yconic - Help with procrastination?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help with procrastination?

A photo of kelso547 kelso547
I'm a terribe procrastinator, and I've recently learned that I'm a 'crisis-maker' procrastinator meaning I only get motivated last minute, The thing is I'm sick of being a procrastinator, it's causing me not to be as successful as I could be in highschool, but I just can't stop! I've heard that procrastination wasn't so much a habit but a deeper pyschologocal need, what do you suggest to get me working back on track?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Daria1994 Daria1994
I'm the same. The hardest part is to BEGIN.

Just start by telling yourself: I'm going to do five minutes straight of homework. Close the laptop, hide your cell phone and any noises it might make, and try to focus on the task for five minutes.

You'll find it will be so much easier once you've started, because you sort of just get into it.

Make a to do list.!!! Check things off. It's honestly the biggest relief to cross something off that list. Good luck.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RheyDCD11 RheyDCD11
haha hello fellow procrastinator xD

just procrstinated this morning anywayz i agree hardest part is actually beginning

wat i find helps is to actually plan on where ur studying...some ppl prefer the library other prefer at home...w.e. works ...where u work really affects how u feel whether u feel like working or not (aka...distractions do not help for most)
and creating "rewards" for doing some part of hwk like i will be able to watch my favourite show if i do my math or something

best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@RheyDCD11 wrote

just procrstinated this morning anywayz i agree hardest part is actually beginning

wat i find helps is to actually plan on where ur studying...some ppl prefer the library other prefer at home...w.e. works ...where u work really affects how u feel whether u feel like working or not (aka...distractions do not help for most)
and creating "rewards" for doing some part of hwk like i will be able to watch my favourite show if i do my math or something

best of luck!

oookay there, buddy. Creating rewards is the biggest mistake. You will most likely engage in that 'fun' activity for a longer period of time. Definitely not what the op should be doing.

What i find works for me is doing the homework at school and in class. Dont waste time chit chatting in class, get your work done. And usually whatever is leftover, i do it as soon as i get home. After dinner, i usually find that im unable to focus and do any work so i usually do it beforehand. And, if u do take breaks dont go on youtube, or watch tv, or eat (unless its healthy), or text, or play video games....research careers, go on forums, and get motivated. lol
cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SkylarNoeL SkylarNoeL
I was about to post how I deal with procrastination, but I decided I'd do it later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daria1994 wrote
I'm the same. The hardest part is to BEGIN.

Just start by telling yourself: I'm going to do five minutes straight of homework. Close the laptop, hide your cell phone and any noises it might make, and try to focus on the task for five minutes.

You'll find it will be so much easier once you've started, because you sort of just get into it.

Make a to do list.!!! Check things off. It's honestly the biggest relief to cross something off that list. Good luck.

Very true, the hardest part is to begin! I just keep thinking oh I still have lots of time, but then I never get it done! and thanks for your ideas(:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@RheyDCD11 wrote

best of luck!

Thanks, and yeah, good idea once again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bcd92 wrote

@RheyDCD11 wrote

best of luck!

oookay there, buddy. Creating rewards is the biggest mistake. You will most likely engage in that 'fun' activity for a longer period of time. Definitely not what the op should be doing.

What i find works for me is doing the homework at school and in class. Dont waste time chit chatting in class, get your work done. And usually whatever is leftover, i do it as soon as i get home. After dinner, i usually find that im unable to focus and do any work so i usually do it beforehand. And, if u do take breaks dont go on youtube, or watch tv, or eat (unless its healthy), or text, or play video games....research careers, go on forums, and get motivated. lol
cheers.

I'm not a talker in class and I try but my teachers give out actual homework and assignments we aren't allowed to do in class and yeah, I'm not able to do homework after diner either and that's a good idea(: thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SkylarNoeL wrote
I was about to post how I deal with procrastination, but I decided I'd do it later.

Hahah, pretty good reply;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@SkylarNoeL wrote

I see what you did there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@brady23 wrote

@SkylarNoeL wrote

I see what you did there.

yup, i got that too. ;p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RheyDCD11 RheyDCD11

@bcd92 wrote

@RheyDCD11 wrote

best of luck!

cheers.

lol doesn't work for everyone xD but ur right bout tht xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0