yconic - HELP WITH LAURIER Honors economics!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP WITH LAURIER Honors economics!!

A photo of frostythesnowman2 frostythesnowman2
Can anyone tell me if the program is a good program? Am i better off going to waterloo arts and business econ major than the honors economic at laurier??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of g93 g93
It is a good program. If you are interested in accounting it is fully-accredited by ICAO (one of 10 programs fully-accredited), has a co-op option, fairly high starting salaries and good employment statistics.

I would choose it over ARBUS. It has poor co-op placements and you take a bunch of useless arts courses, or stuff like "the history of business".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks. Is the co-op placement a guarantee for honors economics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@frostythesnowman2 wrote
thanks. Is the co-op placement a guarantee for honors economics?

No.

No program is guaranteed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i see, thank you very much for your response. Do you know of any website or statistics about the percentage of the people that get into co-op in the program?? I've been looking at CUDO and eINFO but no results
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@frostythesnowman2 wrote
i see, thank you very much for your response. Do you know of any website or statistics about the percentage of the people that get into co-op in the program?? I've been looking at CUDO and eINFO but no results

http://www.lauriercc.ca/content/documents/Link/First%20Year%20Session%20SBE%202011%20New%20Template%20for%20web.pdf

BBA and BA Econ combined.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thank you for the ppt. So BBA and Honors economics students compete for the same co-op placements?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@frostythesnowman2 wrote
thank you for the ppt. So BBA and Honors economics students compete for the same co-op placements?

Yes i believe so
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So, if you guys compare UTSC management pre program and the Honors economics, which one would be better? If I don't get co op for the Honors, what would i get?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And is it possible to transfer from laurier BA economics to BBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@frostythesnowman2 wrote
And is it possible to transfer from laurier BA economics to BBA?

Yes.

Laurier Honours Ec > UTSC Pre-program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not that i don't trust your opinion, it's just that how definite am i to transfer from BA to BBA, i know for a fact that at UTSC, if you get 3.3 GPA or higher you get into the management BBA program. However, Laurier offers the spaces only if there are spaces left from year 1 BBA students AND they do not state a definitely GPA minimum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@frostythesnowman2 wrote
Not that i don't trust your opinion, it's just that how definite am i to transfer from BA to BBA, i know for a fact that at UTSC, if you get 3.3 GPA or higher you get into the management BBA program. However, Laurier offers the spaces only if there are spaces left from year 1 BBA students AND they do not state a definitely GPA minimum.

From what I have been told, UTSC pre-program just sucks money from people. it gives them the false hope of getting into UTSC but most don't. Sure some will, but if you don't your SOL. If you go to Laurier, you can try to transfer to BBA, UTSC, or another school if you want. Being in Laurier honours Economics isn't that bad, either, it's a decent program (as long as you're good with economics/math).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would need to call laurier to ask about the requirements to transfer from BA to BBA. thank you for your help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier

@g93 wrote
It is a good program. If you are interested in accounting it is fully-accredited by ICAO (one of 10 programs fully-accredited), has a co-op option, fairly high starting salaries and good employment statistics.

I would choose it over ARBUS. It has poor co-op placements and you take a bunch of useless arts courses, or stuff like "the history of business".

whered you find the information in regards to their starting salary and employment statistics from? you mind sending the link?
Was this helpful? Yes 0