yconic - High School Class of 2018 Offers of Admission
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

High School Class of 2018 Offers of Admission

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Now that school's back in full force and university applications are open, I thought I'd make this application thread so that people can see when people get accepted, where they applied, their averages, etc.

In your post, please include the following:
- Program and post-secondary institution
- Date of application
- Date of offer
- Admission average (Grade 11, Grade 12 first semester- basically whatever was used in determining admission qualifications)
- Province you're applying from
- Any other information you'd like to add

Good luck everyone!!
Was this helpful? Yes 8
431 replies

Program: Ryerson Mainsite Nursing
Applied: November 27
Accepted: December 20
Grade 11 Average: 92%, completed three 4U courses (world issues, adv functions, earth and space science) last year as well
Applied from: Ontario
This is my backup choice, good luck to everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Congrats! Can I ask what your first choice is?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

My first choice is mcmaster nursing, western mainsite, western fanshawe, then ryerson :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Program: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Biology @ Ryerson University
Applied: December 12
Accepted: December 21
Grade 11 Average: 87 (inc. Grade 12 English which I fast-tracked)
Applying from: Ontario

Also applied to Guelph for Biology and Molecular Bio/Genetics major at the same time but haven't heard back, and applied for Bio for UofT and Western today! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Accepted to Chemistry @
-Waterloo with COOP (first choice) on Dec 19
-Guelph on Dec 12
-York (safe school) on Dec 15
-Ryerson (safe school) on Dec 1
All my choices, yay! :D

I had a grade 11 average of 91%. Posting my grade 12 average is pointless as the universities didn't even have access to it. I applied from Ontario as a 101 applicant on November 26th? I don't remember the correct date. And before anyone comments saying coop is useless for a BSc (since people have told me that), it is a way for me to build my resume and get some experience, even if it is unpaid volunteer work. Still, something that will benefit me. I did not apply to McMaster, U of T or McGill which I know are great schools for science because I was not a fan of their campus and I didn't feel at home. Besides, I plan on attending Waterloo's school of pharmacy in the future, and having my BSc from Waterloo will be a great foundation. Good luck to all other applicants! If you are curious about the conditional offers that I have received for any of these universities, please don't hesitate to ask. This forum is a great way to ease nerves about the status of your application, and where you may stand in terms of acceptance. Have a great holiday everyone! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congrats!
Just a few questions,
If you fail to go to pharmacy school, what do you plan to do with a chemistry degree?
Are you ready for a tough program like chemistry?

(nothing personal, its just that I'm in about the same position as you :) Happy holidays to you too!)

Was this helpful? Yes 2

If I do fail to enter pharamcy, there are plenty of jobs in Ontario alone that require just a undergrad. Such as lab technicians or quality control workers. Academia is always an option with almost any degree.  People fail to realize there is a purpose for every degree, and jobs are in demand outside of Ontario. I know I can excel in Chemistry. I spend hours stidying, I tutorwithin and out of school for science. Any program is tough. Some require more logical skills, and others more hands on. I spent months if not years trying to figure out what to do with chemistry. It helps to job shadow. There is a program initiative in Ontario that was created and one of its perks are being able to job shadow. I jobshadowed a quality control worker and it was pretty cool. So I understand your concern, but just know with some research and experience you may find a just that you’ve never heard of before. This site is a good way to see potential opportunities https://www.academicinvest.com/science-careers/chemistry-careers

Talk to your science/chem teachers as well. Ask them why they chose academia? I found out my teacher was accepted to U of T’s pharamcy but was in severe financial issues after a court case and lost the opportunity. Good luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Brock U 
- honours dramatic arts & co-op
- 89% grade 11 average  
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Accounting and Finance, Ryerson University
-  November 28,  2017
-  December 22, 2017
- Admission average: Final Top Six Average of 88%
- Ontario
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Computer Science Ryerson
Applied: December 5th or 6th
Accepted: December 28th
Grade 11 average: 85.6% (Top 6 = 89.69%)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

-Biochemistry and Chemistry (Biological/Pharmaceutical stream) @ York Univeresity -Applied on November 30th
 -Recieved offers on December 21st
-Applying from Ontario
- Grade 11 accumalated average is 93%
-Current Grade 12 marks:
                                               English-  87%
                                               Advanced Functions-  93%
                                               Chemistry-  97%
                                               Physics-  97%

Was this helpful? Yes 0

How do you have a higher physics mark than advanced functions??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

-Atmospheric Science (towards certificate in meteorology); York University
-  Applied December 15 
- received email for  acknowledgement of application on December 19 and received offer of admission on December 21 
- Grade 11 top six average: 94 ( Took advanced functions last year  and got 96 and English in the summer and got 90 )
-Current grade 12 marks:
Chemistry-99
-Physics- 97
- mathematics of data management -93
- my alternative career path is meteorology as I have always been interested in it ,  however I would rather become an engineer.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anyone got accepted into either UBC science, Queen's Con Ed Science, or UofAlberta Con Ed Science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

UBC doesn't give out admissions until early-mid January. We just have to wait and hope for the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi! I got accepted in Queen's Con Ed Sci on Dec. 14! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did anyone receive offers from McGill?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you're applying from Ontario, McGill doesn't start looking at grades from OUAC until early march. Other provinces I'm sure are the same. McGill's acceptances are always pretty late compared to other schools because of the high averages necessary for acceptance, so they wait for your final grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

- University of Toronto: Life Sciences (Faculty of Arts & Science) 
- Applied: late October. Transcript wasn't sent in until December though
- Accepted: December 20th. 
- Average: Grade 11 95%. Grade 12 97.6%. 
- Province: BC
- Also was offered U of T Scholar Admission Award. 

Also happy to answer any questions anyone has :) Happy new year! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congratulations!
May I inquire as to the amount of scholarship offered?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

wait you were already accepted for this year or was this last year???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you know if University of Toronto has sent out other acceptances...? I thought they started in February.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anon: I was offered $7500 as part of the 'Scholar' Award! 

Other anon: for the coming 2018-19 school year. I was surprised to hear back so early as well and didn't think they sent out letters until late January! But the earliest first round offers are made before the holiday break (before Dec 21 for this year). I had basically all my pre-reqs done already so that was probably part of the reason! 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is U of T your first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congrats on your admission!  I was admitted as well but was wondering where you find out if you have received a scholarship?  I received my offer on December 5th.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To the Anon above me, you hear about the scholarship offered to you within your offer of admission.
To the UT-admitted Anon, WOW that is very early! It must be one of the best Christmas gifts ever o.O   I'm also from BC and have yet to hear from them :( 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Anon: It's currently in my top few choices but I wouldn't say I have a single top choice as of right now! 

@other anon: It really was a pretty good Christmas gift :) Not to worry though, there's plenty more letters going out super soon and I hope and know that you'll be one of em. Good luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Which pre-requisites have you already completed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Queen's University Political Science 
Date applied: November 13
Date accepted: December 14
Grade 11 average of 90 current grade 12 average is a 91
received $2000 admission award
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lucky - I want to go into PoliSci at Queens hopefully I will get in
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Waterloo Life Science with Co-op, uOttawa Biology, Guelph Biological Sciences, and Dalhousie BScH 
Applied in late November, got accepted to all of them maybe 4 days later?
Grade 11 Average of 89, current Gr 12 average of 89
Was this helpful? Yes 0

congrats, do you plan on going into health care after undergraduate? Also why did you choose to apply to these schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Applied to: Waterloo, UTSG, UTSC, ryerson, UOIT Computer science and Uottawa Soft. eng.
Application date: Dec. 24, 2017
Grade 11 AVG.: 90.25%
Current avg: 96.5%
Offer Received: Actually I haven't received any offers as of yet, but i was worried since, uottawa and Ryerson are giving early applications to people with lower avgs than me. Why is this? As well as I have not received an email from waterloo of uft regarding if they have received my applications. So does that mean that I have to call them and ask if they have received my application, or should I wait? 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Wait a bit. Last year it took over a week for me to get an email from Waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

But would you know why im not getting an early acceptance to ryerson or uottawa, since people with lower averages are getting it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You submitted your application on the 24th? They won’t look at until next week or later. They’re on break too.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

Check in the promotions section of your mail. You might find the emails from those schools there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you haven't gotten a response from uOttawa eng yet than the early round is gone I believe. Most people I think (40% of the spots) are taken.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anyone received offers from SFU?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

This may sound totally dumb, but how do universities calculate your grade 11 average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, it is not dumb. I used to wonder too haha.
Anyways, unless you are applying early admission, universities don't generally consider your grade 11 marks at all. However, if you are applying early, they will substitute the grade 11 marks for the missing grade 12 mark. For example, since you don't have your grade 12 English mark ready, the Uni will use your grade 11 English final mark as a substitution. The "general average", or the average of all of your grade 11 classes, is useless and no Uni cares about that.

Was this helpful? Yes 4

I got in with my top 3 u/m courses from grade 11. Didn’t complete any grade 12 courses when I got my offer too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you guys soooo much :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do grade 10 grades matter ? because I was asked to submit all my high school transcripts. I am 105D applicant 

Also, has anyone heard from University of Toronto St. George Campus without doing the self report grades ? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Your grade 10 marks are important to the extent that the Unis know that you passed and met the required credit. They are completely useless for the admission process.
If you look above you a couple posts, a few people had been accepted to the St. George Campus.

Was this helpful? Yes 2

U of T website says their admission rounds don't start until February, and then in March, then in May I believe. If people have gotten accepted it's probably special circumstances or extremely high GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Program: Honours Bachelor of Health Sciences at UOttawa
Applied: Late November
Accepted: Early December
Average: 90%
Applied from Ontario!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Program: Con Ed Science @ Queen's University
Applied: Mid Nov.
Accepted: Dec. 14
Average: 90%-93%
Applied from Ontario :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you do both the general PSE and the con ed PSE?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

- Program and post-secondary institution : University of Alberta, Texas A&M University
- Date of application : Mid-November
- Date of offer : Late-November
- Admission average : 3.6 GPA
- Province you're applying from : International School in Korea
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Which program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Chemical Engineering :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ottawa University 
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences, as well as Bachelor of Science in Biopharmaceutical Sciences.
Grade 11 Average: 94
Grade 12 Average (so far): 96
Applied: Early November
Accepted: December 7th 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

For anyone who has been accepted to Queens U Bachelor of Science: were you chancellor's nominees and/or applicants for major admissions awards? Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi! I got into science dec 20th and I was a chancellor nominee! Hope that helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I got into Queen's Bachelor of Science on November 29th and was not a chancellor's nominee.  I did apply for the major admissions awards though.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

those that got in what was your grade 11 average? i'm chancellors nominee with 93% and haven't heard yet :( and applied in November
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I'm from a termed school so I had first term gr. 12 marks completed so they looked at that for my admission. That average was 97 when I got accepted! I'm sure you'll get in soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got accepted into Queens science today (January 3 2018) and applied around December 16 or 17. I wasn’t a chancellors nominee, but my Gr. 12 average was 98 and my Gr. 11 average was 97.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone who applied to McMaster, how long did it take to get an email from them acknowledging you applied?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got my email within 4 days. Make sure to check your junk folder as mine from McMaster was in junk. Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Program: Bachelor of Science Honours at Queens
Applied: December 17 2017
Accepted: January 3 2018
Average: 97 (Gr. 11), 98 (Gr. 12)
Applied from British Columbia
Didn’t even have to write the pse!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congrats! Did you have to check the portal, or did Queen's send a notification email to you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got into Quuen's Arts today. They sent an email. I study in England doing A levels and I'm predicted 3 As
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anyone been accepted to Queen's University for Concurrent Education?
Was this helpful? Yes 0