yconic - Help? Need some opinions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help? Need some opinions

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown
Hello!

I was wondering if I could get some opinions over my current situation. I know that I have to make the decision myself, but I think discussing it would help me.

Okay, so the program I want to take in university is Mathematics. I applied to Science at UWO and Queen's, and B.Math at Carleton. I received early acceptance from Carleton and UWO earlier in December/January along with a 12,000 bursary from Carleton, but I am still waiting on Queen's. I know that Carleton is sometimes referred to as 'second-rate', but what would be so much better in a math program at the other school's? I am receiving a B.Math at Carleton if I decide to go there...

Anyway, the main problem is that I adore all three schools, but my financial situation is not good at all. My average is a 90 so I would most likely only receive $ 1,000-2,000 from Queen's/UWO + Bursary. I'm not even sure how much Queen's/UWO could give me! I can't afford a student line of credit so OSAP will have to suffice. Therefore, this is why Carleton seems to be the 'right choice' in a way compared to other two schools, even though I really like them too...

So to sum it up: why is one school's program better than the other and what to do with my financial situation?

Sorry for the long explanation!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Where do you live the closest to?
All those schools are great, but obviously in terms of "rep", Queen's trumps all.
Research the math programs in each university and lean towards the best one. OSAP will help a bit hopefully. Money should, in a perfect world, not be the main reason for choosing a uni even though that will probably happen to me as well...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown

@heesoup wrote
All those schools are great, but obviously in terms of "rep", Queen's trumps all.
Research the math programs in each university and lean towards the best one. OSAP will help a bit hopefully. Money should, in a perfect world, not be the main reason for choosing a uni even though that will probably happen to me as well...

I live in the 'Ottawa Valley' area. I'm about an hour away from Carleton and Queen's, and 6 hours from Western. I have researched their programs and they seem pretty equal. I am a bit confused with Queen's first year though... it would be a science degree and you do general first year. So does that mean I have to take chemistry/bio etc. along with my math? ;/

Congratulations on your acceptances btw :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@JessaBrown wrote

@heesoup wrote

I live in the 'Ottawa Valley' area. I'm about an hour away from Carleton and Queen's, and 6 hours from Western. I have researched their programs and they seem pretty equal. I am a bit confused with Queen's first year though... it would be a science degree and you do general first year. So does that mean I have to take chemistry/bio etc. along with my math? ;/

Congratulations on your acceptances btw :)

Thanks!

And hmm, I guess saving money means looking at places near home usually...
Western's math does not seem too well-known lol.
Plus, as you said, they are so stingy in terms of scholarships compared to other unis. I am thinking this is a battle of Carleton vs. Queen's...But don't completely cross off Western ;) It's ultimately up to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0