yconic - Highschool courses for Physiotherapy
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Highschool courses for Physiotherapy

A photo of coryhagen coryhagen
[size=6]So I recently came to the conclusion that I want to take up Physiotherapy as my choice of career, but I'm not 100% on what courses I should be taking. I live in Ontario and I am currently in my second semester of grade 10. During my first semester, I had Careers and Civics, History, English and French. I am part of the french immersion program, and all classes are completed in the academic level. I had an 82% average, something I'm pretty proud of considering it's only my second year taking french and 3/4 of my courses were french. And now for my second semester, I have Science, Math, Phys.Ed, and Business, Phys.Ed being the only one offered in french aswell. But for my grade 11 year, I'm not completely sure on which classes I should be taking. So far I'm taking Math (Functions and Relations (U)) English (U) French (Immersion) (U) Biology (U) Chemistry (U) Physics (U)andPhys.Ed (Immersion).

At the moment, I'm unsure of what eighth class I should be taking, and if these are even the correct classes to be taking for a career such as Physiotherapy. Please let me know! And thank you to anyone who is taking his/her time to read this and willing to help out! [/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77
Well, I don't know all the courses your school offers, but I'll try my best to help you out. From what I know, Universities don't offer an actual "Physiotherapy" degree. BUT, going into Life Science, Biomedical Science, or the most relevant, Kinesiology would be helpful to get into a physiotherapy school.

To fulfill the requirements for any Life Science program you should be taking 1-2 4U maths, Bio, and Chem. For extra prep, if you should go into Kin or take Kin related courses, take exercise science in grade 12.

Hope I helped. If you have any questions about Life Science/Bio Med/Kin programs feel free to PM me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Victorinox Victorinox
Sorry, not to sound naive or anything, but what exactly is the difference between a physiotherapist and a chiropractor? Like why would anyone choose to see a physiotherapist when they can just go see a chiropractor, who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) has more training in the same field?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenUofT kathleenUofT

@coryhagen wrote
[size=6]So I recently came to the conclusion that I want to take up Physiotherapy as my choice of career, but I'm not 100% on what courses I should be taking. I live in Ontario and I am currently in my second semester of grade 10. During my first semester, I had Careers and Civics, History, English and French. I am part of the french immersion program, and all classes are completed in the academic level. I had an 82% average, something I'm pretty proud of considering it's only my second year taking french and 3/4 of my courses were french. And now for my second semester, I have Science, Math, Phys.Ed, and Business, Phys.Ed being the only one offered in french aswell. But for my grade 11 year, I'm not completely sure on which classes I should be taking. So far I'm taking Math (Functions and Relations (U)) English (U) French (Immersion) (U) Biology (U) Chemistry (U) Physics (U)andPhys.Ed (Immersion).

At the moment, I'm unsure of what eighth class I should be taking, and if these are even the correct classes to be taking for a career such as Physiotherapy. Please let me know! And thank you to anyone who is taking his/her time to read this and willing to help out! [/size]

Hi,

Thats an awesome career choice! I am a third year Kinesiology student at the university of Toronto and a lot of my classmates are entering into physio therapy. As you may or may not know, Physiotherapy is degree program you enter after completing your undergrad. That being said, your main focus should be getting into an interesting health science undergraduate program at university. At the University of Toronto, The prerequisites from highschool are Grade 12U English; 12U advanced function; 12U Biology; exercise science is preferred. Chemistry and physics are not required, so if they are not your strong point and you feel they may bring down your average I suggest not taking them (unless of course you enjoy them). Ultimately, your average is your foot in the door to university so keep your average as high as possible.
If you are considering kinesiology, I would suggest checking out my program. It is a love of fun and I love it. A very cool feature about our program is that we offer physical activity courses -we get to play sports and get a credit! In 3rd and 4th year you will be able to take a course called “sports medicine” which allows you to do a field care placement with a varsity team for the year, which is great preparation for physiotherapy. Hope this helps!! Check out the link!

www.utoronto.ca/physical/
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of runna4life runna4life

@Victorinox wrote
Sorry, not to sound naive or anything, but what exactly is the difference between a physiotherapist and a chiropractor? Like why would anyone choose to see a physiotherapist when they can just go see a chiropractor, who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) has more training in the same field?

Chiropractors and physiotherapists don't exactly do the same thing...although they may work together, chiropractors specifically concentrate on the spine and back, physiotherapists deal with the whole body. If there is anything to do with muscle injuries, 9 times out of 10 the patient will go see a physiotehrapist. That's just the norm for doctors to recommend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0