yconic - HELP ME PLEASE!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP ME PLEASE!

A photo of marky marky
Someone just choose for me, please. I can't decide..
Btw I want to go to med school, and my dream is to go to one of the best in the US.

McGill Biomed
Pros:
- prestigious program!
- US recognition!
- from what I heard, class averages are higher than U of T..
- also from what I heard, the profs actually care about students & hard work earns you an A

Cons:
- unfamiliar environment
- no scholarship
- family must move there = moving expenses & trouble
- I have to live in residence 1st year and my parents & I doubt if I can be responsible or mature enough to manage myself without my parents around, especially in a new environment too
- all the students are from the top of their high schools, and with my high school average, I'm not among the best students there

U of T Life sci
Pros:
- familiar environment
- scholarship
- convenient for family
- I may not be the cream of the crop there, but with my 93% average, at least I'm in the upper half of the class
- I live at home or by myself in an apartment near the school and my parents will check up on me to make sure I'm on track, also help me out with difficulties

Cons:
- Too many asians (especially chinese ppl who can't speak english but are super good at science and math) ---> very competitive, even though I'm also chinese
- no bragging rights since it's easy to get into this program
- whenever I think I'm going to the same school as my annoying high school classmates who, in my opinion, are slackers!!, I feel really irritated
- not much US recognition?
- rumored GPA killer.. from what I heard, hard work may not earn you an A because of the profs' impossible tests
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@marky wrote
- I have to live in residence 1st year and my parents & I doubt if I can be responsible enough to manage myself without my parents around, especially in a new environment too

This is an easy one. You're going to U of T. End of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@marky wrote
- I have to live in residence 1st year and my parents & I doubt if I can be responsible enough to manage myself without my parents around, especially in a new environment too

This is an easy one. You're going to U of T. End of.

Agreed. I wouldn't think twice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I don't know if someone who's not "responsible enough to manage" themselves should even be going to university, let alone one of the most notoriously difficult programs in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Say No to McGill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marky marky

@Zion wrote
I don't know if someone who's not "responsible enough to manage" themselves should even be going to university, let alone one of the most notoriously difficult programs in Canada.

It's not exactly like I'm a party animal if that is what you are thinking, more like we are just concerned that I'm not mature enough or fluent enough in handling difficulties by myself..
Of course over time this is something that I have to develop but that is a discussion for another time...

Thanks guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Living in residence is SIMPLE. Even living on your own/with roommates is pretty damn easy. I remember when I was younger I feared becoming an adult because I didn't understand how my parents were able to get bills and pay for bills. I thought there was some complex process to getting hydro, cable, phone, internet, gas, etc, etc... Then I learned that you just had to call up those places to ask for them and get a job to pay for those services. That was the day that I became an adult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0