yconic - Highschool Courses To Take! Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Highschool Courses To Take! Help!

A photo of StillHopes StillHopes
Hey guys,

As my course selection is coming up, I am just wondering what you guys took in high school before going onto your business majors. I am not 100% confident in my career path at this point and I am thinking I should choose the sciences e.g. physics, bio, chem. However, with these sciences and the pre reqs e.g. english, maths (2), I am worried that I will hinder my average. Is there any advice you guys can give me? I would appreciate any and all discussion, but I ask that you stay on topic and try to be helpful :) Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@StillHopes wrote
Hey guys,

As my course selection is coming up, I am just wondering what you guys took in high school before going onto your business majors. I am not 100% confident in my career path at this point and I am thinking I should choose the sciences e.g. physics, bio, chem. However, with these sciences and the pre reqs e.g. english, maths (2), I am worried that I will hinder my average. Is there any advice you guys can give me? I would appreciate any and all discussion, but I ask that you stay on topic and try to be helpful :) Thank you.

I was 100% sure that I want to go into business back in grade 9..so it's kinda different.
I fasttracked law, international business and world history in grade 11.
Last semester I had data, advanced functions and english and you can see what I'm taking this semester from my siggy.
In my opinion, if you know you want to go into business, then those sciences are useless and unless your a pro in science, it'll drag your average down..
If you wanna do business, then defs take data since i find it very helpful, so does economics. Accounting and international business are just mark boosters and pretty fun as well.English and funciton you have to take, so you can then choose between taking 2 spares or some birdy courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote

@StillHopes wrote
Hey guys,

I was 100% sure that I want to go into business back in grade 9..so it's kinda different.
I fasttracked law, international business and world history in grade 11.
Last semester I had data, advanced functions and english and you can see what I'm taking this semester from my siggy.
In my opinion, if you know you want to go into business, then those sciences are useless and unless your a pro in science, it'll drag your average down..
If you wanna do business, then defs take data since i find it very helpful, so does economics. Accounting and international business are just mark boosters and pretty fun as well.English and funciton you have to take, so you can then choose between taking 2 spares or some birdy courses.

That's really awesome man, looking at your marks, I feel compelled to follow your example. I'm not bad at the sciences in general, yet I'm worried as 11th grade will be the first time science becomes split up into three subjects. What amazes me is your ability to identify your interests so easily at a young age. How did you arrive at the conclusion that business was at your best interest versus other options, and were you ready to take business whether or not you were able to get into the top programs?

P.S. what's your top choice for the schools you have applied? and how are your EC's, seeing your marks are definitely sufficient for many of the programs.

P.S.S. What's your recommendation for someone like me who isn't sure that they will go into business and is well oriented in the sciences? Do you think the workload alone will drag me down or otherwise?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Take 3 maths. The rest doesn't matter as long as you work hard and get a high average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote
Take 3 maths. The rest doesn't matter as long as you work hard and get a high average.

I think that would be my eventual road, however, any clues on whether the workload from the sciences alone combined with the maths will hinder my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@StillHopes wrote
That's really awesome man, looking at your marks, I feel compelled to follow your example. I'm not bad at the sciences in general, yet I'm worried as 11th grade will be the first time science becomes split up into three subjects. What amazes me is your ability to identify your interests so easily at a young age. How did you arrive at the conclusion that business was at your best interest versus other options, and were you ready to take business whether or not you were able to get into the top programs?

P.S. what's your top choice for the schools you have applied? and how are your EC's, seeing your marks are definitely sufficient for many of the programs.

P.S.S. What's your recommendation for someone like me who isn't sure that they will go into business and is well oriented in the sciences? Do you think the workload alone will drag me down or otherwise?

Yeh see, besides the ENG4U, MHF4U, MCV4U, I took international business, law and world history. I'm gonna use BAT4M to replace history since I'll get way higher mark in acocunitng. Remember: universities dont judge what courses you took, all they care is have you took all the prerequisites and your overall average, and you'll see the importance of birdy courses next year- from the bad cases of your mates)

Well, my mom works in a bank while my dad is a surgeon and because my mom always watch bloomberg at home and talk about random economic/business news, it just became interesting for me gradually. I'm not bad at science as well, it's just I had to study very hard in order to get the mark I want in science while I dont have to do much for business to get the same mark. Look at the programs that I've applied, I'd say that Rotman, Mcgill, UBC, Mac and Waterloo are all fairly decent and I;m pretty sure I can get into at least one of those programs.

Top choice is Sauder at UBC cuz their business program is amazing! I love the intership, exchange and you can study another language there (planning to do German).. and my EC's are decent, its just depends on your ability to bs it.
If you dont really know what you want to do and want to keep your selections wide open, take 2 sciences (SBI3U and SCH3U-these 2 courses can pretty much allow you to apply to any programs), and then ENG3U, MCR3U. Maybe try law (CLU3M-fairly easy since its a M course) and some grade 12 birdy courses! If you have completed some grade 12 courses with decent marks in grade 11, universities are more likely to offer you early acceptance!

feel free to message me if you have any other questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@StillHopes wrote

@MINTOK wrote

I think that would be my eventual road, however, any clues on whether the workload from the sciences alone combined with the maths will hinder my chances?

That really depends on you and your abilities. I know that everything can be managed and if you wanted to, you could take all sciences and get a 98. Do you want to do it? That's a decision you have to make for yourself. It is a part of growing up. If yiu are 100% set on business, taking accounting, international business and economics wouldnmake your life easier while still allowing you to accomplish your goal and get into a program of your choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
If you aren't sure and you're still interested in sciences, take them anyway. From what I gather, you're in grade 10, so you'll be going into grade 11 next year. You still have grade 11 to explore your interests. I have a ton of friends who took sciences in grade 11, decided not to take them in grade 12, and are applying to business programs. You can change your route from science to business, but not business to science. Grade 11 marks aren't super important anyway. Personally I took lots of different courses in high school. I did visual arts, some business courses, sciences, etc. I knew I didn't like biology so I never took it in grade 11 or 12. I was considering going into business, but I found that I enjoy sciences more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
If you have even the slightest intention to go into anything other than business (unless it's like arts or something) take at least chem and bio/physics. This is just my opinion but you still have enough room to take all 3 maths + English + 2 more bird courses in grade 12 and fast track a couple more in grade 11. Personally I'm applying to business taking all 3 sciences this year (fast tracked calc and functions) and my top 6 will actually be my sciences, 2 maths, and English and I have a decently competitive average for most business schools, so it's not exactly impossible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0