yconic - HELP with this vectors problem!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP with this vectors problem!

A photo of merm123 merm123
How do you find distance of a line when you know a point it passes through, the direction angles and you also know a plane it passes through?
Like let's just say it passes through A(1,0,1) and has direction vectors of alpha = 36.87°, β = 84.26,°γ = 53.7° and we know it intersects the plane 3x + y + 5z = 15 at point B. How would I find the distance of AB?

no need to do the question, just help on how to do it would be nice :) thanks guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@merm123 wrote
How do you find distance of a line when you know a point it passes through, the direction angles and you also know a plane it passes through?
Like let's just say it passes through A(1,0,1) and has direction vectors of alpha = 36.87°, β = 84.26,°γ = 53.7° and we know it intersects the plane 3x + y + 5z = 15 at point B. How would I find the distance of AB?

no need to do the question, just help on how to do it would be nice :) thanks guys.

just use picaso's law of theorems and apply it to your vector quantity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@arcchit wrote

@merm123 wrote

just use picaso's law of theorems and apply it to your vector quantity.

? I don't know what that is..thanks anyhow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Don't listen to arcchit, he is going around acting stupid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of plato plato

@merm123 wrote

I'm not sure I am reading your question correctly... as it's not clear what those direction vectors apply to. Nonetheless, I can point you in the right direction.

To find the distance between point A and the plane (|AB|), start off by finding the parametric equation of a line perpendicular (normal) to the plane. (Hint: cross product of two direction vectors on the plane)

There are two methods to solve from that point.

1. Solve for the intersection B by substituting the components of the parametric equation of the line into the scalar equation of the plane. Once you find the intersection, you can calculate |AB|.

2. Choose any point on the plane P. The projection of PA onto the normal to the plane is is AH, and the magnitude of AH is the distance from point A to the plane. Use |AH|=proj_n (PA)

Hope this helps.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plato wrote

@merm123 wrote

I'm not sure I am reading your question correctly... as it's not clear what those direction vectors apply to. Nonetheless, I can point you in the right direction.

To find the distance between point A and the plane (|AB|), start off by finding the parametric equation of a line perpendicular (normal) to the plane. (Hint: cross product of two direction vectors on the plane)

There are two methods to solve from that point.

1. Solve for the intersection B by substituting the components of the parametric equation of the line into the scalar equation of the plane. Once you find the intersection, you can calculate |AB|.

2. Choose any point on the plane P. The projection of PA onto the normal to the plane is is AH, and the magnitude of AH is the distance from point A to the plane. Use |AH|=proj_n (PA)

Hope this helps.

I figured it out finally, but thanks anyways! :)

Basically, the direction angles lead you to the direction vector. To find the direction vector you use the equation cos β = b / sqrt of a^2+b^2+c^2 with (a,b,c) being the direction vector. To find the direction vector, you sub sqrt of a^2+b^2+c^2 as any magnitude as direction vector is a scalar quantity and can be many values. So I used magnitude as 10 and I found a,b,c with that (got messy numbers haha). Then I used the parametric equations with the plane and point A for point B and solved for the magnitude of AB, exactly what you said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
No problem, glad you figured it out on your own :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0