yconic - Help with Supplemental Application
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help with Supplemental Application

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Now, in the EC descriptions, I plan to write about HOW that activity helped me. For example, Mcdonalds has taught me the importance of time management, teamwork, and the ability to work under high pressure, which are all essentials in the business world. Is this a good way to word it, or should I write more about the details of the activity rather than all the job skill stuff? Problem is if I do this for every activity they'll all have very similar wording.

Should I work on filling ALL the available spaces for ECs?

Now for the essays.
1) What makes you a good business student
Should I be talking about my STUDENT qualities (e.g. I manage my time well, I have a very strong work ethic, etc..), or do they want a picture of the ideal business person? (e.g. Both socially and ethically responsible, using business to help out the world, etc.)
2) Describe an ethical dilemma, what you did, and the result
Any tips for this one would be nice.. I'm thinking of writing an essay-like thing where I acknowledge the opposition and explain my reasoning, and take a business perspective.

Lastly, who should I use as my references? UBC calls them. They're requesting that one of them MUST be a school official, but I'm in College so it's very unlikely I'll suddenly be tight with the counselor or anything along those lines in the next 2 months. I wasn't on very good terms with my high school staff either, except for a principal.

Thanks if anyone can help me!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

Cmon
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
In my opinion, your two years job experience illustrates a lot about you. I think it will blow their mind. Universities generally tend to like work experiences since it shows that a particular student has been involved in something very important and in dong so, illustrates involvement and responsibility.

For you to fill up spaces, well, if you have done more stuff, why not? Go ahead and fill it up. If you haven't done more than you already put down, then you can't do anything about it. I don't think it will matter since your work experience itself will blow their mind I say. It's a pretty big achievement to work and take responsibility on shoulder while, as well, focusing on academics, so yeah.

For essay question, I don't think there is a right or a wrong answer, so do what seems to be the most efficient way to go for yourself.

Lol, I am in the same dilemma as you for references.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smarty1 wrote
In my opinion, your two years job experience illustrates a lot about you. I think it will blow their mind. Universities generally tend to like work experiences since it shows that a particular student has been involved in something very important and in dong so, illustrates involvement and responsibility.

For you to fill up spaces, well, if you have done more stuff, why not? Go ahead and fill it up. If you haven't done more than you already put down, then you can't do anything about it. I don't think it will matter since your work experience itself will blow their mind I say. It's a pretty big achievement to work and take responsibility on shoulder while, as well, focusing on academics, so yeah.

For essay question, I don't think there is a right or a wrong answer, so do what seems to be the most efficient way to go for yourself.

Lol, I am in the same dilemma as you for references.

Thanks for your response.

I meant whether UBC will find it unattractive to see the spaces left empty because I may only have about 7-8 activities to list instead of the complete 10.

From what I've read on here about references, they seem to have the purpose of verifying the information I've provided them. Mcdonalds goes through a lot of different managers/workers though... so I'm not able to get anyone there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

89 reads and 1 reply.. wtf?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

...bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joannalailai joannalailai
Hi there, I think your supplemental is pretty good so far. Maybe you should try volunteering more and it doesn't necessarily have to be at different places because universities look for commitment as well! As for references, I'm not really close to any school officials either, so maybe you should put your other references as people who actually know you well and hope for the best! I'm hoping to apply for commerce this year and I'm quite stressed about it as well. But hey, as long as you told them everything about you, all you have to do is wait and see! :) Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the reply

Bump :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

boop
Was this helpful? Yes 0

fat nom is good for you
Was this helpful? Yes 0