yconic - Help please!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help please!

A photo of onionbagel onionbagel
My final top 6 marks for grade 12 are as follows:

International Business: 90
Bio: 85
Adv Functions: 83
Physics: 78
English: 74
Calc: 68

overall average is 80%

The program I will be hoping to go to is science and business at waterloo.
The admission contract on the website says a minamum of 77% in top 6. however the course prequisites state that

Advanced Functions (a final grade of at least 70% is normally required)
Calculus and Vectors (a final grade of at least 70% is normally required)

My calculus mark dropped to 68 from 86 since midterms but only because i had family problems during the final exam. When it says a final grade of at least 70% is normally required does that mean i could still be ok?

Im stressing out as I fear this 2% drop below the "normally required" will cost me the chance of getting in.

Please give me feedback and advice and thank you for listening!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Call the university and explain your predicament. If you had legitimate family problems, and they see that your mark was higher, they might allow you to still get in. You could also try and convince them to allow you to go to summer school and improve your mark if that doesn't work.

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. I can see why you're stressing out. You should do what the above poster shared, and what might better your chances is if you write a formal letter signed by your family to the admissions office, since it would confirm that you are giving them a legitimate excuse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onionbagel onionbagel
Thank you for the responses.

I took your advice and sent a formal email first as the offices were closed for Canada day weekend.

Im hoping that the admissions office will see that my calculus mark did indeed take a nosedive and will understand my situation. Worst comes to worst I guess I should ask one of my parents to call in? I am not in the country as I currently live with my father so taking summer school is out of the question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@onionbagel wrote
Thank you for the responses.

I took your advice and sent a formal email first as the offices were closed for Canada day weekend.

Im hoping that the admissions office will see that my calculus mark did indeed take a nosedive and will understand my situation. Worst comes to worst I guess I should ask one of my parents to call in? I am not in the country as I currently live with my father so taking summer school is out of the question.

Absolutely, get a parent to call in to the admissions office and let the staff know that you are unable to attend summer school, if the need be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
This is university now, getting your parents to call won't have any more weight than you calling yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0