yconic - Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a question of admission
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a question of admission

A photo of Wonpuapan Wonpuapan
i applied to UofT on December2011, but i forget to post subject of major interest. i just added it on April 17.(i didnt change the program, i just added a subject of major interest.) but some of my friends said that late application will affect my admission, because your appliction will be listed in the end. if the space if full, you will not be admitted. i am wondering if it is right?

Thank you for any response.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
If it's for social sciences or arts it won't affect your application because first year is very general and you don't specialize until starting 2nd year. Therefore, changing or choosing the subject of interest wont really do anything to your application since your not changing faculty, rather indicating your interest(indicating your interest really doesn't mean much until after first year.). Simplest terms, all you did was tell them what you're interested in, and you're application is still in the same place as you did not change the FACULTY of interest (i.e Arts to Business Commerce.) you wish to study.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wonpuapan Wonpuapan

@PeoplesChamp wrote
If it's for social sciences or arts it won't affect your application because first year is very general and you don't specialize until starting 2nd year. Therefore, changing or choosing the subject of interest wont really do anything to your application since your not changing faculty, rather indicating your interest(indicating your interest really doesn't mean much until after first year.). Simplest terms, all you did was tell them what you're interested in, and you're application is still in the same place as you did not change the FACULTY of interest (i.e Arts to Business Commerce.) you wish to study.

Cheers.

yeap. but i am wondering AO officer said that if u choose economics for the subject of interest, they will look at your calculus particularly. but my calculus is not good enoug. this is what i am confused :(how do they know applicant choose economics and look at their calculus particularly?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
Ok then, what you can do is switch your application to something else in social science. Let's say apply to American Studies or something other than Economics that doesn't require calculus. If they accept you for social science it will be for general 1st year social science and they won't count you're calculus because it is not required. Then when 1st year rolls around and your making you're course selections sign up for all the economic courses and declare an economic major after first year since your major is not declared until after first year at UT and you start off as a general social science student. This is what a friend of mine is doing for economics at UT, and it was cleared by the AO, speak to them about this option. Basically calculus is a pre-requisite for the economic courses hence it is required and will be looked at. However, if you switch subject of interest to something that does not require calculus, you will be admitted to general first year social science without calculus being a factor. From then on since you took calculus you may sign up for the economic courses since you have the pre-requisite of calculus, and as aforementioned before since all social science students don't declare majors until the end of first year you'll be fine. Through this you are essentially by-passing the calculus factor in your problem through changing the subject of interest to something else to get admitted into general social science without calculus being a factor, then majoring in economics instead of whatever you chose since you'll already have the calculus pre-req to take the necessary economic courses for that degree. All you're doing is negating the attention on your calculus mark. You should probably clear this with an AO first just to make sure.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0