yconic - High School Co-op Program at Law Firm or Bank?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

High School Co-op Program at Law Firm or Bank?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey everyone,
So I just wanted to know if there are any law firms or banks in the GTA that takes high school co-op students?
I will have co-op in second semester in the coming school year.
Thanks in advance for you help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

Your Co-Op. teacher should have a master list of all places that will hire Co-Op. students. Law firms that will accept Co-Op. students are incredibly rare to find.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Ask your parent's friends. Seriously. Do you know any lawyers or people who work in a bank? They're your best bet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ This.

The only other way you get in to a law firm is if they don't pay you and you accept doing a ton of grunt work for them. You might get a fancy title that would look good on your resume, but you might have troubles explanning what your jobb actually entails (nothing really useful). Even if your friend's parents take you, you'll likely do a ton of grunt work btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

As of right now, I do not have any connections. This is why I wanted to know if there are actually any banks or law firms that would accept high school coop students

@g93 wrote
^ This.

The only other way you get in to a law firm is if they don't pay you and you accept doing a ton of grunt work for them. You might get a fancy title that would look good on your resume, but you might have troubles explanning what your jobb actually entails (nothing really useful). Even if your friend's parents take you, you'll likely do a ton of grunt work btw.

Since wherever my coop placement is will be in cooperations with my school board, I do realize that it will be an unpaid job. And as for "grunt work", I was wondering what you meant by that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ChelseaWang wrote

As of right now, I do not have any connections. This is why I wanted to know if there are actually any banks or law firms that would accept high school coop students

ou likely will only get in if you have connections. You do have a better shot at banks.

@ChelseaWang wrote

@g93 wrote
^ This.

Since wherever my coop placement is will be in cooperations with my school board, I do realize that it will be an unpaid job. And as for "grunt work", I was wondering what you meant by that.

You don't get paid at all for co-op at your school? I know not all of them are paid at my school but a lot of people do get paid.

Grunt work- the most laborious, menial, monotonous tasks that people at the firm/bank won't want to do. Quick examples include photocopying, filing, organizing stuff, etc. (it can get worse).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Getting coffee. You forgot that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@g93 wrote
You don't get paid at all for co-op at your school? I know not all of them are paid at my school but a lot of people do get paid.

Co-op students at my school don't get paid. Their placements happen during school hours and they get high school credits for it, so there's really no need to pay them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

When I did Co-Op. we were told it was illegal to pay Co-Op. students, which seems partially true and partially like an excuse to get free labour. lol

The only high school Co-Op. I know of that gets paid is the military Co-Op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
I have no idea if there are similar programs in Ontario, but I worked for a credit union as a bank teller from the summer after grade 10 until I moved away for university. However, it was a competitive program, and they needed for the entire summer as well so you got the experience you needed before school started. Something to look into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CalliePaascheton CalliePaascheton
sort of a late reply but I did Co-op in grade 11 in a Law office. It was a rather small office, not like a bay street business building or anything, but still, it was a law office. So all i'm saying is its totally possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CalliePaascheton wrote
sort of a late reply but I did Co-op in grade 11 in a Law office. It was a rather small office, not like a bay street business building or anything, but still, it was a law office. So all i'm saying is its totally possible.

Did co-op teachers find the placement for you and set up an interview? Or did you do it all by youself?
Was this helpful? Yes 0