yconic - Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help!

A photo of HeyBudd HeyBudd
Hey guys !

I just want to clear something ... Is it possible for a person to complete a degree for ex: in Arts, Political Science,Humanities, and minor in Accounting and fulfill there CA requirements? As I know that a person should have strong communication skills in the business area so an arts degree would help.. What do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
Not really. There's 51 credit hours that you must complete in order to meet the experience requirement for the CA designation. I think it's 14 or 16 courses (which is quite a few). You likely won't be able to fit all of these in an arts degree, and on top of that many schools restrict these courses to business/accounting majors, and there's often many prereqs for them and stuff.

You could complete an arts degree and get as many hours as possible, then attend one of the programs that offers the courses you do need either from first year or just as a part-time/mature student or w/e they may call it (likely the former). But I don't see the point in that.

Most business programs have a strong focus on building your soft skills and getting you talking with recruiters and presenting your ideas in class with the case study method or competing in case competitions. You can also always take arts courses with your electives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeyBudd HeyBudd
Yes I totally agree with you. I was looking at York university professional certificate program, and it says you can have any degree and as long you have a certficiate to have the required courses to become a CA, CMA, CGA and that it won't matter. Is it better to do degree in business overall ? because i see no difference as long as you have the required courses for CA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@HeyBudd wrote
Yes I totally agree with you. I was looking at York university professional certificate program, and it says you can have any degree and as long you have a certficiate to have the required courses to become a CA, CMA, CGA and that it won't matter. Is it better to do degree in business overall ? because i see no difference as long as you have the required courses for CA

Being in a business program offers a few advantages. A lot of the programs have the required content built in so you can get through it very quickly (4-5 years and you're done). They also provide you with a good foundation in business (which is what accounting accounts for, business). They also have great recruitment (e.g. co-op with large numbers of students getting recruited by the Big 4, and almost everyone getting jobs, large companies recruiting, etc.). And one last thing is that the top programs usually have add-ins like professional development sessions and stuff, and they are closely related to case competitions and other things, and usually closely related to the business and investment clubs and stuff like that. All advantages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0