yconic - HELP!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP!

A photo of mer1616 mer1616
I can't decide if I should go to Vancouver Island University, or Simon Fraser... Help! I am applying for a BA in psychology at both.. but I can't decide where to go..
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of prmly prmly
Neither.

UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@prmly wrote
Neither.

UBC.

+1
UBC Arts isn't too difficult to get into actually. One of the easier faculties.

Of the two, I would probably pick SFU over UVic, though.
SFU has a pretty good Arts program too, although they are more knwon for business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@cyynthiia wrote

@prmly wrote
Neither.

UBC.

+1

SFU has a pretty good Arts program too, although they are more knwon for business.

She's not talking about UVic; she's talking about VIU.

With the risk of sounding like a pretentious dick, VIU is extremely low in caliber. I mean, it's one of those schools no one's heard of and assume it's not credited. Even though I don't like SFU, it would be a much much much better choice to go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@cyynthiia wrote

@prmly wrote
Neither.

UBC.

+1

I heard that the UBC Arts program got waaay more competitive now...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
UBCV > SFU > UBCO > UVIC > any other school in BC

/end thread
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firmament104 firmament104
Vancouver Islander to the rescue.
VIU isn't a bad school for the first year. Seriously, it's not. It IS accredited. It's just been VIU for a couple of years. It was formerly Malaspina College. Even though not a lot of people have heard of it, it will still give you a quality education and it's cheaper if you'll be living at home to go there. It's a small university, so small class sizes are there. Its jazz program is one of the best on the Island.
I wouldn't spend your whole educational time there though. You can do year one there and then transfer to a more well-known school if you want.

SFU is well known for a reason. The only thing that I don't like about it is the campus, but if you can tough it out it's a great school. Where do you live? Mainland: UBC or SFU. Don't travel from the mainland to VIU.
Island: UVic is a good choice, but don't think VIU is a bad one.

Word to the wise: make SURE you check out transfer credits if you choose to go from VIU to another school. I know UVic only gives a fraction of the credits for VIU courses, but UBC gives full credits on most courses.

Check out the websites for sure.
I'd look through the programs and decide which one looks more appealing from there. Maybe talk to some reps from the programs.

Have you thought of UBC or UVic?

Was this helpful? Yes 0