yconic - Highschool student question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Highschool student question

A photo of mousaowns mousaowns
Hi Guys,
I plan on going into engineering in University and I was wondering.. I'm currently in grade 10, would it be smart for me to fast track chem and physics next year? So, Take the g12 courses in second semester. The only reason I'm thinking about this is because this will give me a lot more time to focus on the maths in grade 12.
Any Input?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, No idea where this would go.
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I don't think you should do both in one year.
If you're really keen about it, just fast track one.
If you're very good with your numbers and calculations as well as applying concept.. I suggest doing Phys 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Fast track math, do adv functions (grade 12 math) in grade 11, and calculus if you have the time. If you REALLY want, just take one science, but I know of very few people who have ever fast tracked science :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
I wouldn't reccomend fast-tracking the sciences, taking advanced functions first is usually a better idea.

I was turned off of the idea of taking Grade 12 sciences in Grade 11 second sem because I knew that if I did, I would get to university not having taken those subjects in well over a year. (for me, the wait would have been from Feb-June 2010 until September 2011) I didn't want to enter university having not studied physics or chemistry for over a year.

However, don't hesitate to take them if you feel that won't be an issue for you. It all depends on what you think you're capable of, I guess. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@steele wrote
I wouldn't reccomend fast-tracking the sciences, taking advanced functions first is usually a better idea.

I was turned off of the idea of taking Grade 12 sciences in Grade 11 second sem because I knew that if I did, I would get to university not having taken those subjects in well over a year. (for me, the wait would have been from Feb-June 2010 until September 2011) I didn't want to enter university having not studied physics or chemistry for over a year.

However, don't hesitate to take them if you feel that won't be an issue for you. It all depends on what you think you're capable of, I guess. :)

This was my reasoning, as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of snoro snoro
It wouldnt be wise to fast track on the sciences. do so on the maths though, it might be more helpful. In grade 10, i went ahead and took physics. So before i entered grade11, i had already completed 11U & 12U physics. it wasnt very useful, and definitely isnt recommended if you are going into engineering. you're just going to forget it all.

Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mousaowns mousaowns
Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for all the replies.
I was looking over waterloo's description for courses and in the chemistry description it said it was mostly a review of highschool, but for physics it said a continuation.
Isn't first year university usually review of what you need to know in the beginning, before you go into new topics anyway?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I haven't experienced this firsthand, but I hear universities generally spend maybe the first 2-3 weeks basically covering the entire grade 12 curriculum before actually moving on to what they believe is "university level" work. But because there is such a gap between some curriculums (IB/AP/private schools vs. public/catholic schools) most students will have a varying opinion on how "hard" and how big of a gap there is between grade 12 and first year university. However my brother says first year chemistry for engineering students at Waterloo is really hard (he failed lol) so I wouldn't take it as a joke. Same with any other courses I guess lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tobias Tobias
My teachers and guidance counselors warned me to NOT fast track any of the sciences and Calculus at all. They actually suggested that if you want to lessen your load, take your English courses in summer school. I don't know if that's an option for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I fast-tracked math, no problem. If you've got the brains and the work ethic, you can do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SaugasFinest SaugasFinest

@mousaowns wrote
Hi Guys,
I plan on going into engineering in University and I was wondering.. I'm currently in grade 10, would it be smart for me to fast track chem and physics next year? So, Take the g12 courses in second semester. The only reason I'm thinking about this is because this will give me a lot more time to focus on the maths in grade 12.
Any Input?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, No idea where this would go.
Thanks.

I fast tracked bio in gr 10. WORST.MISTAKE.EVER. Don't do it, I did REALLY badly in bio.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smandair smandair
If you want to fast track, do it with English. That's what I did and it made the load in Gr 12 a lot easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
I fast tracked physics, it went pretty well compared to my friends who fast tracked math. I would stick to taking math in the regular stream and fast tracking either chem or physics, don't do both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0