yconic - HELP!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

HELP!

A photo of jaciey jaciey
Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the scholarships and Busary

1. What are the difference between them?
2. Are they both based on your average?
3. Do I have to volunteer? If yes, for how long?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of experiencer experiencer
1) While bursaries ALWAYS look for your financial need, only some scholarships have that as a criteria.
2) Marks are important when applying for scholarships (such as entrance scholarships that only look at marks). But is important to participate in extracurricular activities, volunteer, and show leadership as well. Many major scholarships look for that, and less prestigious ones too. Bursaries on the other hand, also takes marks into consideration, but they are less competitive. Again, bursaries = NEED OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. Some bursaries look for EC's and volunteer work as well.
3) Refer to above. How long? I'd recommend that you get to know your volunteer organization so that they will be able to write you good reference letters. Try taking a leadership role and initiate projects as well.
*Whatever you do, make sure you genuinely like it! Don't just do it for the awards!

If you try Googling about scholarships and bursaries, you can get more information. Websites of universities also explain this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Majjfacee Majjfacee

@experiencer wrote
1) While bursaries ALWAYS look for your financial need, only some scholarships have that as a criteria.
2) Marks are important when applying for scholarships (such as entrance scholarships that only look at marks). But is important to participate in extracurricular activities, volunteer, and show leadership as well. Many major scholarships look for that, and less prestigious ones too. Bursaries on the other hand, also takes marks into consideration, but they are less competitive. Again, bursaries = NEED OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. Some bursaries look for EC's and volunteer work as well.
3) Refer to above. How long? I'd recommend that you get to know your volunteer organization so that they will be able to write you good reference letters. Try taking a leadership role and initiate projects as well.
*Whatever you do, make sure you genuinely like it! Don't just do it for the awards!

If you try Googling about scholarships and bursaries, you can get more information. Websites of universities also explain this.

I agree with experiencer about everything. For your third question, if you are currently enrolled in school, you could check with your school to see if they have a course that encourages volunteering as part of the curriculum. I know that with my school the teacher always tells us of various volunteer opportunities which makes it easy to find out where to volunteer. Also doing it through the school you earn credits while earning a chance to win scholarships as well!:colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0