Was this helpful? Yes 0