yconic - HELP.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP.

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
Hello!

I'm a gr 12 Albertan student with a high 80s- low 90s avg.
I need help deciding as to which university I want to go to!
I've researched a lot but I can never come to a conclusion.
I want to go into science, can anyone please tell me the best science universities in Canada? Please! Specifically, I want to go into bio related sciences.

I really need help deciding and I haven't been able to find out which unis would be best for science. Please help!!

Also, I have done and am doing a lot of extra curriculars as well.

I've asked this earlier, but just to specify, I'm looking for CANADIAN university ranks/feedback.

Thanks guys. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Schools out east are pretty good for life sciences.
U of T and McGill are two of the top notch ones..
McMaster isn't bad if you go into Health Sciences (but I don't think your average would be high enough, maybe Life Sciences)..
and like how I've repeated quite a few times.. come one province over to UBC, our Life Sciences program is pretty good too. ;) There's tons of kids here from Alberta!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi

@cyynthiia wrote
Schools out east are pretty good for life sciences.
U of T and McGill are two of the top notch ones..
McMaster isn't bad if you go into Health Sciences (but I don't think your average would be high enough, maybe Life Sciences)..
and like how I've repeated quite a few times.. come one province over to UBC, our Life Sciences program is pretty good too. ;) There's tons of kids here from Alberta!

Thanks!
So at the end of this semester, I will have an 88-90 avg. Do you think that's good enough for UT?
You said that my average might not be good enough for McMaster HS, but can I hope to get into Life Sci?

And one last thing, when applying for university, do they only look at your grade 12 courses? Even if you have gr 11 courses in the same semester?
For example, I have calculus (Math 31), Bio20IB, and Social 30.
I don't want to "hand in" my Social 30 mark for uni (because I don't enjoy social and don't do the best in it), and I'm only at a low 80 for Bio20IB right now. So, would I be penalized for that? Or will they only look at my Calculus mark (because it's one of the courses they require/STRONGLY recommend)?

Thanks. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Yeah 88-90 is definitely high enough for UT Life Sci.. I got in with an average around that.
I'm not too sure about LS at Mac, though. Although it's not as competitive as HS, it's still pretty competitive. I would think low 90's may suffice.

To answer the last question, they only calculate your admission average using the grade 12 courses that you report, but I'm pretty sure they will also ask for any and all grade 11 courses you took/are taking to make sure you completed them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0